Nightmare Gulch Closure

Out of curiosity, I emailed the HMFIC regarding the specific reasons that Nightmare Gulch is closed and how long the closure will be in effect.  The following is the reply I received.  You have got to love the bureaucrat-speak in answering my questions....words without any answers included.

As you know, The Gulch is being temporary closed for public safety and natural resource protection, because of a summer storm that caused damage to the area. This is common in State Parks and State Vehicle Recreation Area’s when storms and other events (wildfires, floods, mudslides, etc.) destroy portions of the Park.

We are working on the problem, this closure applies only to vehicle traffic. The Gulch is still open to hiking.

This was a managerial decision and one of the reasons for closure is to prevent further damage. An environmental review is pending to determine the proper method to repair the area. At this point, I don't know when the Gulch will be reopened. I know this is a major disappointment and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Rick Reisenhofer

I like the excuse of the gov't shutdown....Red Rock is a State Park, nothing to do with the Fed's...but it sounds good.

Also, what trail maintenance are they talking about?  Opening and closing the gates?

We have lost.

On another rant, last week after watching the Super Cross in Las Vegas, I spent a night over at Temple Bar, AZ.

I have been going to TB since 1978.  On several trips there, we used to take a day off from water skiing and drive the jeeps/4WD trucks around the desert south and east of TB over to Meadview/Greg's Hideout/etc.  There is an abandoned mine that we used to go in and look around, 1100 feet deep.  In the past, it was easy to find with jeep tracks leading up to it and a trail that led up to the actual mine(s).  The mine was full of bats which was kind of neat.  You would wake them up going past them, they would fly to the entrance, notice it was still daylight, and fly back, running into whoever was leading the way out.  Bats will fly right into you.

Last weekend I did a solo ride around the area looking for this mine and re-visiting the entire area.  The roads that used to be very primitive are now graded like freeways.  There are windmill farm test sites in the area with notices of re-zoning to allow such activity.  Of course all off road travel is prohibited.  This is really out in the middle of nowhere.  The great sand washes are now prohibited.

It took me a lot of looking for the old mine before I found it.  All tracks/trails leading to it are gone.  I finally spotted it and rode up a rocky wash till I could conceal the bike and hike the rest of the way up.  The mine entrances are all fenced with barbed wire.  I finally climbed the fence and looked around.  Just another piece of history controlled and taken off the radar.

Oh yeah, we used to do some shooting while driving around.  There are now signs prohibiting all target shooting.

The tour helicopters flying overhead every ten minutes at 300' AGL also adds to the sense of desolation.

Soon, there will not be any place left in the US that is not controlled/zoned/regulated and policed.

Rant over.

Edited by bobc1

Yeah, I like how the just now closed ok Nightmare but people have been running it since the "rains". I the the Enviro's prolly thought it has been too hot for them and this was the first opportunity for them to get out so when the ventured up ther they said oh, shit, we can't have this, we must close this, and spend a couple of years assessing how to move some rocks without affecting the mating habits of some fvcking lizard or native weed that has 1 flower on it. Asshats and the asshat Park Service that goes along with it. Letters and emails need to inidate their office!

• Like 1

RR facebook page made a post that nightmare was closed 
permanently, But after some pressure from all different types
of OHV folks, 4x4, and others, They since pulled the post 
to made it temporary.

I have issue with this, Because its all so easy to just close 
a trail from Enviro pressure,One of the main probs I see 
on this, There was quite a storm though that area a couple 
of weeks ago, So there was some damage from the storm 

State Parks usually folds under pressure from CBD and others 
they are reluctant to go in and do ANY mechanical maintenance
even a small BobCat, So Im not convinced they will do repairs
if necessary, it much easier to just close the stupid thing

We lost "Steep Trail" a few years ago, it took quite a while 
after waffling over questions like "WHY" I believe they finally 
came out with a flimsy answer siting a cultural site was being 
disturbed.

RR facebook page made a post that nightmare was closed permanently, But after some pressure from all different typesof OHV folks, 4x4, and others, They since pulled the post to made it temporary.I have issue with this, Because its all so easy to just close a trail from Enviro pressure,One of the main probs I see on this, There was quite a storm though that area a couple of weeks ago, So there was some damage from the storm State Parks usually folds under pressure from CBD and others they are reluctant to go in and do ANY mechanical maintenanceeven a small BobCat, So Im not convinced they will do repairsif necessary, it much easier to just close the stupid thingWe lost "Steep Trail" a few years ago, it took quite a while after waffling over questions like "WHY" I believe they finally came out with a flimsy answer siting a cultural site was being disturbed.

Sounds like we need to press the issue on a walking guided tour with them so they can point out the damage.

NOO, no no, nonono..... that would require them to answer to somebody outside of their ranks, people with common sense and a questioning attitide, can't have that........  You might make them think outside their narrow regulated world.

Go to public forums, question everything and get MAD!!  Be the pain in the ass, the one they are afraid of....take us on the tour of the "culturally sensitive area" so we (the public) can see what you are basing your policy on.  And then raise the Bullshit flag and call them out.

• Like 1

This cracks me up...  how can a place named NIGHTMARE GULCH need repair from a storm. Total Oxi-moron.

If those wackjobs were here a few million years ago they'd have sued the Park Service for allowing the Grand Canyon to form...  as it was clearly a devestation of the northern AZ desert !  IDIOTS 

Earth belongs to MAN.  Mother Nature trumps MAN. End of story.

It's really difficult for me to just let it go....another arbitrary closure that they hope just goes unnoticed and does not rock their boat.

I replied to the reply:

Hello Rick Reisenhofer:

Was this your decision?  If not, whose was it?

Once again, what specific damage?  It is a rocky sand wash and it has been rained on and had flash floods through it for eons.
  • Like 1