Sign in to follow this  

rmz 450 -11 wont start.

so the bike run really good before i began doing some maintenance.. and now it wont start. it got spark and it got fuel on the sparkplug when kicking it.
the only thing i did was checking compression with a faulty gauge, so the only thing ive done is remove the tank and changed the air/fuel mixture coupler to the rich one.i changed back to stock and it didnt help either. 

do i have to reset something in the ecm or what?! im out of ideas.. 

Should the TO sensor have a loose thing inside of it?it rattles.

Check you tank connection since you said that is the only thing you really messed with. Sounds like it may be a fuel pump issue. Make sure the Fuel pump is getting constistant power. 

Edited by BDubb106

Go over connections. Didnt break spark plug cap? How is fuel? Has to be something simple.

• Like 1

fuel is good.sparkplug aint broke because it got spark at the tip.
actually the lock on the connection to the fuel pump is broken.both ends might not come close enough as it now. im gonna try stripe it on to see if thats the problem.

Edited by K-JA

fuel is good.sparkplug aint broke because it got spark at the tip.

actually the lock on the connection to the fuel pump is broken.both ends might not come close enough as it now. im gonna try stripe it on to see if thats the problem.

Love it when I'm right for once :thumbsup: Hopefully that fixes your issue! 

• Like 1

kicked like a maniac with the choke on now. still the sparkplug was barely wet.. but the fuel pump squirts out alot of fuel from the hose when im kicking it. the injector might be clugged or a sensor is broken..is the injector under the fuel line?(as in. is it easy to remove?)

Darn, that sucks. You had to let me get cocky before you posted that I was wrong huh? LOL

Really easy to remove though. I just took mine apart for a clean while removing the motor to send off to Yosh about a week ago. 

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/SUZUKI/2011/RMZ450/THROTTLE-BODY-%28RM_Z450-K8~K9~L0%29

Edited by BDubb106

now i found the problem and fixed it! when i removed the sparkplug it fell some dirt into the cylinder and made the piston rings get stuck so they couldnt slide against the walls. hence why it didnt start.
No scratches on the cylinder or the piston!
Both the intake valves and the exhaust where out of spec. 0.117 on ex and 0.08 on in. i talked with a suzuki expert and he told me that the shim chart in the service manual is kinda wrong. intake should be 0.17 and ex should be 0.20! so i shimmed it to that spec and now it runs great again!

apperently you can use the powerwasher into the hole where the sparkplug is to clean it! it got a hole somewhere that leads the water out of the hole. i would never dare to do that if he didnt say this haha.

And i found a poorly designed feature. the sensor in the airbox is poorly sealed. the 2 screws that holds it in place has a tendecy to suck in unfiltered air into the airbox. i sealed it with silicon so that should never be a problem!

now i found the problem and fixed it! when i removed the sparkplug it fell some dirt into the cylinder and made the piston rings get stuck so they couldnt slide against the walls. hence why it didnt start.

No scratches on the cylinder or the piston!

Both the intake valves and the exhaust where out of spec. 0.117 on ex and 0.08 on in. i talked with a suzuki expert and he told me that the shim chart in the service manual is kinda wrong. intake should be 0.17 and ex should be 0.20! so i shimmed it to that spec and now it runs great again!

apperently you can use the powerwasher into the hole where the sparkplug is to clean it! it got a hole somewhere that leads the water out of the hole. i would never dare to do that if he didnt say this haha.

And i found a poorly designed feature. the sensor in the airbox is poorly sealed. the 2 screws that holds it in place has a tendecy to suck in unfiltered air into the airbox. i sealed it with silicon so that should never be a problem!

im no expert but I sure as hell would not pressure wash down the spark plug hole

• Like 1

im no expert but I sure as hell would not pressure wash down the spark plug hole

neither am i. and that is the problem! this mechanic has been to an education day for the FI rmz 4 strokes in belgium.

.17 exhaust .20 intake

I don't think so go with the manual

I trust this mechanic more than the the childsbook called manual...He told me that the valve scheme is off in the service manual.

it runs great now anyway! starts on the first kick when warm and sometimes on first and never more than 2 kicks when cold.