Sign in to follow this  

Splitting Cases

I'm buying a bottom end kit for my bike in a few days. Instead of paying somebody to split the cases, or buying all the stuff to di it, it there a way I can do it my self without a flywheel puller, clutch hub holder and case splitter? I don't have much money and am trying to get this done effectively and so it will last for as cheap as possible, which is the main reason I went with a 2 stroke. Thank you :)

Yes it can be done with more simple tools....but i would not recommend it ...You can easily damage parts that are costly to replace. 

The only setback in the rebuild thus far is weather to buy the tools and do it myself or pay a shop to do it.

You need the flywheel puller.  They are only $10 from Motosport or wherever.

If you're replacing the crank, you can tap on the end of the old crank, gently, to split the cases.  A puller is better for inexperienced mechanics though.  check out the Pinned threads for Eds case splitting threads.  I use an open end wrench for a crank tool. Find the closest fitting wrench, if it's too loose just wrap it with a couple pieces of masking tape.

CrankWrench002.jpg

You need the flywheel puller. They are only $10 from Motosport or wherever.

If you're replacing the crank, you can tap on the end of the old crank, gently, to split the cases. A puller is better for inexperienced mechanics though. check out the Pinned threads for Eds case splitting threads. I use an open end wrench for a crank tool. Find the closest fitting wrench, if it's too loose just wrap it with a couple pieces of masking tape.

Posted Image

Oddly enough, the other day, when my mom and her boyfriend came home from town, moms boyfriend had bought a steering wheel puller from princess auto for $15, 1/2 off. Im just a little befuddled as to if there is anything i can use to get the cases together with the new crank that's not a "proper tool".

The steering wheel puller is used as a case splitter, not a flywheel puller.

To assemble the cases, use the heat/cold method.

Make sure you use case sealer, Yamabond, Three Bond, etc.  NOT silicone.

Not sure where your at. But we have a shop around here that will actually rent alot of those less commonly owned tools. Maybe call around to a few.

The steering wheel puller is used as a case splitter, not a flywheel puller.

To assemble the cases, use the heat/cold method.

Make sure you use case sealer, Yamabond, Three Bond, etc. NOT silicone.

I believe we have a flywheel puller, because moms boyfriend (practically step dad) used to work on bikes. I may use the hot-and-cold method to install the crank. Im a little confused as to how id heat the bearings. Blow torch? I also plan on using Yamabond 4 for the case halves.

Not sure where your at. But we have a shop around here that will actually rent alot of those less commonly owned tools. Maybe call around to a few.

Thanks! Ill have to call around later once i know what i have and dont have.

Just do a search, you put the parts in the oven and freezer.

This works pretty well. I just did it the other day. Helps to have a second set of hands