Baja Designs Squadron Doesn't Fit '13 KTM Xc ? help ?

Just got a Baja Designs Squadron Led for my '13 Ktm Xc . I start installing it and it's just not looking right. The posts on the fender don't line up, mask holes are wider than fender posts holes. The top of it where the standoffs and straps wrap the forks don't seem right either.

Seems to stick out way too far. I told them I have a '13 Ktm Xc 300 when I ordered. I'd call them but they are closed til monday . The mask has "KTM" imprinted on the back of it. The booklet says part# 49-7041 & 49-7051 2005-on KTM Squadron installation.... what the heck ??                 Am I missing something obvious ???  Maybe wrong light ??20131026_134155_zpsbc0565c6.jpg20131026_134440_zps27e006dc.jpg20131026_134336_zpsc5b991c7.jpg

Anyone see something obvious that im missing ???  Thanks in advance

Looks like the mask is for a 2012 unit, the fenders aren't the same....

The post holes in the mask would fit over the posts on 2012 fender. In 2013 the fender changed and the post became part of the number plate...

Edited by originalmonk

OK thanks man. I figured something was wrong.  another 2 weeks delivery time from Cali ...Grrrrr....

Thanks again though.

-------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have a light on a '13 XC ??? Which one fits ?

Edited by avocasingletrack

I acquired a 2014 Ktm mask and have the Squadron XL mounted in it.

I dont see any way this will work on a 2013 Ktm XC . The front of the mask

has to be pushed away from the triples almost 4 inches in order to give the

back of the LED heat sink clearance from the frame head tube.

Any other configuration leaves the beam shining up far too high

or the LED head sink and power wire rubbing into the head tube.

The LED itself makes great light and seems to have a good spread

but this Squadron XL in the 2014 mask is just not a "finished product"

yet and definitely needs some refinement and re thinking.

If ANYONE has a Squadron mounted on a 2013 XC (not XC-W) , please post some

pics from above the bars and side view. Thanks much.

Edited by avocasingletrack

I really thought the 14 mask would work. I have the squadron on my 450 and the mask does sit about 4 inches away from the upper triple. Which I was fine with because my TrailTech voyager fills the gap nicely.

Here it is on my 09 450

IMG_20130630_200137.jpgIMG_20130829_184641.jpgIMG_20130501_121115.jpg

Its going to sit farther away from the triples than the stock number plate no matter what you do. Small sacrifice for a lot of light.

Edited by hezzdown

Its going to sit farther away from the triples than the stock number plate no matter what you do. Small sacrifice for a lot of light.

Thats a squadron Led, not a squadron XL , they are different the heatsink in back is much smaller and that bike is either an XC-W or has the older type front fender which is different on the '13 XC

Are you saying the heat sink is larger on the XL?

Yes, that is an older 2009 XCW in my pictures. I know, not the same. I was just showing you that they do sit pretty far out regardless.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the XL mounted in the '14 mask. The guys at BD have had to mounted one already.

Then again there is always the old stand by man... Duct Tape!! Not only does it get the job done, but also provides strikingly good looks and a couple bonus HP. :-/

Seriously though, there's gotta be a way to mount it.

• Like 1

Are you saying the heat sink is larger on the XL?

Yes, that is an older 2009 XCW in my pictures. I know, not the same. I was just showing you that they do sit pretty far out regardless.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the XL mounted in the '14 mask. The guys at BD have had to mounted one already.

Then again there is always the old stand by man... Duct Tape!! Not only does it get the job done, but also provides strikingly good looks and a couple bonus HP. :-/

Seriously though, there's gotta be a way to mount it.

Yes, the Squadron XL heatsink (black aluminum finned housing on back) is about 4 times the size of the Squadron LED. I don't see the reason for it, they are the same Cree led emitters. I may make a video of whats going on today. I can fabricate something to jerry rig it but ya know what, for $450 bucks it should kinda work outta the box. THen they give me these flimsy standoffs that wouldnt last 5 mins on the trail around here...  I just don't think the XL was a well thought out and tested product as it's listed as being "Specific to the '13 Ktm Xc . I'd be curious to see how many people actually have it mounted on a '13 XC ( NOT A 13 XC-W which is different) . Another problem with the mask protruding so far forward is that the there isnt enough slack in the front brake cable now so I have to trim down the front of the '14 mask. To top it off, they sent me the wrong harness... This harness does not have the correct connector to fit the connector on the back of the light.   :thumbsdn:

Anyways, thanks for posting the pics Hezz !

Calling out to Baja Designs! They are active here on TT. They will make it right. They helped me out a ton when I mounted my Squadron.

As an alternative it my be possible to run the brake cable behind the mask. I've seen others do this.

Also as a last resort, what about just going with the Squadron rather than the XL? The one on my 450 is awesome.

Calling out to Baja Designs! They are active here on TT. They will make it right.

Also as a last resort, what about just going with the Squadron rather than the XL? The one on my 450 is awesome.

It has been sort of a fiasco ... they initially sent me the regular squadron, which I would have been fine with except that

it was mounted in a mask that only fits the 2012 and previous XC front fenders and the 2013 XC-W , not the 2013 XC .

The regular squadron puts out just as much light but I don't know if it fits into the 2014 mask.

I think they said the opening in the '14 mask is bigger and the regular squadron doesnt fit it.

Om gonna try and take some pics and maybe video of what's going on.

Thanks for the help and suggestions man !

I almost ran into the same problem when I bought one for my 13'. I called them up to order it and they told me they didn't have one for the 13/14 mask yet. Luckily I just switched the triple clamps and front fender from my 11' and bought the mask that would work with that setup. This was about a month ago so I'm not sure if BD has come up with something yet

Hey

avocasingletrack 

Did you receive the light returned mounted in the 14 shell for your bike? 

Just a note for everybody else that has a 2013 XC the fender that KTM uses on the 13 XCs is the newer rigid style fender.It is different then the 2013 XCW fender. The new style fender is compatible with the 14+ headlight shells.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Baja Designs

Yes, it's in a '14 KTM mask . It mounts up to the "I beam" '14 fender properly but that's where the good fit ends. When you attach the rubber straps to the mask, the back of the LED heatsink ends up pushing into the frame head tube ... and this is while the light is not even aimed low enough yet. In order to aim the light properly, the metal part of the light has to be adjusted back farther, pressing the heatsink and power cable even more into the frame and head tube.

The SQUADRON XL IN A '14 MASK FITS THE '14 KTM FENDER BUT IT DOESN'T FIT AT THE TOP AND SIDES (RUBBER STRAPS TO FORK TUBES)

There are two flimsy plastic brackets that I am assuming are included to "standoff" the top of the mask farther off the fork tubes , problem is these brackets have no round holes to push the rubber strap grommets into.  I had to hold the top of the mask almost 4 inches off the triples to give a fair amount of clearance between the heatsink and the steering head tube.  Although I am not doing anything to the metel LED element itself, I am currently trying to fabricate something stronger and more durable to "standoff" the upper sides of the mask off the fork tubes. I've had 3 buddies here looking at this and we all come to the conclusion that this is not gonna work with what is supplied.

Anyone reading (and wondering) , if you have a regular Squadron LED (not the XL) , the XL metal housing and heatsink is about 3 times the size in the back.

If anyone has a Squadron XL mounted on a "13 ktm XC , please post pics from above showing enough clearance between the heatsink and steering head tube.

The Squadron XL puts out a huge wall of nicely dispersed light so it's quite a let down that it just isnt a good fit with my bike.

Here it is on my 09 450IMG_20130630_200137.jpgIMG_20130829_184641.jpgIMG_20130501_121115.jpgIts going to sit farther away from the triples than the stock number plate no matter what you do. Small sacrifice for a lot of light.

Here it is on my 09 450IMG_20130630_200137.jpgIMG_20130829_184641.jpgIMG_20130501_121115.jpgIts going to sit farther away from the triples than the stock number plate no matter what you do. Small sacrifice for a lot of light.

I have an 08 530 exc and just purchased the same BD squadron. Did you have to make any changes or was it plug and play?

I have an 08 530 exc and want to instal the Baja Designs squadron. Is there anything I need or is it plug and play. I've read talk on replacing the stator if it's not a 4k3

I have an 08 530 exc and want to instal the Baja Designs squadron. Is there anything I need or is it plug and play. I've read talk on replacing the stator if it's not a 4k3

For that bike you will have to do a stator modification and there are three options that you can chose form. You can do the ground float yourself if you are comfortable soldering and crimping (http://i2admin05.webstorepackage.com/baja2/virtualweb/images/k3-stator-mod.pdf) OR we can perform the ground float for $30 (http://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=761FAB10213E4D63818515748568F97C). If you plan on running more stuff on the bike with the light such as a fan, you will have to get rewind (http://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=9BB3846F5634451D87BACF00E7AF94A4). Here is the link to the full KTM DC conversion kit if you would like to do the stator yourself: http://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=D7E50080A85C4F7A9D5C05A2234657E4. The Squadron Pro is not a DOT approved light and is just an on and off function. We do offer a dimmer box that allows you to dim the light from 0 – 100 percent in ten percent increments with high beam being 100 percent (http://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=01E79E12ABF544E2942437B66DF42738).