Sign in to follow this  

problem with eddies map?

I recently sent my ecm to get remapped by eddie and have been having issues somewhat prior and even worse after the remap. it seems like its running lean. plugs are coming out very white and cold starting can be a pain. it also has been killing plugs after 8 or so hours and will not start unless replaced. once its running it runs fine and hasnt got hot enough to puke any coolant or backfire, sputter, any of those things.

checked all my connections and cleaned the mass airflow sensor, checked the valve clearance, ect. still seems lean.

not sure if its the map or possibly a bad sensor? Fuel pump is the new updated pump with a splitstream fuel filter before it saw its first drop of gas. piston is almost due to be replaced @60 hours, not sure if that would change anything. using the silmar 9a9s plug.

We had a similar problem with spark plugs going bad in a very short time. Same difficult starting. Same white coloring.

Our ordeal started with a cracked piston, and then another, before I figured it out.

Turned out to be the head leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. It was a very minimal amount and the bike didn't seem to require any more coolant then normal. One of these days I'm going to clean up the head and see if I can figure out where it was leaking in from. Its probably somewhere around the exhaust port since since there seems to be a good amount of corrosion looking stuff in there. the bike we had the problem with was a 12.  I had a new head from our 9 sitting on the shelf that never got used so onto the the 12 it went. 

I think the cause of this was a bad can of pump gas. Probably 87 coming out of a pump labeled for 93.

Since your due for a piston you have nothing to loose by taking it apart and having a look inside. I'm pretty sure you will find greyish sludge inside. and you have the same problem we had.

Edited by nesc103y

There's no MAF on these bikes, but there is a MAP, manifold absolute pressure. It's pretty easy to destroy the MAP with common cleaning chemicals!

Sounds like you do have something else going on, as nesc stated.

And be sure to use at least 25% aluminum-friendly cooland with the balance distilled water! Not tap water.

Edited by Eddie8v

I recently sent my ecm to get remapped by eddie and have been having issues somewhat prior and even worse after the remap. it seems like its running lean. plugs are coming out very white and cold starting can be a pain. it also has been killing plugs after 8 or so hours and will not start unless replaced. once its running it runs fine and hasnt got hot enough to puke any coolant or backfire, sputter, any of those things.

checked all my connections and cleaned the mass airflow sensor, checked the valve clearance, ect. still seems lean.

not sure if its the map or possibly a bad sensor? Fuel pump is the new updated pump with a splitstream fuel filter before it saw its first drop of gas. piston is almost due to be replaced @60 hours, not sure if that would change anything. using the silmar 9a9s plug.

Call the guy and see how lean he made it. On my 250 I had 11 10 Mods do mine, way too lean and the bike would have blown had I kept riding it. Sent it to Tokyo Mods and had them remap it. It was ridiculous how lean it was from 11 10. After TM got done it was perfect. Now I have a Vortex and can change the settings with a screwdriver in less that a minute. Figure out the problem before it's a major problem.

I don't think there's a chance in heck that Eddie's mapping is too lean and I doubt he made a mistake programming the ECU with a lean mapping. Absolutely reach out to him ASAP, maybe he can help. But it does sound like to you need a piston/ring set anyhow, so no harm in tearing the motor apart to see if there's anything amiss in there.

You stated a problem before the remap and one after, and I assume the bike was running decent before all this started. If you're not getting any MIL blinking light codes it could be as simple as a plugged injector and/or a fuel pump issue.

Edited by Eddie8v

There's always a chance Eddie. Never say never.

Oh so true, but improbable in this case with an odd-running bike before the remap. IMO.

Thanks a ton for the information guys. I am gonna have to do some poking tomorrow on some of the points you all made.

I agree it is doubtful that its eddies map.

Took it to the track today with a plug that has 2hrs on it. started up cold after 4-5 kicks and fired up first kick after every moto.

Im sure eventually after 8+ hours it will get hard to start cold again and eventually kill a plug. The bike runs fantastic once its running, which makes me think it is some sort of very very minimal coolant leak as nesc said? But then i have had no cracked pistons or ANY other signs other than my plug dying. Bike has 30-40 hours on it since this problem surfaced, and went through around 5 plugs. I only use engine ice. Any other electronic issues that could be causing this? Bike isnt throwing any codes.

Be careful! If you're running lean you can mess up that motor, or hurt the rider if it fails!