dr 650

Hello every body new here. looking to buy left over dr 650 , all i hear is carb trouble, i have to ride it 400 miles is the friggin thing going to quit? lean cond get worse when its cool . should i buy a main jet ?  or raise the neddle? or both

If left stock should be fine, might see a slight improvement by shimming the needle with a #4 washer and removing the plug covering the idle mix fuel screw so it can be adjusted, costs nothing.

The problem comes up when you start messing with the airbox and muffler then you must do the above and often a different needle.

Bruce

thanx for info bruce, is that the only way to adjust the needle by shimming it ? is that wy people replace it? and one other thing cn i get to the mixture without pulling the bike apart?

Yes, no and no.  Stock needle dos not have but one clip groove. Most are modding the airbox in a big way and going FMF thus benefit from a different dia and taper angle. The common method for getting the plug/cap out is to carefully drill a small hole and start a small sheet metal screw, often it comes out with the drill bit. Don't think you can rotate the carb far enough to drill.

Bruce

I bought a 2013 a few months ago. I keep it out at the Oregon Coast and from sea-level to the top of the nearby mountain tops on forest roads it's running without any modifications or trouble. Yeah it's a little lean and might surge a wee bit until it warms up well but not enough to make me consider doing anything about it yet.

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it. Change it only if you need to.

Darcy

Hello every body new here. looking to buy left over dr 650 , all i hear is carb trouble, i have to ride it 400 miles is the friggin thing going to quit? lean cond get worse when its cool . should i buy a main jet ?  or raise the neddle? or both