my first xr70, little help please...

hi, I just bought an '01 70 today, runs like a dream, the last owner had a k&n filter on it, no airbox. is it worth getting the oem box for it? i'll use this for a pitbike, but I don't like the idea of water getting into the top end through the filter. I added a layer of pre-filter wrap on it when I got it home that I had laying around the garage. any other tips would be appreciated, I'll need to replace the fork seals as well.

thanks!

The bike will run best with the stock air box... but if yours is gone that K&N will work OK.

No worries about water getting into the engine, rain, splashing won't affect it at all.

Fork seals... 99% of the time they only need cleaned...

BUT... you have to dis-assemble the forks to clean OR replace the seals 

$10 for new seals

I haven't bought a set of fork seals in 20 years, I just take the forks apart, clean everything and re-assemble with new oil

I use ATF

My 2 ¢

The bike will run best with the stock air box... but if yours is gone that K&N will work OK.

No worries about water getting into the engine, rain, splashing won't affect it at all.

Fork seals... 99% of the time they only need cleaned...

BUT... you have to dis-assemble the forks to clean OR replace the seals 

$10 for new seals

I haven't bought a set of fork seals in 20 years, I just take the forks apart, clean everything and re-assemble with new oil

I use ATF

My 2 ¢

Well, yes and no on the stock airbox.  Yes, if all the stock settings are in place and you just plan to putt around on the bike int he pits.  But if someone put a K&N on it, then the most likely rejetted as well and may have done a little opening of the stock exhaust.  Under this case, then going back to a stock airbox will create a poorer running condition and some extra work.  If it ain't broke, don;t fix it.  Just realize this is a pit bike and not an endurocross or harescramble machine.  Just be careful around puddles and the water won't be an issue.

For some reason I have noticed 70 forks tend to leak a little more than others.  I thinks its because they get a little more abuse than smaller 50s.  In either case, fork seals, or the ones we get, run about 20 bucks shipped.  The wiper is easy to remove, but the actual seal can be a pain. Assembly requires some kind of driver or knowledge on how to "tap" seal using the old one.  In either case, ATF is a good choice since it is cheap and these bikes don't require a higher performance oil. 

And like mentioned above, keeping them clean and oil replaced will make them last a lot longer.

thank you both very much. a thumbs up for each of you.

btw - i'm 99% the exhaust is stock with no mods. I'll leave the filter, I noticed there's no splash guard off the rear fender in front of the shock, I'll make one from an old inner tube or something. the seals are already on the way, I'll go with the ATF as suggested.

If that is the case, then yes, the pod filter will get wet and muddy and you will have issues.  Check on Ebay for that plastic part and get it installed.  OEM may not be that expensive either.