Sign in to follow this  

Are 08 RM 125 Reliable bikes?

I'm looking at an 08 125 and was wondering how reliable these bikes are? This would be my first bike. The guy is asking $1700. That seems like a good price. Was this the last year they had the 125 in the U.S?

Thanks

They will be as reliable as the maintenance that was performed on it, but probably not as reliable as the yamaha/honda/kawi/ktm...

It was either the last year or one before last.

07 or 08 was the last year for the rm. Yes they are reliable bikes. As said above , maintenance is the key, but there aren't any known or common problems with them. I've had 04 and 06 rm125's , basically the same bike. Both were rock solid and F U N.

Check all the bearings. Swing Arm, Linkage and head set. Also check the gear box and all gears.

06 through to 08 were the same bike. 08 models were basically left over stock from 07.

Edited by AddictedToBling

Yup, '07 was the last model year for RM125's in the US, '08 was the last year for the RM250.

$1,700 seems like a pretty good price as long as it's complete (no missing plastic or odd bolts), in good mechanical condition (no leaking suspension, exhaust isn't heavily dented, etc.) and runs good (well "starts" good, shifts without a problem, pulls nice, etc.).

Yup, '07 was the last model year for RM125's in the US, '08 was the last year for the RM250.

$1,700 seems like a pretty good price as long as it's complete (no missing plastic or odd bolts), in good mechanical condition (no leaking suspension, exhaust isn't heavily dented, etc.) and runs good (well "starts" good, shifts without a problem, pulls nice, etc.).

00000_fu0UkyPeenK_50x50c.jpg  00G0G_59kaYOSCUof_50x50c.jpg  This is the bike and add on Craigslist. It seems to be pretty clean. What do you guys think?

2008 Suzuki RM125 in perfect running condition. Bike has been loved and maintained properly.

Title in hand.

Starts first kick and has never had any engine work or problems. All OEM original. The bike has been trail rode only and has an oversized fuel tank for long trail rides. Never raced.

As you can see from the pictures this RM125 is beautiful and needs nothing but a rider and has always been stored inside and polished after every ride. Adult owned and ridden.

The bike has new front and rear Dunlop 952s that have never seen the dirt, brand new with nipples (see picture).

This bike also has full FMF exhaust with a FMF SST Gold Series pipe and FMF Powercore II Shorty Silencer

The RM125 also comes with Renthal Fatbars and mount.

00000_fu0UkyPeenK_50x50c.jpg  00G0G_59kaYOSCUof_50x50c.jpg  This is the bike and add on Craigslist. It seems to be pretty clean. What do you guys think?

2008 Suzuki RM125 in perfect running condition. Bike has been loved and maintained properly.

Title in hand.

Starts first kick and has never had any engine work or problems. All OEM original. The bike has been trail rode only and has an oversized fuel tank for long trail rides. Never raced.

As you can see from the pictures this RM125 is beautiful and needs nothing but a rider and has always been stored inside and polished after every ride. Adult owned and ridden.

The bike has new front and rear Dunlop 952s that have never seen the dirt, brand new with nipples (see picture).

This bike also has full FMF exhaust with a FMF SST Gold Series pipe and FMF Powercore II Shorty Silencer

The RM125 also comes with Renthal Fatbars and mount.

It looks pretty nice and they guy's description of it sounds like he took pretty good care of it but it sounds like he never rebuilt it ever. If you look at it make sure its an 08 you can do that by looking at the vin # on the steering stem you start from the top and go 10 down and the number should be an 8

Edited by suzukirider103

How much would it be to do the top and bottom end in it. A friend and me would do the work.

thanks

It looks pretty nice and they guy's description of it sounds like he took pretty good care of it but it sounds like he never rebuilt it ever. If you look at it make sure its an 08 you can do that by looking at the vin # on the steering stem you start from the top and go 10 down and the number should be an 8

That 10th digit thing doesn't always work for RMs, going by my (confirmed) 2007 125 - best bet is to call a main dealer & ask them to look up the VIN. That seems pretty cheap price for a 08 model, though I wouldn't think it's a very good bike for long trail rides, the power delivery is a bit unsuited to that.

How much would it be to do the top and bottom end in it. A friend and me would do the work.

thanks

For just under $200 in parts you should be able to replace the piston, rings and wrist pin bearing (includes gaskets).  Check the ThumperTalk parts store or Bike Bandit and see what they will charge you for all of that.

That 10th digit thing doesn't always work for RMs, going by my (confirmed) 2007 125 - best bet is to call a main dealer & ask them to look up the VIN. That seems pretty cheap price for a 08 model, though I wouldn't think it's a very good bike for long trail rides, the power delivery is a bit unsuited to that.

In the US looking up the 10th digit should work, even on models that were left over and sold a year later.  You European lucky dogs that can still buy a RM125 or RM250 do have a problem though, or at least did, because the K8 RM250 (aka a US 2008) was available for a number of years after Suzuki stopped selling them in the US.  So a K8 was a 2008 in the US, but it was also a '09, '10, '11 & '12 in the UK, that's why the VIN lookup may not work for you.

Yes, they're reliable but it's all about how well the owner takes care of it.

IMO, I have always felt the RMs and KXs have been of a slightly cheaper quality but I have seen many Hondas, Yamaha and KTMs that have looked absolutely haggard after a neglected owner has used them. I think the biggest thing about keeping the RM (or any bike) is a regular maintainence program that involves check the bike over, fresh oil, clean filter, etc etc. Don't wait until its broke to repair it. Preventative maintenance can go along way...

• Like 2

IMO, I have always felt the RMs and KXs have been of a slightly cheaper quality 

I don't have a overly long record with Kawasaki but in my experience they've been very reliable without issue. I've read about 90s model RMs having problems but the few I owned did not. However, I never kept an RM long enough to know. The KXs have always ran clean, carbureted well, started easily, had good torque, and came with factory add ons to protect bearing life and frame wear. :blah:

Edited by shrubitup

Will a late model (09-13) rmz 250 rear fender fit on a 01 rm 125?? I assume the front will I see people do It all the time. Trying to modernize the look of my bike :blink: