Rockhouse and Buffalo Mountain HMT Trails

WestVirginia

We'll be riding out at the Hatfiled MCoy Trail systems this following week (30Oct - 2 Nov) and hope it's not too frigid or rainy. We can tolerate one or the other but not both usually (but we still ride anyway). HMT is our absolute favorite place to ride. Our crew resides from mainly Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina and we meet up 2-3 times a year at HMT. Great single-track riding as most of you may already know.... If you're out riding HMT during this period I hope we cross paths and ride a little...We're staying in Man, WV during this trip.

Regards,

BillD

Darn my group was leaving as you went. It was rainy when we went but suprisingly only a few trails were very slippery. Well its too late for you to read this warning about rock house but if you did single tracks the worst one was 188 it dumps into the ranger station by Man it was  Fun but I Hated it at the same time  because of the rain it was slick. it was aweful towards the end the trail is only about 12 inches wide with 1 tire track and its on an angle so you are scissoring the line or your are sliding off down the mountain lol. A few of the down hills where sketchy cause they were slick and it was an imediate 180 with no run off room. 199 was easier in my opinion compared too 188 that day. I started 199 from the green trail by 151. the second day i did 151 from the same split by the green trail and 199 going up the cinderblock hill. 151 is the trail that claimed half of my front brake lever lol. I made it up 3/4 of the main rock hill and lost momentum from a large flat rock face. I  hopped off the bike and started walking wheeling it up the remainder and burnt off a good amount of tread lol i lost balance when i stopped and tipped the bike over LOL the only thing that treterous rock hill claimed was a scratch on my plastic and half a front brake lever good thing its not where i grab the front brake at. I have definetly had enough of rocks by the end of our 4 days

How was your trip?

I hope you hit trail 31 going up the mountain to the overlook. That was by far my favorate trial at rockhouse it was so smooth had awesome turns and good uphill. you could just fly up that trail. I will go back just to do that trail again.

We'll be riding out at the Hatfiled MCoy Trail systems this following week (30Oct - 2 Nov) and hope it's not too frigid or rainy. We can tolerate one or the other but not both usually (but we still ride anyway). HMT is our absolute favorite place to ride. Our crew resides from mainly Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina and we meet up 2-3 times a year at HMT. Great single-track riding as most of you may already know.... If you're out riding HMT during this period I hope we cross paths and ride a little...We're staying in Man, WV during this trip.

Regards,

BillD

Darn my group was leaving as you went. It was rainy when we went but suprisingly only a few trails were very slippery. Well its too late for you to read this warning about rock house but if you did single tracks the worst one was 188 it dumps into the ranger station by Man it was  Fun but I Hated it at the same time  because of the rain it was slick. it was aweful towards the end the trail is only about 12 inches wide with 1 tire track and its on an angle so you are scissoring the line or your are sliding off down the mountain lol. A few of the down hills where sketchy cause they were slick and it was an imediate 180 with no run off room. 199 was easier in my opinion compared too 188 that day. I started 199 from the green trail by 151. the second day i did 151 from the same split by the green trail and 199 going up the cinderblock hill. 151 is the trail that claimed half of my front brake lever lol. I made it up 3/4 of the main rock hill and lost momentum from a large flat rock face. I  hopped off the bike and started walking wheeling it up the remainder and burnt off a good amount of tread lol i lost balance when i stopped and tipped the bike over LOL the only thing that treterous rock hill claimed was a scratch on my plastic and half a front brake lever good thing its not where i grab the front brake at. I have definetly had enough of rocks by the end of our 4 days

How was your trip?

I hope you hit trail 31 going up the mountain to the overlook. That was by far my favorate trial at rockhouse it was so smooth had awesome turns and good uphill. you could just fly up that trail. I will go back just to do that trail again.

Sorry for late response.. been busy..

Rockhouse trail 31 and the switchbacks are always kewl to the top of the mountain...especailly at speed

The weather was really good that weekend past your visit (rained a bit during one night). Half of our group did 199 at Rockhouse and said it was not sloppy but really tuff for a difficult single track just the same. They did that trail in 45 minutes.. ( I think they lied). I have never had the guts to do 199 by the way. My skill isn't quite up to that level single track without pissing off my buddies having to help me drag my bike up or down the tuff portions.

We spent a day at Rockhouse and a day at Buffalo Mountain (an hour drive from RH). I did do some of the intermediate single track sections at both trail systems (trails 130, 125, 151, 132, 137,140, etc)..more fitting to what I can handle. Our hard core group got hung up on Buff Mountain 149 and got lost but eventually found ther way back before darkness hit.... that could have been a bad overnighter for them.

Perhaps another trip we can cross paths.. we usually do a HM trip in the Spring (April) and Fall (Oct/Nov).

Regards,

Bill D

Edited by debargew