Sign in to follow this  

WP suspension woes? Try this (2013 450 SXF)

So I've been struggling with my 13.5 450 FE regarding suspension (and turning).  I tried all types of things like running less sag, more sag, I "bracketed" the suspension, went all over the place with the clickers but, no avail.  Really confusing to me because the 2012 350 SXF I owned was great for me and I liked it as soon as I got on it.  Now I'm 41 yrs old 160lbs in my birthday suit and a faster 40B rider.  I couldn't figure out why the bike acted the way it did.  I thought the bike had the same chassis as my 350, yet it killed confidence as the front end felt loose sometimes and I got the idea it was going to give me the shaft someday with a no warning front end washout that would put a handlebar end in my sternum at speed - good times!!!  Anyways, looking into it, the 450 has a 50N/mm spring while the 350 is spec'd with a 48N/mm.  The rear shock spring rates are the same.  Well, I put in the 48 spring, dropped my oil height to 360 cc and well, it was a revelation.  The bike turns great and I was getting any inside line I wanted today (and making some new ones!).  I think I rode the bike faster than I ever have since I've owned it.  The front end feels planted and the "loose" feeling is gone.  I no longer fear a high speed wash out and I can really hang it out again.  Finally, I'm using full travel - something I haven't been doing, and that's with full whoop sections and a 115 ft table top.  Also, I never "clanked" the front end once today, just smooth useage of the travel.  I  hope this helps someone.

That 50n/mm spring seems pretty stiff for your weight for sure. I have a 500exc and weigh 225 with 52n/mm springs and they are on the stiff side for my old man woods pace.

I agree.  Your rear spring could be on the border also.  I am 175lbs without clothes, and Factory Connection dropped me to a 49 fork spring for MX; however, they stiffened up the valving significantly.  I am hitting 100mm of race sag and 34mm of static sag with the stock rear spring. I have the 13.5 fe.

I wonder if taking 10cc out of each fork leg would make mine plusher since I just ride woods, I have about 6 inches of travel I never use and I'm 195 without gear

I weigh 230 - yet have almost the exact same story as "moab"   ...came off a 2011 that I loved and my new 2013 feels super loose and sketchy in the front.  At my weight you'd figure the springs are soft...  but the bike feels so outta balance gonna just try a stiffer shock spring first.

I wonder if taking 10cc out of each fork leg would make mine plusher since I just ride woods, I have about 6 inches of travel I never use and I'm 195 without gear

yes you should try it

yes you should try it

is it as simple as taking out the fork bleeder and turning the fork upside down?

is it as simple as taking out the fork bleeder and turning the fork upside down?

It is but, it's easier to add than take out so, I'd start by removing it all and start at maybe 360cc of oil and get a syringe + hose and hose union from checker auto or something (one that fits in the air bleeder port).  Then you can add in 10cc increments if too soft.  Pulling the air bleeder and flipping the fork upside down is a pain and it's tough to get an exact amount out.

Wny713 it could also be exactly the opposite which can feel the same for example to stiff and it feels like it wants to washout and to soft can feel loose because it wants to tuck in

wow, i am having similar issue....my 11 revalve was unreal. my 13 just cant sem to get the deflection issue and cant seem to get it to settle in the corners. i just had my susp guy do the .48 . they claim to have a new set up developed by a couple of pro off roader racers. anyway i have the forks back and hope to try them tomorrow. i am 200lb vet b level.

IMO ... the valving just sucks.

The stiff springs keep the front end high .... the moment they compress into the valving ..... it blows right through it.

FC redid mine with .48s and major valving .... (still not enough compression for my liking though).

So I've been struggling with my 13.5 450 FE regarding suspension (and turning).  I tried all types of things like running less sag, more sag, I "bracketed" the suspension, went all over the place with the clickers but, no avail.  Really confusing to me because the 2012 350 SXF I owned was great for me and I liked it as soon as I got on it.  Now I'm 41 yrs old 160lbs in my birthday suit and a faster 40B rider.  I couldn't figure out why the bike acted the way it did.  I thought the bike had the same chassis as my 350, yet it killed confidence as the front end felt loose sometimes and I got the idea it was going to give me the shaft someday with a no warning front end washout that would put a handlebar end in my sternum at speed - good times!!!  Anyways, looking into it, the 450 has a 50N/mm spring while the 350 is spec'd with a 48N/mm.  The rear shock spring rates are the same.  Well, I put in the 48 spring, dropped my oil height to 360 cc and well, it was a revelation.  The bike turns great and I was getting any inside line I wanted today (and making some new ones!).  I think I rode the bike faster than I ever have since I've owned it.  The front end feels planted and the "loose" feeling is gone.  I no longer fear a high speed wash out and I can really hang it out again.  Finally, I'm using full travel - something I haven't been doing, and that's with full whoop sections and a 115 ft table top.  Also, I never "clanked" the front end once today, just smooth useage of the travel.  I  hope this helps someone.

Try the JBI Pro Perch if you want crazy good bottoming control.  I have some in my 350sxf and love em.  Glad you are liking the bike!

I have a brand new wp shock off my 13.5 dungey bike , if any of u guys are looking for one make me a reasonable offer n its yours