Ocotillo Wells Sunday 27OCT13 Day Trip

Had fun today with Ryan, thanks buddy for coming out. 9-5pm riding not to bad conditions. Rain changed the terrain quite a bit since last season. Weather today I think was about 85 with slight breeze. Dirt in the washes was sandy as hell almost like a layer of silt all over the place, kinda dusty. From staging area by blue inn rode to trestles, shot over to Superstion south part and then hit the north part then back to the truck. Then loaded up again and cross 79 over to the crossover trail and then circled back to shell reef area then back to truck. Loaded up and stopped by county line BBQ, had the BBQ brisket sandwich with the county line potatoes. Yum. Always wanted to stop there.

In conclusion I have to say riding Lake Havasue and Johnson Valley has really opened my eyes on the better terrain and riding area's. Riding today was fun to get out the house but should of headed north to JV, at least that's the plan from now on.

• Like 4

Let me know when you know Ken.

I'll be in Barstow/Stoddard Wells this Friday to Sunday. I'll be riding with my kids mostly, but if you want a safe place to stage, come on out. Stoddard Wells has it's ups and downs, but I still enjoy going there a fews times a season. Right now I'm camping near Slash X Cafe, great place to get  a burger and a cold beer after a hard, dusty, rocky ride. it's kind of on the way to JV, but take a left at the 247(aka Barstow Rd) and head north bout 25 miles or so.

or 15 north to Barstow Road (aka 247) take a right and go aprox 9 miles to the Slash X.

I was going to camp on the property but my kids bikes are too big for that now. Slash and it's property residents don't mind camping on site but they don't want the dust either. So I won't be far from there.

Edited by Dube2
  • Like 2

Had fun today with Ryan, thanks buddy for coming out. 9-5pm riding not to bad conditions. Rain changed the terrain quite a bit since last season. Weather today I think was about 85 with slight breeze. Dirt in the washes was sandy as hell almost like a layer of silt all over the place, kinda dusty. From staging area by blue inn rode to trestles, shot over to Superstion south part and then hit the north part then back to the truck. Then loaded up again and cross 79 over to the crossover trail and then circled back to shell reef area then back to truck. Loaded up and stopped by county line BBQ, had the BBQ brisket sandwich with the county line potatoes. Yum. Always wanted to stop there.

In conclusion I have to say riding Lake Havasue and Johnson Valley has really opened my eyes on the better terrain and riding area's. Riding today was fun to get out the house but should of headed north to JV, at least that's the plan from now on.

Really wish I would of known you were coming out.. Our spot has really weak cell service and when im out there im not checking phone unless im waiting on a person.... The ride you did can be fun depending on the route you take but that whole last section near the wash/trestle isn't very fun and then the rest of the ride to super is pretty dull as well until you actually get there .. all of the fun stuff is on the south east side of the mountain and of course riding on the mountain itself.. then you crossed the 78 and road to shell reef which is ok.. This is the problem with Ocotillo wells if you don't have someone like myself you usually completely miss the fun stuff.... So give it another go and ill be there to guide .. you didn't go anywhere near the pole line area or east of it...

It was a bit warm on Saturday.. HAd a newbie rider show up with one of my other friends with a brand new Husqvarna (pretty nice bike).. Friday night and he was fairly confident in his riding skills but that changed quickly.. he realized the desert isn't flat . That guy has a new found appreciation for desert riding ill tell ya..... The dirt was wicked sketchy and actually not as dusty as it gets.. I had a near get off hitting one of areas where you sink about 6 inches  all of a sudden and the way I ride (body really forward on bike) it was a close call with feet passing up my head..

All in all a good day of riding and a few scratched bikes and maybe a bruised ego.. I may have ridden his new bke more than him with all the hay can you ride it up this hill or down that one going on.... got a good workout running up and down trails that's for damn sure!

• Like 1

Ya you can go all over the place with out finding anything tech, it's really about knowing the spots. That's why I don't run desert tanks, gearing or long range stuff any more, I'm not into high speed or long distance. Camp close to where I'm going to spend my weekend, ride that spot, ride it hard and burn out quick. Camp at different spots when ever I go out, it works well. plaster city/painted gorge, supersition/andre, badlands/shell reef, pole line/mudhumps/well. I've gotten into some spots that had me questioning if i really liked riding.....

Ya you can go all over the place with out finding anything tech, it's really about knowing the spots. That's why I don't run desert tanks, gearing or long range stuff any more, I'm not into high speed or long distance. Camp close to where I'm going to spend my weekend, ride that spot, ride it hard and burn out quick. Camp at different spots when ever I go out, it works well. plaster city/painted gorge, supersition/andre, badlands/shell reef, pole line/mudhumps/well. I've gotten into some spots that had me questioning if i really liked riding.....

exactly. I would say that a high percentage of people that ride out there never see the fun stuff.. There are lots of whooped out trails and big boring washes to ride but why in the hell would you want to.....  im ready to go back and ride already.

• Like 1

I still love OW, lots of stuff, but not unless you know where to look.  

I might go next weekend for a dayride, but not sure about having to need surgery again this week. Thats gonna make me wait another weekend to go so I can heal up a little bit first.