Sign in to follow this  

From RMX250 to the dark side

Went on a 40 or so mile ride today on my 1997 Suzuki RMX250 and was riding with a pack of KTM's and my buddy was on his brand new 300XC-W. Always had Japanese bikes since I was young, but I finally drank the punch and am gonna buy a 300XC-W. Luckily another guy we were with broke down on his rapped out KLX650 and offered to buy my RMX. Got 4 choices of 300 all that are '07's in my price range. Looking at spending around $3k-$3500. Wondering how many hours a rebuilt top end usually lasts? And if there is anything else I should know about these bikes because I am fairly ignorant to the Orange.

Its a dirt bike. Do typical maintenance and it will last a very long time.

However, some people feel there is a foreign feel to the Euro bikes compared to the Japs. Get the suspension revalved and ergonomics set and it will be a blast.

• Like 1

Todays european bikes and japanese bikes are very veyr similar in feel I've found. I'm miles more comfortable on a KTM than any jap bike. But htats just me. I'm 6' 2" and 200 pounds with long legs and arms. Everyone is different. First port of call is a suspension revalve at minimum. If one of hte bikes already has this done, run with that one cos you'd go a long way to find valving worse than the stock KTMs.

As far as maintenance goes, it really depends on how you ride. Less revs = less wear its that simple. run no leaner than 30:1, drop your tranny oil every 5-10 hours (again depending on riding style) and thats pretty much all there is to it. Wash air filter after every ride, replace after 5 washes (or rides). Do a piston every second ring(s) change ie: piston and rings, rings, piston and rings, rings etc etc. While youv'e got hte jug off doing those things, keep checking your big end clearance with feeler gauges.

If you get the ktm, locktite everything. KTM bolts seem to have an uncanny ability to vibrate loose. Keep those axels greased and linkage if applicable.

I use to own a '96 RMX and now I own a '12 300XC-w.  IMHO:  don't forget that the RMX-250 was born in '89 and never really changed, yes the forks went back to conventionals and the factory restrictors were removed over the years, but the basic chassis, engine and overall layout never did.  A '07 300 in good running condition will feel VERY different (tall, longer, slower steering, more powerful) next to your RMX, that decade plus of development will be clearly in the 300's favor.  So it may take some time to adjust but eventually you will begin to realize that you made an excellent decision. 

Like motonack posted, you will be buying a used bike so inspect everything and don't be surprised to find something needing attention.  Keep an eye out for the expensive stuff, like leaking suspension or a top end that's due to be rebuilt.  I personally like to ask the seller "what's wrong with it?", and expect to get an honest answer (I don't always get one).  But push it and see if what they are saying lines up with what you are seeing, especially if your buying from a fellow group rider or friend.

Awesome responses fellas. Before the RMX I had a crf450x, but it was too heavy for the riding I do. I am going to check a XCW out on Monday A local bike. Says it has 79 total hours on the bike.

I just picked up an 09 300xcw about a week ago as well, so i just did this investigating myself. What i found is:

-if the bike was ridden conservativley, and air filter kept clean, the top ends can last for roughly 100 hours.

-bottom end should last 300 hours or more it it was treated well.

-check the lower shock pivot, its not supposed to get greased, and is a pricey little piece.

-as always the air filter is the key, how often was it cleaned, was it done properly, is it clean now?

When i buy a bike, it almost come down to the impression i get from the owner and what info they give me. If the bike needs work and the seller is upfront and honest about it, im more likely to work out a fair price and buy it. If they give me little info and shrug off the issues i Point out, i walk.

• Like 1

From '11 on the KTM's took on a more "japanese geometry" .... 2010 and prior had the old "KTM geo".

I made the same switch. Never looked back. My EXC is only an '05. But it was very evident as soon as I got on the KTM for the first time that I had been wasting my time with the RMX. Good luck on the new bike.

Well thanks to you guys I found one that met the price and the condition, made a deal and brought her home! So, you owe me like 3K. It's an '07 with new tires, streering stabilizer, FMF gnarly & turbine core, devol rad guards, Cycra pro bends and grip Warmers. And of course it snowed today

Posted Image

• Like 1

Well thanks to you guys I found one that met the price and the condition, made a deal and brought her home! So, you owe me like 3K. It's an '07 with new tires, streering stabilizer, FMF gnarly & turbine core, devol rad guards, Cycra pro bends and grip Warmers. And of course it snowed today

null_zps349d821c.jpg

Sounsd like a full on trails weapon mate! Nice job looks very clean