How to plate in Georgia

Well after seeing the "how to plate in CA, I wanted to ask other Ga natives how they did it. 

I just bought a 2012 wr450 from my local dealer.

Havent even ridden the bike yet. I did kick start it! That was cool. Cant do that on the DRZ.

I have seached and read and searched some more, I have no clue where to start. The people at the tag office know me well due to all the vehicles I own, I hope that will help.

Should I make it look more as a enduro bike vs a SM until I can get it plated? In case I have to have it inspected I think having it look like I am going on the street just to get from one trail to the other vs a hooligan machine that will reek mayhem on the population.

So, whats your opinion?

The S. Dakota process works great. You mail them documents and they mail you a plate and a street legal title.

Not sure what the laws are in Georgia. Check the DMV website and it should have some info. on the state's requirements. Some go by the title and some go by the VIN.

The S. Dakota process works great. You mail them documents and they mail you a plate and a street legal title.

Not sure what the laws are in Georgia. Check the DMV website and it should have some info. on the state's requirements. Some go by the title and some go by the VIN.

No title,bill of sale only. Ga goes by VIN

Okay, sounds like you might be best off seeing if the dealership would be able to assist with getting the bike registered. Sounds like they actually go off the title and if it has the "off highway use only" clause on it.

That is sounding like your best bet if possible.

Okay, sounds like you might be best off seeing if the dealership would be able to assist with getting the bike registered. Sounds like they actually go off the title and if it has the "off highway use only" clause on it.

That is sounding like your best bet if possible.

Trust me. tried!Haha

They used to in the past. I think they did the out of state then brought it back type of thing.

Just plated my 09 here, but South Carolina did all the work, was titled there for street use, so just did a title and plate transfer, do know there is a WR450F in the database now. may help

It cant hurt! 

I have got to get a move on in the ordering dept for the parts to convert.

I get overwhelmed with the different options for switches and wheels.

Hello to all, I just bought an 02 WR426 here in Northern California, getting my lighting kit but don't think CA DMV will plate it... Does any one have further info on S. Dakota plating or other easy options?

Hello to all, I just bought an 02 WR426 here in Northern California, getting my lighting kit but don't think CA DMV will plate it... Does any one have further info on S. Dakota plating or other easy options?

Don't think CA DMV will plate it?? Does this mean that you're too lazy to do research to actually plate your bike, or you just automatically assumed that you can't plate your bike? Why would you buy a lighting kit if you think you can't plate your bike?? People like you, that say what you say drive me nuts. It almost seems like you have no motivation and you press on rumors that aren't true.

Please follow my directions closely.

1. Call CHP for a VIN check. See if your bike is eligible to be converted into a dual sport. Most all green stickered bikes are OK, but always make sure. If you get the OK, great, now schedule an appointment.

2. Up to this point it should cost you nothing put into the bike to get the registration part started on the bike.

3. A brake and lamp inspection is needed. My local shop does it for $40, though shops do vary. If your questioning how to get the front or rear brake to light up when you press it, just get go ahead and get yourself a pressure switch possibly on ebay for cheap. They screw in the just like the brake banjo and guess how it switches on and off?? YES, YOU GOT IT...PRESSURE!!

- If might be able find a shop that will generally look over your bike and some that do a complete check up on every since bit on your bike to fail you and steal your money. Go on yelp or something and call people and ask them all the things that you need in order to get the brake and lamp inspectione done properly.

4. Hopefully you passed all the inspections and you're probably out like roughly $200-$500 in parts to get your bike street legal. Now you must cross your fingers and schedule an appoint with DMV to get your bike registered as a ON-HIGHWAY vehicle. I try to state that I want to get the bike ON-HIGHWAY instead of dual-sport, because for some reason the DMV doesn't like the term DUAL-SPORT. Registration should be about $80-90. Yay hopefully they passed you through the loop!!

5. If you got denied don't give up. I've heard people go the DMV and get denied and go back that friday and have the bike as a on-highway vehicle. I think maybe it's the mentality that it's going to be weekend that makes the workers feel good to just slip your bike through. And if you get rejected at a certain DMV, go to other DMV's. 2 DMV's will give you 2 different answers on how to dual-sport. Heck, I called DMV in Sacramento and they said that you can't dual-sport any longer. That's a total lie. I know guys getting through the system and walking out with plates all the time.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. ALSO, STOP CREATING RUMORS THAT AREN'T TRUE! I know people that make a living dual-sporting bikes and he's always happy because he gets more customers everyday now because people just ASSUME!

• Like 1

First off thanks for the reply, but I would have to disagree that I am "Creating Rumors" or I "assumed" it could not be done. 

With my extensive research of trying to get this done even within ThumperTalk

(https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/858474-can-a-wr426-be-nade-street-legal-in-ca/

(https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/283900-another-successful-ca-plated-wr426/

and other several posts. They also say its impossible. In fact several people say you may get a plate BUT they will revoke it approx. 1-3 months later. This is something I don't want but I still researched more. I went to my local DMV (Lodi Ca) and they told me that DMV will not process a Motorcycle without a Federal Emissions Sticker. BUT DMV will do a title/Plate transfer from an out of state. So Deductive reasoning (not assuming) says I should just go down the easiest path that will get me to my goal because all signs show CA DMV wont work.   

BUT... Lets make this a learning experiment. 

dchoo: I will do all of your above steps, I will even take my bike back to stock (I will remove my lighting kit) and go step by step. Also I understand If I may have not been clear, I also understand that you may be having a Bad day, but seriously re-read your post and you sound like a total $%@^... Every post Ive read, have been filled with help and not belittling... 

Again Thank you for your help. 

Well after goint to the local dmv and showing the MSO and bill of sale.....she said good luck! She did give me the main ga dmv office number.

I called them and gave the nice lady the VIN. She said that it didnt come up in the system. So I stated it was a dual sport and had no title,asked what are my steps in achieving a title.

I have to fill out numerous forms and do some sort of title bond. Not sure of what this entales but I will post on how everything goes.

Once I get a new ink cartridge haha, I will start the process!

Edited by scott525

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after goint to the local dmv and showing the MSO and bill of sale.....she said good luck! She did give me the main ga dmv office number.

I called them and gave the nice lady the VIN. She said that it didnt come up in the system. So I stated it was a dual sport and had no title,asked what are my steps in achieving a title.

I have to fill out numerous forms and do some sort of title bond. Not sure of what this entales but I will post on how everything goes.

Once I get a new ink cartridge haha, I will start the process!

Any updates on how your tag process is going? I'm in Savannah and have an 04 WR and want to do the same thing, been researching going through Vermont before doing the Georgia DMV shuffle.

Rich

Any updates on how your tag process is going? I'm in Savannah and have an 04 WR and want to do the same thing, been researching going through Vermont before doing the Georgia DMV shuffle.

Rich

Hey Rich,

I went the south Dakota route. Easy to do.

I will eventually get around to going to the dmv and get a Ga plate now that I have a title but will wait until all tags are due again.

Hey Rich,

I went the south Dakota route. Easy to do.

I will eventually get around to going to the dmv and get a Ga plate now that I have a title but will wait until all tags are due again.

Thanks Scott,

I don't have a title or MSO so I think I need to try the Vermont route first. They tell me I have to have a VIN check done by Georgia DMV or Police and a signed document on the verifier's letterhead, once I get that I fill out the normal forms mail them in and they send me a registered tag and title. Once I have that then I should be able to go through the normal Georgia DMV registration process. 

Figured I better put on my dual sport kit first just in case the PoPo want to inspect it a little further.

Thanks Again,

Rich

Thanks Scott,

I don't have a title or MSO so I think I need to try the Vermont route first. They tell me I have to have a VIN check done by Georgia DMV or Police and a signed document on the verifier's letterhead, once I get that I fill out the normal forms mail them in and they send me a registered tag and title. Once I have that then I should be able to go through the normal Georgia DMV registration process. 

Figured I better put on my dual sport kit first just in case the PoPo want to inspect it a little further.

Thanks Again,

Rich

I got a bonded title first. I was going to try that route but without the National traffic sticker it was futile. 

You should be able to get a bonded title,then have the cops verify its not stolen and send it off. The bonding company was Surety and they were from South Dakota.

• Like 1

So you have a SD plate on your bike.  Cop or Ranger pulls you over...  you have a CA DL and no CA Liability Insurance...  he gives you a ticket that requires you to register your vehicle in CA.  You are back to square one.  So you reply to me...  well I just won't get stopped.  So I reply to you: Then what good was the SD plate in the first place ?

Out of state plates when you carry CA DL and have no provable residence in the other state are simply a FALSE sense of security.  They are waste of time and money.  They solve nothing. Think it through.