valve clearance checks...

Well im at 12.5k miles and im just getting around to checking valve clearances. After experimenting with different socket adapter combos, i finally got the plug out.

How does the plug seem to you guys... good jetting?

Grab my feeler gauge set, and low and behold the smallest one is .254 mm... fml.

Am i trippin or should the clymer list the clearance specs right in the section that says "Valve Clearance" lol. It doesnt but the guide by our experts here have set me on the path.

Just a rant.

CAM00756.jpg

CAM00755.jpg

I can't see the electrode area in the picture.....

Though reading it would be a challenge, modern fuels makes plug reading  very hard to use as a guide to jetting....

Air/fuel analyser is the best way, along with how it's running with your butt dyno....

BTW.....Whether you are trippin or not is an unknown... :crazy: ..

from what I have seen of my daughters friends trippin seems to be a common occurrence with most young people... :smirk: ....

valve clearances are usually found in the specification section in most manuals  :)

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Yep, those look like spark plugs. That's all I can tell by your picture. Valves set at .004-.008 Intake  .008-.012 exhaust in thousands of an inch.

IN - .004 to .008 inch (0.10 to 0.20mm)

EX - .008 to .012 inch (0.20 to 0.30mm)

So i got the correct feeler gauges.

Intake LS .127mm

"      RS .127mm

Exhaust LS  .203mm

"         RS  .203mm

Should i leave it? I dont have a shim kit.  

How long would you wait to recheck the exhaust valves?  I commute daily about 15 mi. and put about 10k mi. on the bike a year.

A couple more questions...

1)  In Clymer, it says when reinstalling the cylinder head cover to clean all oil from the mating surfaces, and use suzuki bond silicone sealant, or equivalent.  What else can i use instead of OEM silicon, brands?

2)  Also, does the intake cam look like it could be off a tooth to the left?  I doesnt appear to be straight up like the #2 marking on the exhaust side. (pic to follow in next post).

3)  Also, how does my spark plug look to you guys? (pic to follow in next post)

Thanks guys.

Pics

CAM00761.jpg

CAM00758.jpg

Should i leave it?----Yes.  In spec is in spec.

How long would you wait to recheck the exhaust valves?-----Next year (12 months)

1)  Clymer, says reinstalling the cylinder head cover ..... use suzuki bond silicone sealant, or equivalent.------  Ultra Black is good.  I don't use any sealant and have no leaks.

2)  Also, does the intake cam look like it could be off a tooth to the left?  I doesnt appear to be straight up like the #2 marking on the exhaust side. ----It is fine but the cam chain is warn.

3)  Also, how does my spark plug look to you guys? ------No point in looking at the spark plug.  It's OK.

Edited by Noble

The only place you want to put any sealant would be the in the sharp corners of the half round plugs on the rubber gasket. A tiny dab will do ya.

Your clearance is with in specs. They're on the tight side but ok. I would check them in a couple thousand miles just to keep an eye on them, make sure they are not sinking in the head.

Although unleaded doesn't plug check well, you can still tell if it's overly rich or way lean. Your plug looks good. Run it.

So i got the correct feeler gauges.

Intake LS .127mm

"      RS .127mm

Exhaust LS  .203mm

"         RS  .203mm

Should i leave it? I dont have a shim kit.  

it's looking good mate...plus one on the above 2 posts

1)  In Clymer, it says when reinstalling the cylinder head cover to clean all oil from the mating surfaces, and use suzuki bond silicone sealant, or equivalent.  What else can i use instead of OEM silicon, brands?

If you don't pull the gasket off the head you don't need any sealant. Like stated, it is only needed around the half-moons. Just pop the cover back on, mind that everything seats properly, especially around the plug hole, and torque to spec.

Yeah , i would check the clearances regularly for now , just make sure valve seat recession is not at work here .