Thinking of a KDX 200 for my son

OK all. I have a 13 year old who is outgrowing his YZ85 quickly.I was thinking of putting him on a

XR 200. After doing some looking around I came across a couple KDX's. Now I'm having second thoughts.

He started off on a XR 50, then a XR100, now the YZ85. He loves the suspension and the top end. It just comes on like a light switch. I would like to get him on something that would be better fitted for the trails. Any recommendations? Thoughts?

Jester

I would get him on a 125 two stroke that would suit him the best but at the same time I rode a kx250 coming off a Yamaha ttr 125 and I'm only 5'5 but I had the cr125 before I had the kx250 I quickly out grew the 125 but for the trails I think u should start him on a 125 that is a fun bike and great top end and super light almost like riding a bicycle yeah that light not to much torque but a kdx 200 are they really much faster than a 125 hmm idk never owed one I would go with the kdx just let him get used to the power and make sure that he respects the power so he doesn't end up looping the bike and u save money cause he won't out grow that kdx for a while but idk thats depends on him well good luck on deciding on which bike to get and then eventually get him on that 450 last bike I ever need;)

Kdx would be a great bike, unless he plans on riding only tracks, then it would definitely need some 125 forks and better rear suspension. If your gonna be riding woods it'll be great, and you can always add more modifications if he thinks its too weak. A guy I met over the summer says his kdx can keep up with his 500 no problem, thing sure seemed like a beast. And stock they are fairly tame which would be perfect for a 13 year old, much more usable power.

Any 125 for trails will be tough. A 125 is a bike you really have to ring out to get power out of. You always have to be in the top end to be on the very narrow powerband. That being said, it could make a good track bike. For trails, a KDX200 or 220 would well suit him. Heck, I came off an XR100 right to a KX250 and just took a while to get used to it, i actually use it for trails. Then again, I was 5'11" during that change, and did wipe out a few times because it was so powerful. I just geared it down a bit and I was fine. :ride:

I would go with the kdx. 125's aren't too great offroad if you have any slow trails or major elevation change.

I would get him on a 125 two stroke that would suit him the best but at the same time I rode a kx250 coming off a Yamaha ttr 125 and I'm only 5'5 but I had the cr125 before I had the kx250 I quickly out grew the 125 but for the trails I think u should start him on a 125 that is a fun bike and great top end and super light almost like riding a bicycle yeah that light not to much torque but a kdx 200 are they really much faster than a 125 hmm idk never owed one I would go with the kdx just let him get used to the power and make sure that he respects the power so he doesn't end up looping the bike and u save money cause he won't out grow that kdx for a while but idk thats depends on him well good luck on deciding on which bike to get and then eventually get him on that 450 last bike I ever need;)

Me no comprende?

Edited by Sierra_rider

Go with the KDX. The KDX engines design is a Bored out Kx125 back in the day. It will be a Great Bike for your son and is Bullet Proof. .

What city do you live in Jesterxx?

kdx is a great bike,good suspension an motor.the motor can be lugged unlike a 125.there are people of all ages running the kdx so I don't think youre son could really outgrow it.the motor isn't pipey like the 85 or 125.you could also look at the ktm200 also,both great bikes.the kdx would do light track work also but better for trails.as far as the xr200 it would be going backwards compared to the yz85 he has now,less power an suspension plus back to drum breaks. my son started riding a kx 125  when he was 12 after his yz85 then we picked up a kdx whenhe was 13 an he loved the bike but he went back to the kx125 after awhile because it suited him better because we ride more track than anything.

Kawe

I would go with the kdx. 125's aren't too great offroad if you have any slow trails or major elevation change.

Me no comprende?

Yeah but there light its a great bike coming off a yz85 and u can compensate with a little fan of the clutch and off u go into the rpms.

OK all. I have a 13 year old who is outgrowing his YZ85 quickly.I was thinking of putting him on a

XR 200. After doing some looking around I came across a couple KDX's. Now I'm having second thoughts.

He started off on a XR 50, then a XR100, now the YZ85. He loves the suspension and the top end. It just comes on like a light switch. I would like to get him on something that would be better fitted for the trails. Any recommendations? Thoughts?

Jester

The first Time I really started riding was on a kdx 220 it's a wonderful bike I didn't have any issues with power at times I found the power surprising the gearing I thought was nice because 1st to me seem somewhat short for climbing hills but with the 6 speed it ha it hauls on the flat areas so overall I found its a pretty good bike I can leave my buddy's kawi125 struggling to catch me and his brothers Suzuki 125 far behind me eat dust. I find the bike pretty light and easy to wrestle around but I'm push 6' 1 so I think it a kdx 200 or 220 is good choice :)

I realize the 125 is an in-between size, engine wise. But I will not put him on a 2 stroke 125. Too much pipe for a good woods bike riden by a beginer/intermediate, young rider. 99% of our riding is in the woods. Some tight and some wide open high speed sections with 2' tall woops. I am looking for good bottom end power, fairly light weight, good suspension and disk brakes.

Question for those have or have had a KDX; any years better than others? I know these bikes went through some changes over the years. Some dealing with power, weight and of course being water cooled.

Thanks for ALL the replies.

Jester

What city do you live in Jesterxx?

Near Salem

Near Salem

Mine is a 99 and I find it has great very decent low end and mid range top end kinda lacks on the 220 but if you get one go buy a kdx200 carb because its a bigger carb and it'll give you more top end:)

95 to 06 I believe is the latest kdx. If you get a 220 make shure it has a forged piston in it. The oem pistons tend to break skirts. The 220 are all low end the 200 has a good mid and top.

If hes tall enough to fit, kdx is a dynamite choice. Try and get a stock piped bike (mellower power) and in best shaped possible.

Edited by ickfinger

if youre realy thinking about a kdx check out this site.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/

tons of info on anything kdx.

Kawie

I have a kdx 200&220 and they're great bikes. I mostly ride my ktm 200 now. If you see a nice ktm 200 for sale check it out.

I'd get him a 125. If you jet it correctly and run the right plug, you wont have to worry about fouling plugs. I had a 2000 RM125 this summer and used it on trails a few times. I came off an old POS Baja 125 4 stroke trail bike and it wasnt a problem for me to handle the rm on tight trails. Mind you, I'm 6'2 and 185 lbs. But that being said, if you gear the 125 right, and keep it in a low gear, he shouldn't have aproblem with it on the trails. The KDX is agreeat bike though. By  the sounds of it, they are great bikes. I saw a guy at a sand pit around here on a 220 rippuing around with his buddy on a kx250f, and he was passing him no problem....until he twisted the rear sprocket, folded it over a bit and ripped it of the hub :lol: I'm sure both you and him will have ablast and enjoy whicherver bike you and him decide to get.