insulation for inside of van?

Hey everyone!.......I have a 2004 3/4 ton Chevrolet Express standard length Van.  I'm wanting to insulate the cargo area for sure and may insulate the front part of the van also(like the roof area above Driver/Passenger).     I found something at Lowes I believe would do the trick but just wanted to ask here to see if anyone has used it for this before or is familiar with this material.

It is called "Reflectixs"

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=13358-56291-BP48025&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3011906&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

It's a double sided reflective wrap with a bubble type stuff in between the reflective sides. I was wanting to put up some type of insulation against the top and sides of the van so it would hold heat somewhat better on cold nights and days when me an my wife are camping at the track.  I was just wanting to know what type of insulation would be the best for holding in heat and reducing noise level some?   This Reflectixs insulation looks like it would be easy to work with if it would be worth it to do.

What type of insulation do some of yall have in the cargo area of your Vans?  

Hey everyone!.......I have a 2004 3/4 ton Chevrolet Express standard length Van.  I'm wanting to insulate the cargo area for sure and may insulate the front part of the van also(like the roof area above Driver/Passenger).     I found something at Lowes I believe would do the trick but just wanted to ask here to see if anyone has used it for this before or is familiar with this material.

It is called "Reflectixs"

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=13358-56291-BP48025&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3011906&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

It's a double sided reflective wrap with a bubble type stuff in between the reflective sides. I was wanting to put up some type of insulation against the top and sides of the van so it would hold heat somewhat better on cold nights and days when me an my wife are camping at the track.  I was just wanting to know what type of insulation would be the best for holding in heat and reducing noise level some?   This Reflectixs insulation looks like it would be easy to work with if it would be worth it to do.

What type of insulation do some of yall have in the cargo area of your Vans?  

That is a reflective type of insulator...I think rigid foam would be better, then put the reflective material over the foam. You should have plenty of room as that stuff is only 5/16 thick.

BTW I am speculating as I havent done it myself.

some kind of expanding foam, smooth  it down and then fiberglass over it... ive seen many vans done this way. granted probably not the best way

That is a reflective type of insulator...I think rigid foam would be better, then put the reflective material over the foam. You should have plenty of room as that stuff is only 5/16 thick.

BTW I am speculating as I havent done it myself.

I went with the R13 type house insulation type. I just cut it to the length I wanted it an taped it to the roof above the Head liner. Then I put the Head liner back up.   It's a little aggravating to work with but I believe it will be ok.    

After I put all of it up on the roof an on the sides I will be putting Lou-on over the insulation an covering the Lou-on with that out-door carpet like people put over speaker boxs.   

I put carpet on one sheet of the Lou-on I cut @ 40 inchs long and 23 inchs wide and thought I had it on pretty tight until I went to put it up in the van on the roof. When I put it up and screwed it to the rib on the roof there were some wrinkles in it from the curvature of the van ceiling.........Oh well......guess it may be better to wait til I get the Lou-on up first an then put the carpet over it

Any ideas? 

I was interested in your project so I googled the topic...I read a couple of threads on another forum as part of that discussion they mentioned 2 things. The first is condensing and rust the second was a heat source like propane. I still think a foam insulation would be better with the reflective insulation over it then the luan.  You could even use a minimum expanding foam to seal in the foam boards. This should keep moisture from the cold side of the insulation. The space is small so you wont need much heat in order to weather a night or two. How will you heat the space. IMO if you have electric available it would be 1 safer and 2 wont add moisture to the air.

Edited by skisnh

Damn so much contrary info depending where you look.

Edited by skisnh

Damn so much contrary info depending where you look.

I went ahead an just used the R13 house insulation. I cut my Luan panels for the roof to fit between the ribs at the top and to go about a half inch in the the crack between the roof and side of van. That way I just had to use self tapping screws in the rib at the top to hold the Luan up and the ends just laid on the lip on the sides.    

After I cut the Luan panels I just measured an cut the R13 insulation to the shape of the Luan panel and used masking tape on the edges of the insulation an taped it to the Luan with the paper side against the Luan.  This way I could just carry the panel to the van and just lift it up and set the edges in on the sides to hold it up and then just push up on the panel a tad an screw it in with self tapping screws.

I finished the roof panels today and now just like the sides. I had my Head liner above the driver/passenger seat re-upholstered and sun visor's also. I put the R13 insulation on the top of my headliner before I put it up and then I cut a Luan panel where my head liner stopped just behind the Driver/passenger seats that went from where my headliner stopped to the wall I put in about 3 ft  behind the seats. The Luan roof panel that I put up behind the headliner is screwed in to the roof rib an the other end sits on my headliner (over laps it) about a an inch.

Here is the van before I started and will take some pics tomorrow afternoon when I get in from work an post the after look.

DSC01665.jpg

It looks really good now

Would the blue foam board work? I don't know how good it is at insulating just suggesting. 

I had my Headliner re-upholstered along with the sun visor's and went ahead and taped RS13 insulation to the top of the Headliner. Since I was doing the roof I went ahead and used some Luon with carpet glued and stapled to the Luon that lays on top of the head liner about an inch for support and runs back to the wall I built.

I also built a storage box at the bottom of the wall behind the seats that is screwed to the wall. This box is for my gear and stuff and will also be used for a bed to lay on and also be used for a back bench seat.

Here is some pics.

DSC01895_zpsf0627114.jpg

DSC01894_zps3ae0562d.jpg

DSC01892_zps4c8d78e9.jpg

DSC01893_zpsebc3304b.jpg

I also built a shelf on the back of the wall that runs the length of the wall and a shelf that runs to the floor and I put Luon on the roff of the cargo area and insulation also.. here is a pic of those

DSC01896_zps3e9ad228.jpg

DSC01897_zps427969c0.jpg

I still like the sides of the van in the back but got one of them up this afternoon. When I get both done I will post those pics.

It looks like you made great progress, the head liner and storage all look great. try using spray on contact cement for the carpeting and hiding fewer staples for a cleaner look. Otherwise, you did a great job enjoy the moto van.

Edit:

I see you did glue it. Did you use carpet glue or contact cement? the carpet glue will be easier to work with but the contact cement will require less staples. You basically have one shot to stretch it into place as it sticks on "contact"; Then staple the overlap on the back side.

Edited by skisnh

It looks like you made great progress, the head liner and storage all look great. try using spray on contact cement for the carpeting and hiding fewer staples for a cleaner look. Otherwise, you did a great job enjoy the moto van.

Edit:

I see you did glue it. Did you use carpet glue or contact cement? the carpet glue will be easier to work with but the contact cement will require less staples. You basically have one shot to stretch it into place as it sticks on "contact"; Then staple the overlap on the back side.

I used the Heavy Duty 3M spray glue. It seemed to work real good. It kept the carpet down real well ........even when the Luan was curved some.  As far as stapling the carpet to the wall......I didnt have much choice but to staple it on the side. It was either that or on the front and or the back side.

I will work on it all day tomorrow and see how far I can get on it and see what else I can cover up with carpet. I'm going to try and cover the white metal area that runs between the roof and down the side of the van(where the wire runs) with cardboard with carpet on it. Also cover the inside of the door panel(where window would be)with Luan an carpet.

Today was a long day. I worked on the Van for 10 Hrs....   However I did get the Passenger side wall up back in the cargo area.....so both sides are done now.  It was tough being that there wasnt much to screw into but I pieced and pieced til it was finished. I dont think it looks to shabby being this is the first one I have done.

I glued carpet down along the top railing from the headliner all the way back to the back cargo door. after I did this I started the side wall. I had to make to separate pieces. One piece(the biggest one) layed in more than the small side piece next to the side door. So I had to add a 3/4 piece of plywood about 4 inchs wide for the door piece to screw into.

This pic is when I started today by gluing carpet along top.

DSC01902_zpsbb82eacb.jpg

Here is the side with insulation on it.

DSC01905_zpsf9fdc4d7.jpg

Here I just finished putting the side on and ready to cut the second piece to go next to it.

DSC01906_zpsec11e469.jpg

DSC01907_zps902ae58a.jpg

Here is the second piece finished

DSC01910_zps041db07c.jpg

Here i just cut some trim pieces and glued carpet on them to trim out the top.

DSC01911_zps35f3a2ec.jpg

This is just a pic of where I plasti dipped the bottom of the doors and gas lid and around the fender flares

DSC01903_zpsa8124900.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to put the Luan where the windows are suppose to be in the doors. Hopefully I have enough Luan to do all the doors.

Edited by CaptainKnobby

For the other side try putting in some blocking or something to screw into before the luan (maybe cutting up some steel studs and tying them in). I bet the van will be a lot more enjoyable from a noise / rattle perspective at the very least.

Great project, I've enjoyed following it.

For the other side try putting in some blocking or something to screw into before the luan (maybe cutting up some steel studs and tying them in). I bet the van will be a lot more enjoyable from a noise / rattle perspective at the very least.

Great project, I've enjoyed following it.

Thanks for following it!.....I did put 3/4 inch by 25 inchs long in on the other side to catch the screws for the Luan.

Today I finished all the cutting and the big stuff. All I had to do today is cut out some Luan to put where the window glass goes in the doors and glue on some more carpet over the wheel wells.

Here is the pics of the window covers.

DSC01913_zps69058e6e.jpg

Now installed in the window of the door.

DSC01914_zps2f846809.jpg

Put my hangers back up to where I can hang my riding pants and jerseys

DSC01916_zpse2a124af.jpg

Late this evening I cut 2 strips of carpet and covered the two white rails that run across ways of the roof of the van to cover the white. All I have left to do now is put carpet along the drivers side over head railing where the wiring runs. I will do that when I rest up from all this that I have done. I will have to wait when I can reroute or work around the wiring.

DSC01915_zpsdb0f51ef.jpg

What size of rims did you put on your van?

What size of rims did you put on your van?

The rims are 16 inch and 8 lug and 8 inch rim width with a bolt pattern of 8x6.5