Sign in to follow this  

Power characteristics of 2t's?

Hi guys, i have seen topics roughly like this one but i'd like to find out some stuff that i have not been able to find. In roughly 6 months ill be selling my trusty 99 wr400 and looking for a new bike, I've been looking at 2ts lately and i am wanting me one :p. my mate owns a 2000 cr125 and its fun to ride pinning it around but there is nothing there outside powerband, i know that's how 125's are designed to be like and i was just wondering what are the 250 2t's like outside powerband and how much difference is there between the mx and enduro 2t's in the way of gearing. i only want a 2t so much because for weight and easy to work on, i did the rebuild on my mates cr and its so easy but i would never go near a 4t engine. but the things that are steering me away from the 2ts are how i like to jump bikes (hard to explain) and my love for wheelies, i could not live without being able to pop a wheelies wherever i want, so any info on 250 2ts and how they are set up in the area of power would be great

Cheers, Dale :)

EDIT: i generally just ride around 12 acres but i sometimes go to a track and we have some enduro and a few jumps (50ft)

Edited by DaleRidesAll

+ 1 backyard hack both times. The only thing I miss from my WR450 is the push button start.

i cant see the point on having a 2t road bike unless it was really old when there was no decent 4ts for the reasons you explained. as for your gas gas sounds like a nice bike and very appealing, have you had any experience on a motocross geared 2t?

I ride a 2002 yz250 and I can lug it around all day in the woods with mx gearing. I can open up the throttle in low rpms and the bike just pulls. I def feel when the powerband hits tho, but it just may be my jetting and gearing and lack of flywheel weight. I have no problems getting the front wheel off the ground in 1st thru 3rd

I ride a 2002 yz250 and I can lug it around all day in the woods with mx gearing. I can open up the throttle in low rpms and the bike just pulls. I def feel when the powerband hits tho, but it just may be my jetting and gearing and lack of flywheel weight. I have no problems getting the front wheel off the ground in 1st thru 3rd

Thanks dude, that's pretty much exactly what i wanted to know!

You can also put a different pipe on it to "move" the powerband around. I run the stock pipe, but an FMF gnarly will move the powerband down in the rpms.

that sounds..gnarly :p

i sorta know about the pipes but how much difference do pipes,silencers and changing the gearing on the sprockets actually do?

Those add ons are tuning bits really. Each brand offers something different. The later models from each offer the best combinations. 

Of those listed gearing is significant. It gives you faster access to the spectrums of power you prefer. Also significant is the shorty exhaust which gives snap and low end punch whilst being loud. The only pipe I ever felt actually increase all-round and overall power output was the Pro Circuit Platinum pipe.

ever since i started thinking about a 2t i was thinking shorty with a platinum pipe..thats scary

as for the gearing, what would be a nice ratio for a 250 mx for me? (i ride mx and enduro)

13/50 and 14/52 are popular trail gear ratios for mx bikes. If track use then lose two teeth on rear sprocket.