Sign in to follow this  

Buying yz 250 need advice.

Hello fella's,

Considering buying my first yz 250.

I'm looking at a 1996 yz for $800 (AUD).

The owner is selling it because he has upgraded and he broke it...

He said he was full throttling it when it "seized" then he pulled in the clutch, popped it back out and it ran enough for him to get home.

Since then he said it has had no compression and he believes it just needs new rings.

Also, it has had to be welded just under the kick starter, is this a normal place to crack?

Lastly, the kick starter doesn't spring back when kicked.

Other then that it seems like a decent bike.

Would love any opinions from you intelligent folk!

Thanks guys!

Doesn't sound good to me.. It'll more then likely need a new Cylinder, Piston, AND rings (about $650) I have never hear of a crack appearing under the kickstarter, so no I don't believe its normal, it will more than likely leak transmission fluid. Also I have had my kickstart stick once or twice (not coming back up) and a little bit of WD-40 did the trick for me.

Doesn't sound good to me.. It'll more then likely need a new Cylinder, Piston, AND rings (about $650) I have never hear of a crack appearing under the kickstarter, so no I don't believe its normal, it will more than likely leak transmission fluid. Also I have had my kickstart stick once or twice (not coming back up) and a little bit of WD-40 did the trick for me.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/murwillumbah/motorcycles/yz-250-/1030626862

This is the bike.

The crack has been welded professionally.

Also at $800 I feel 650 for those is actually quite decent for where I live.

There's absolutely no way that new rings will add 170 psi of compression and will keep the motor from seezing

The 1996 YZ250 is a solid bike. Probably a good choice for your first 2-stroke.

Figure at the least a fresh top end for that bike, not just rings.

A complete motor teardown, just to know where things stand, would not be a bad idea.

The lazy kickstarter should be an easy fix. Probably just needs a new return spring.

I know the AUD is different from our $, and bike prices are generally higher over there, so $800 of your money is probably like us spend $650 for the same bike over here.  :excuseme:

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it. Look for a 99 or newer. The 99 is the "new" engine. Much torquier than the previous models.

i´d doubt this would be a good deal, just don´t buy this bike. it doesn´t look like someone would have looked after it a lot

there will sure be better bikes for the money with less work to do

This deal doesn't sound good to me at all. In perfect shape with a fresh rebuild there worth $800 here. With a seized engine you'd end up backwards. Paying more to fix it then what it's worth. I'd stick with 99 and newer. Won't cost much more but alot better for the money

I would save some more money and look for a newer model. I don't know much about the Australian market but over here your going to spend way more money fixing the bike than what it's worth. I bought my first bike, an 03 yz250 for $1500 and it was basically in perfect condition. Your going to spend close to that by the time your finished rebuilding the one your looking at

This deal doesn't sound good to me at all. In perfect shape with a fresh rebuild there worth $800 here. With a seized engine you'd end up backwards. Paying more to fix it then what it's worth. I'd stick with 99 and newer. Won't cost much more but alot better for the money

Its actually one of the cheapest yz's in all of australia on gumtree atm :/

He seems to think it still turns over :)

Even if it does if it has at any point seized. The rings barrel and piston will be damaged. If you want it buy it. But you asked for advice and that guy is talkin garbage. Up to you

Even if it does if it has at any point seized. The rings barrel and piston will be damaged. If you want it buy it. But you asked for advice and that guy is talkin garbage. Up to you

I understand that.

I planned on doing a full rebuild no matter what yz i brought.

What would be the difference for this one? possibly needs boring/replated bore?

I understand that.

I planned on doing a full rebuild no matter what yz i brought.

What would be the difference for this one? possibly needs boring/replated bore?

It's old, your better buying a bike that works and the rebuild it and a newer one at that how much do you think a full rebuild will cost? For the money your gonna spend you can get something new that works. Iv known people get old bike that are not in working condition and have found expensive hidden problems when rebuilding it like crap welds, cracks, boned suspension, boned frames and all sorts. The simple fact is you get what you pay for, you can't believe a word the guy selling it to you says, and there is a reason it's so cheep.

It's old, your better buying a bike that works and the rebuild it and a newer one at that how much do you think a full rebuild will cost? For the money your gonna spend you can get something new that works. Iv known people get old bike that are not in working condition and have found expensive hidden problems when rebuilding it like crap welds, cracks, boned suspension, boned frames and all sorts. The simple fact is you get what you pay for, you can't believe a word the guy selling it to you says, and there is a reason it's so cheep.

Yeah, I understand all this.

The thing is, I think it's what im looking for.

I want a bike that i can learn absolutely thrash.

I haven't done any off road riding at all so it's highly likely this bike will be crashed many many times.

It's also very cheap for where I live.

I'll have a close look at the frame and engine for cracks.

Almost any other YZ around here would be about $2k and it's likely they have been thrashed just as hard :/

Yeah, I understand all this.

The thing is, I think it's what im looking for.

I want a bike that i can learn absolutely thrash.

I haven't done any off road riding at all so it's highly likely this bike will be crashed many many times.

It's also very cheap for where I live.

I'll have a close look at the frame and engine for cracks.

Almost any other YZ around here would be about $2k and it's likely they have been thrashed just as hard :/

Sounds like you made up your mind before you posted. Iv looked at it an it looks like a pile. Up to you buy it, you'll regret it trust me it will need nearly everything replacing save the extra 1200 an buy a better bike I got a 2003 in very good condition an still had to spend 700 there isn't a cheap option when it comes to dirt bikes. Fact

Sounds like you made up your mind before you posted. Iv looked at it an it looks like a pile. Up to you buy it, you'll regret it trust me it will need nearly everything replacing save the extra 1200 an buy a better bike I got a 2003 in very good condition an still had to spend 700 there isn't a cheap option when it comes to dirt bikes. Fact

I think my mind was almost made up :p

I'm really loving this feedback though!

I was under the impression, from many people i have spoke to, that YZ's are really hard to break and will run forever.

However, you give me the opposite impression.

Other then the engine and general wear and tear parts, what else is likely to cost me big time on this?