Back problems from riding?

Was just wondering if anyone else has had a lot of strain in the lower back from riding the drz? I have an 05. I know they make the air seat things and gel seats I was wondering if those help a lot? Any input would be great. I'm not very old and I don't recall havimg any problems before this summer. This is my first year riding also I'm sure other stuff like posture and all that plays a role now that im aware I'm definitely gonna remember good posture. Also I'm sure the amount I rode didn't help lol ride at least 4000 mkles just from spring to fall. Thanks for any and all replys

Do you wear a kidney belt?

This. I have back problems to begin with, and for longer rides on the DRZ or R6 I wear a back brace, it's makes a huge difference.

Plus 1

I don't ride without one.

on the street i usually sit way back on the seat to keep the back stretched out. but 200 miles of drz and my butt and lower back is done.

But really the drz has a pretty good seat imo

+1 kidney belt

Adjust the suspension for what you're doing (revalve (diy is very much feasible - link to revalving info), new springs if needed for your weight)

How tall are you? I'm 6' and slightly long-limbed and the stock ergonomics are cramped for me. Not enough distance between footpegs / seat / handlebar. I've got +2in up +2in foward bar risers and the bars still aren't high enough - and what happens is a "kinked" lower back. And I actually want a taller seat. But the handlebar/footpeg distance is imo the main factor in adjusting the cockpit to allow the rider's spine to be straight.

Do you stand when riding off-road? If not, stand up more. (After making sure the standing attack position feels secure and comfortable to you!)

Then various other things will affect how the bike treats you. An autoclutch, steering damper, lightening the bike. All of these mean less work and less contortions when riding. I'm sure that playing with the fork height / rear sag combo will also allow you to spare your back a bit. Raise the forks, drop the rear = more stable bike = less effort.

Make sure your core muscles are doing the work of keeping you in an upright position. Relying on your spine to hold you up will result in lower back pain.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm gonna look into a kidney belt for next season its getting a lil to cold to ride this year lol.

Kidney belt...plus I tend to stand more then sit while riding.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back, but I have no need for any external back support. The best things you can do for back pain are to work on flexibility in your hips, glutes, and hamstrings and to do lower back exercises. Also make sure that your abdomen is always at least a partially engaged to help support your back. As far as posture goes, keeping a neutral lower spine is important. When you tell 99% of people to straighten their lower back they hyper extend their back. A straight spine is somewhere between rounded and arched.

Edited by overgrownmoose

Some back strengthening exercises and/or some light gym work could prove to be useful....

Yeah .. Look ... I have severe back problems , it all started after I cased my CR500R waaay back in the 80's . I crushed some vertebra and I have never been the same since . My whole body went numb after the incident , I should have pulled in at the time ... But I didn't . First place meant so much to me back then :thumbsup:

I am at the point now where I am I constant pain and I can't ride for long periods .

Was just wondering if anyone else has had a lot of strain in the lower back from riding the drz? I have an 05. I know they make the air seat things and gel seats I was wondering if those help a lot? Any input would be great. I'm not very old and I don't recall havimg any problems before this summer. This is my first year riding also I'm sure other stuff like posture and all that plays a role now that im aware I'm definitely gonna remember good posture. Also I'm sure the amount I rode didn't help lol ride at least 4000 mkles just from spring to fall. Thanks for any and all replys

swapping seats makes a comfort difference, for butts that don't like 2x4's. i swap between my stock seat and a seat stuff with yoga mat foam, about twice a month. it makes a difference just to have a different position, and different vibes traveling up the spine. 

POSTURE is a much bigger item for comfort i've found. good posture, with good pressure on the pegs  = less back strain. as i've gotten tired on longer rides, i've caught myself slouching and forming the "riding a cruiser" back shape. it's very bad for aggrevated back problems, and worse for vibrations. a few side-of-the-road stretches alleviates this quickly, and wakes up the muscles that should be doing their job. 

GUT belt (some folks call it a kidney belt, old guys know what it really does) - does a great job of supporting the old gut, and a little bit of help in straightening the back. the first time you fall on a -anything- and it doesn't squash your kidneys, rib, or gut, you'll love it. 

standing - if you can get your bars setup right for standing, do more of it. sitting on a bike is not a natural position for the human body. standing is (or it's closer anyway). more shock absorbtion, more control in jarring conditions, and more comfort after a BIG HIT. standing with a badly setup bar position means more back strain, at least for lurch-like people. 

I think I need to buy a kidney belt for my daily 2.5 hour train ride to work now! I get off the train and my lower back is going :cry:

I put some lower profile Rizoma bars on the DRZ. Like Anthon Berg I'm tall (6'2") with a 34" inseam. I went with a Seat Concepts TALL seat to get me positioned more comfortably. I'm used to a sport bike with lower bars, but riding the reclining DRZ bar stool is much more comfortable!