Sign in to follow this  

Front end clunk

My last ride in the dirt, every time the front end came off the ground suddenly. There would be an audible clunk in the front end. Pretty sure it's in the forks. Thought I had a seal blow and was out of oil. Pulled the accordian protection boot and alll dry. Have done some searches to no avail. Am ready to pull things apart and investigate. Though I would put this out to you all and your vast knowledge of this Great Bike.

Any thoughts , advice , direction ....would be appreciated....

It's more likely to be your headset has developed some play in it.

most times you can adjusted it, I had mine start clunking out riding when I didn't tighten my lock nut adequately.

Edited by jjast

Thanks. I try that first. Certainly easier than pulling apart the front forks. It's an 05 XR650L with 17,000 miles. I bought it a few months ago with a couple thousand less miles. The bike looked like it just rolled off the show room . But I've put some  hard , very fun miles on it and thought I might have broken something.

As you disassemble the front end to check the steering bearing tension, make note of the tension of all the various bolts.  Rattles from many places can resonate throughout the bike. 

And I'd recommend some low strength loctite on every fastener when reassembling.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

Clunking on top out is usually low, too light, worn out oil or to much spring preload. I've seen loose or broken damping rods a couple times too. If it's clunking on hard impacts that is common with the early CR and late XR/L cartridge forks. Stiffer springs help some. Others have said 15w fork oil helps. I haven't tried that since I just use ATF. It's one of the reasons people swap to USDs.

Edited by valvesrule

Others have said 15w fork oil helps. I haven't tried that since I just use ATF. It's one of the reasons people swap to USDs.

i got an old wr250 2 banger and it should run 5W oil int th forks but cause im fat i run 10W it works so much better and still has the plush on the top but the dampening just works way better (totally different bike)