Metal shavings?

Ok so we took that thingy off and and inside it there is a compartment that holds a little rectangular screen, i think its an oil screen under the flywheel and there were a couple of little pieces of a rubbery type substance and a couple of pieces of decent sized metal, i just wanna no if its bad, and if it is bad how bad. Keep in mind the guy i bought it from had just recently had the motor rebuilt himself.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382906756.444435.jpgthis is the thingy i was talking about, the cover thingy

I would love to help, but I did not understand a single word you said and the picture doesn't help at all

Kawasaki? The "thingy" is the stator cover. Had mine off not long ago doing a rebuild. The rubbery stuff is likely rtv/silicon from around the grommet where the wires enter. As for the metal shavings, I'm not sure. Could be from the new parts wearing in, or could be because of something else. I would probably drain the oil to see if any metal made it past the screen or oil filter, and change the oil filter also. Did you notice if it was steel or aluminum?

Kawasaki? The "thingy" is the stator cover. Had mine off not long ago doing a rebuild. The rubbery stuff is likely rtv/silicon from around the grommet where the wires enter. As for the metal shavings, I'm not sure. Could be from the new parts wearing in, or could be because of something else. I would probably drain the oil to see if any metal made it past the screen or oil filter, and change the oil filter also. Did you notice if it was steel or aluminum?

nah dude it was SOAKED in oil

never mind it was aluminum

I would say it's normal depending on the size of the metal. Small metal shaving after a full rebuild would be normal from parts wearing in, but big chunks of metal not so much. Does the bike have a magnetic drain plug on it? If so, check there while changing oil/filter. Let us know how it goes...

I would say it's normal depending on the size of the metal. Small metal shaving after a full rebuild would be normal from parts wearing in, but big chunks of metal not so much. Does the bike have a magnetic drain plug on it? If so, check there while changing oil/filter. Let us know how it goes...

Thanks for the responses everyone.  This is my son's bike and we are working on it together, both pretty new at this but learning fast.

We don't have a magnetic drain plug but did just change the oil and filter and pulled the stator cover and clutch cover to repaint them and replace gaskets (they were slightly leaking).  There were a few sand sized particals of what looked to be aluminum and two or three larger slivers about twice the size of a pin head on the oil screen but I didn't notice any metal in the oil filter or in the oil.

One of my co-workers mentioned flushing a few cycles through while checking the oil screen between refills.  Is this overkill?

Edited by McJohn

Those little telescoping magnets you can find at the auto parts store will allow you to pick up any sediment at the bottom of the motor from the stator side, just to see if it's steel.  You can also run a magnet through the waste oil to pick up any steel.  The reason steel is important is that nothing aluminum should be of any concern, but steel chips would cause me some concern, just because that's what bearings are made of.  Is it possible that someone put a Helicoil in at some point?  Maybe for the drain plug?  That can put aluminum shavings into the motor.  Harmless.  Also, if the clutch starts to go, you may see fragments.  Also harmless.

Not knowing the history of your bike, finding a little debris is often not a concern.

When an engine is manufactured, every effort is made to make it perfectly clean. This is not always successful. So shavings and chips end up getting caught by the screen (to keep the junk from scoring the oil pump). I bet this is what you found. The rubbery stuff was sealant from either the case halves (it squishes out during assembly, resist the urge to pick at it on the out side of the engine), the stator wires or from the valve cover 'moon' bottoms. Most of the debris in your engine is non-magnetic.

It is reccomended with a new bike, first oil change, to clean the screen. After, check/clean it every five to ten oil changes. After the first cleaning, you should find next to nothing on that screen unless you suffer some sort of serious engine malfunction.

If its aluminum particles you found in the screen I would take a look at the clutch assembly just to make sure there isnt anything going on with it. I have found a lot of times when aluminum is found in the system its coming from worn fingers on the clutch basket or failing clutch plates.

I disagree that its normal to find metal of any kind in the oil screen of these bikes.

If it were a 1975 Triumph or HD maybe then its normal

I'd at least remove the clutch cover on the opposite side and investigate that as the reply -1 indicated