Sign in to follow this  

Fork height measurement?

So I'm not 100% sure where to take the measurement at to set my fork height. I've never really messed with it. I tried to do a google search and get tons of oil height levels but nothing that really answers my question. So do you measure from the top of the fork tube itself? Ot do you measure from the lip of the hex on the damper rod assembly?

Sorry for the dumb question I just want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Forks need to be 100% compressed, then measure to the top of the fork tube.

Why would I compress my forks to set the fork height in the clamps.....

Measure to the seam between fork leg and cap.

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

...you mentioned fork oil..

You apparently read none of the thread then.... I said that all I found on google was fork oil height and nothing aboit fork height....

I thought the same thing as Krannie when I first read your OP, just a misunderstanding because the the phraseology you used.

Edited by Eddie8v

I thought the same thing as Krannie when I first read your OP, just a misunderstanding because the the phraseology you used.

I guess I don't see it.... both the title and in my question I say fork height. I mention oil once and it says that's all I found on google search... but no big deal. I got the answer I needed.

You mentioned fork oil height and we just figured you left the word "oil" out later. No big deal, it's all good.

The reason I assumed 'oil' is because you are not actually moving the forks, so the 'fork height' does not change.

Only the rest of the bike moves altering rake, ride height, and weight distribution.

Hence it is sometime referred to as fork/clamp overlap, or lowering the clamps.

And, it does not matter where you measure it from, but you can measure from the top of the tube.

So I'm not 100% sure where to take the measurement at to set my fork height. I've never really messed with it. I tried to do a google search and get tons of oil height levels but nothing that really answers my question. So do you measure from the top of the fork tube itself? Ot do you measure from the lip of the hex on the damper rod assembly?

Sorry for the dumb question I just want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Its not a dumb question.  I measure to the seam between the cap and the fork as previosly noted.  I use a metal machinist's ruler with milimeter markings.  Also, measure both forks at the same relative point on the top clamp when setting both tube heights.

Good luck.