SM-To E(?) conversion.

Long time lurker, first time poster!

No where near my first bike, but def. my newest bike.

I've had my 08' 400-SM for about a year now, and bought it for a fun, city-bike to drive back and forth to work/play.

Well, I'm looking to transition into more dirt riding with it now. I had a street-legal Yamaha TTR250 years back, and did alot of dual-sporting/long rides/camping trips with it. Looking to set my SM up the same.

My biggest thing is the wheel/tire situation. I'm (idealy) looking for a second set of dirt rims, as I have a brand-new set of tires for 18/21's

All I've been able to find are new sets for $1000+ Not really wanting to drop $1000+ on some dirt rims. And everytime I catch some on ebay, it's when I've not a penny to spare (of course, LOL).

Now, I'm not opposed to the ideas of:

1) Picking up a set of 17'' dual-sport tires from http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/drz400.html#wheels

Though, I'm not sure how they perform..

2) Trading my SM wheels for some S (or E?) wheels.

But I'd imagine I'd have to relocate the calipers?

What about the gear-ratio? Are they pretty close? For off-road, I'd like to get something a little lower-geared.

Anyways.. I've browsed the forums, and I've only been able to find little snips and pieces here and there.. Only people looking to convert TO an SM model, not the other-way around.

I'm going to keep searching, but if there is anything else that I should be aware of, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, I'm in the Dallas area, so if any other DRZ guys out this way, give a hollar!

Thanks!

Not really sure wher the question was.  SM to S conversion is common.  Use E or S wheels (the same).  Keep your eyes open, sets come up for $600 to $800.  Use the SM brake disc and no caliper relocation needed.  Use a S speedo drive.  Gear to suit, it is always a compromise. 14/47 is E gearing. 15/44 was S gearing.  Something in between will probably work.  If you do not need the SM wheels they can be sold for about the same as the S/E wheels cost you.

Long time lurker, first time poster!

No where near my first bike, but def. my newest bike.

I've had my 08' 400-SM for about a year now, and bought it for a fun, city-bike to drive back and forth to work/play.

Well, I'm looking to transition into more dirt riding with it now. I had a street-legal Yamaha TTR250 years back, and did alot of dual-sporting/long rides/camping trips with it. Looking to set my SM up the same.

My biggest thing is the wheel/tire situation. I'm (idealy) looking for a second set of dirt rims, as I have a brand-new set of tires for 18/21's

All I've been able to find are new sets for $1000+ Not really wanting to drop $1000+ on some dirt rims. And everytime I catch some on ebay, it's when I've not a penny to spare (of course, LOL).

Now, I'm not opposed to the ideas of:

1) Picking up a set of 17'' dual-sport tires from http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/drz400.html#wheels

Though, I'm not sure how they perform..

2) Trading my SM wheels for some S (or E?) wheels.

But I'd imagine I'd have to relocate the calipers?

What about the gear-ratio? Are they pretty close? For off-road, I'd like to get something a little lower-geared.

Anyways.. I've browsed the forums, and I've only been able to find little snips and pieces here and there.. Only people looking to convert TO an SM model, not the other-way around.

I'm going to keep searching, but if there is anything else that I should be aware of, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, I'm in the Dallas area, so if any other DRZ guys out this way, give a hollar!

Thanks!

it's easier to sell the bike and get an S. 

less easy = shinko 244's

still less easy = change out the rotors, gearing, to a new set of 18/21", and still have those purdy USD stanction tubes waiting to bump a rock and dump all your fork oil, and that huge front rotor (rock, again), and the reduced suspension travel

even more of the less easy = exchanging short SM forks and shock for longer S forks and shock

really, you should give shinko 244's a shot first. if you -like- off roading, then look into an S model. the narrower front wheel (and rear) makes for much better handling off road, and hopping logs are cake. 

Long time lurker as well...

I just recently did what you're hoping to do.  Found a set of S wheels (ebay for roughly $550), installed a Kenda 760 Trakmaster on the rear and a Pirelli MT21 on the front.  Left the gearing and front rotor stock.

After riding the trails once, the only change I've made is swapping out the rear sprocket for a 44 ... much better (tempted to try a 47 however I think then the chain will be too short).

Not sure what to do about the front rotor as it does provide more than enough braking, and, I sometimes wonder how long before it gets dinged.

Hope that helps a little

I have an sm with both sm and s/e wheel setups and have had no issues with suspension or the front rotor. I run 15/48 for dirt and 15/44 for sm both with the same chain. Would like to go 14/48 or 50 for a bit more grunt. I have had the bike in some pretty tight situation through rocks mud and trees with no issues so far. Not sure how much of an advantage switcing to an s model would be.

• Like 1

Long time lurker as well...

I just recently did what you're hoping to do.  Found a set of S wheels (ebay for roughly $550), installed a Kenda 760 Trakmaster on the rear and a Pirelli MT21 on the front.  Left the gearing and front rotor stock.

After riding the trails once, the only change I've made is swapping out the rear sprocket for a 44 ... much better (tempted to try a 47 however I think then the chain will be too short).

Not sure what to do about the front rotor as it does provide more than enough braking, and, I sometimes wonder how long before it gets dinged.

Hope that helps a little

if the chain is stock length, 15/41 and 14/47 should fit, no issues. the 14/47 will be much closer to minimal adjustment, the 15/41 around 1/2 way through the adjusters. i don't know if there is a trick to quickly adjust the slack on a SM swingarm, for the S/E/K it's just a quick number change on both sides. ideas for the SM guys ? 

I picked up a set of zeta axle blocks. They are longer on one side so you can flip them and get some more adjustment. Still cant fit 15/48 and 15/41 on the same chain... that would be ideal

could you post up a link to the axle blocks and stuff, so future kids can see em ? 

if you swap to 14/47 on the dirt wheels, they should fit with stock chain, and it's a better DS (not interstate!) ratio anyway. ?

• 6 months later...