Detonation...race gas or re map ignition?

My 2011 is having a lot of detonation (pinging/rattling) when I'm wringing it out hard in the sand dunes.  That's with 91 octane.  It runs fine on 91 for all other desert riding just not in the sand. 

Bike is totally stock but I'm curious if I should just run 50/50 gas with some pump/VP or if having the ignition re mapped for the type of riding I do will solve the detonation problem? 

Thanks guys

You probably don't need 50/50. Mine was detonating and I ended up using 1 gal Sunoco 110 to 4 gal pump which cleaned it right up.

I would be inclinded to use the fix that DOESN'T cost about $20 a gallon.

I would be inclinded to use the fix that DOESN'T cost about $20 a gallon.

What costs 20$ a gallon? No race gas I would buy.

Edited by TwoCrfs

You probably don't need 50/50. Mine was detonating and I ended up using 1 gal Sunoco 110 to 4 gal pump which cleaned it right up.

Thank you I will give this a run.

Thank you I will give this a run.

You should consider the ratio of motor octane, as the posted pump octane is MON+RON/2.... I believe the sunnoco MON is around 107 off my head.... pump 87 mon is around 82 so guestimating at approx 86 mon your getting a blend of about 90 MON rating at 4 gallons pump to 1 gallon sunoco 110..

This is not a fact, you should do your research on the MON ratings of the fuel available just threw some numbers off my head down to give you an idea... 

Another thing to consider is that the ethanol is not really good either.  For a budget high octane fuel you should really look into using AV fuel, 100LL. Typically its under 6$ a gallon and in my mind thats cheap enough to run it straight to avoid detonation issues (not to mention theirs no ethanol content)

Edited by dmm698

+1 i get my AVgas here in texas for 5$ a gallon i just run it straight.

I mix 50/50 of 87 pump to VP blue and my bike seems to run great.  2013 KX450F.  Might get it remapped though so I can run straight VP blue, don't like mixing with crap gas but oh well, for now.