Finally repaired my cr125 pipe

I really like the performance of my stock pipe on my 02 cr125 but the black dented thing looked rough.

I like the PC works pipe but being happy with my stocker and having other mods to spend that money towards, I decided to fix mine.

It looks dark with the fresh oil and zero bake in time but overall I'm happy with it.

Hey, this just saved me enough money to order a Lectron now!!!1382928497390.jpg1382928526360.jpg

I really like the performance of my stock pipe on my 02 cr125 but the black dented thing looked rough.

I like the PC works pipe but being happy with my stocker and having other mods to spend that money towards, I decided to fix mine.

It looks dark with the fresh oil and zero bake in time but overall I'm happy with it.

Hey, this just saved me enough money to order a Lectron now!!!attachicon.gif1382928497390.jpgattachicon.gif1382928526360.jpg

Looks great!! Have any before pics and a description of how you repaired it?

Thanks!

This is prob the best pic of stocker before.

1382966275931.jpg

So I sandblasted my pipe to get rid of the black and some rust spots.

1382966407734.jpg

It was raining that day and I ran out of time so I sprayed some moly lube on it to protect the raw metal from moisture over night.

1382966605342.jpg

I used a rubber plug on the can end and a plumbing pipe cap modified with air chuck and valve on the manifold end. I put screw eyelets into both rubber ends to use metal wire as a method to secure against flying across shop under pressure. I used a regulator with gauge to control pressure.

1382967095905.jpg

I started with about 30psi and put the MAP torch to the dents. As I went along I ended up going up on pressure to get some of the dents out.

1382967505349.jpg

After I got the dents out best as possible I sandblasted it again to remove the discoloration.

1382967649359.jpg

I put on a light coat of dry moly lube, then used the torch to kinda blue the seams.

1382968207387.jpg

Good thing is that if I decide I want a different finish all I have to do is sandblast it and start over. :D

Edited by CoJo_MoJo

Thanks! This is prob the best pic of stocker before. attachicon.gif1382966275931.jpg So I sandblasted my pipe to get rid of the black and some rust spots. attachicon.gif1382966407734.jpg It was raining that day and I ran out of time so I sprayed some moly lube on it to protect the raw metal from moisture over night. attachicon.gif1382966605342.jpg I used a rubber plug on the can end and a plumbing pipe cap modified with air chuck and valve on the manifold end. I put screw eyelets into both rubber ends to use metal wire as a method to secure against flying across shop under pressure. I used a regulator with gauge to control pressure. attachicon.gif1382967095905.jpg I started with about 30psi and put the MAP torch to the dents. As I went along I ended up going up on pressure to get some of the dents out. attachicon.gif1382967505349.jpg After I got the dents out best as possible I sandblasted it again to remove the discoloration. attachicon.gif1382967649359.jpg I put on a light coat of dry moly lube, then used the torch to kinda blue the seams. attachicon.gif1382968207387.jpg Good thing is that if I decide I want a different finish all I have to do is sandblast it and start over. :D

Man, you done great on it. Good thing ya took the pics in stages, because some moron was gonna ask about the method, and it just happened to be me lol. The reason I was/am so curious, is because I am considering trading up my fmf fatty, in like new condition to someone local for a stock pipe with some dents. Just wondering what my odds are to get the great results you have. I know the extent of the damage is going to be a factor, but I dont think the one I am considering was any worse.  They say the stock pipe performs great, and for me, I dont care for all the chrome look, so thats my biggest reason for wanting to swap. Thanks again for all the help. :thumbsup:

Edited by wykyd450r

Yeah I've learned a lot of stuff from TT and I like pictures lol. I was surprised the dents that popped out. I didn't have any really big deep ones but a bunch of shallow with sharp edges that turned out good. I've got one still that is more of a line that I couldn't get out. I'm please with the outcome though.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my stock pipe.

But it can be a bit dangerous if you pop a seam or a plug.

Why not fill the pipe with water before applying pressure?

And if your'e going to use a torch for help, fill the pipe with sand?

less compressed air=safer

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my stock pipe.

But it can be a bit dangerous if you pop a seam or a plug.

Why not fill the pipe with water before applying pressure?

And if your'e going to use a torch for help, fill the pipe with sand?

less compressed air=safer

The danger is what my biggest fear is. Hate like heck to get injured or killed repairing a pipe lol. I like your idea of the sand too. Me and guys were talking at work, and are thinking we could close one end off, and close the other end off, and add a grease fitting ( zerk ) to one of the ends. We have a powered grease pump at work that has alot of pressure ( used to fill smaller grease guns ) and use it by filling the pipe with grease and pop the dents out. Getting the grease out would suck, but it can be done with heat and finish with kerosene or something to remove the grease film.

The danger is what my biggest fear is. Hate like heck to get injured or killed repairing a pipe lol. I like your idea of the sand too. Me and guys were talking at work, and are thinking we could close one end off, and close the other end off, and add a grease fitting ( zerk ) to one of the ends. We have a powered grease pump at work that has alot of pressure ( used to fill smaller grease guns ) and use it by filling the pipe with grease and pop the dents out. Getting the grease out would suck, but it can be done with heat and finish with kerosene or something to remove the grease film.

sounds like a good idea! You could apply the water trick there too, easier cleanup with just a little grease in there and lots of water

sounds like a good idea! You could apply the water trick there too, easier cleanup with just a little grease in there and lots of water

NOW you're on to something!! :thumbsup:

Yeah I guess I live of the edge, besides a face shield and leather gloves lol. But I did have my plugs secured by wire with just enough slack to allow pop off to vent but still not go anywhere, while pointed a safe direction.. I tested them to pop off around 70psi consistently. I ended up putting a small vent hole by the chuck to try and prevent catastrophic failure anyway. Doing one dent at atime and breaks is a great idea, that was the hardest part for me. Im sure there are other ways to do it that are more creative and maybe even safer but I find this way to do it is easier and cleaner. ;)

The more I think about your idea, I keep wondering if you could put a plactic bag inside the pipe as a liner it might make getting grease out afterwards. Just a though.

Edited by CoJo_MoJo

ive heard of guys back in the day filling the dented pipe with water and corking both ends and dropping it in a deep freezer, until the water freezes and expands and removing dents but if you leave it in to long itll blow welds apart? anyone else heard of this..

ive heard of guys back in the day filling the dented pipe with water and corking both ends and dropping it in a deep freezer, until the water freezes and expands and removing dents but if you leave it in to long itll blow welds apart? anyone else heard of this..

I was told about the freezing water also but heard if more busted pipes. Easier for me to control heat. Id like to hear anyone thats had sucess another way cause I may smash my pipe and need serious repair. I like to have back ups.

i have a friend who has done it, and has busted a pipe as well but did successfully complete it the next time he tried it apparently you have to keep checking it, it can go from fixed to broken again real quick, also he said it works better on larger dents with the small dings your pushing the limits of expansion an busting the welds

Yeah I didnt see this coming.....

1383358923712.jpg