Sign in to follow this  

What to buy. Seat height is important

Bought my wife 120lb 5,9" a yz85 a couple years ago. the bike is beginning to become to small for her but she can start it. She likes being able to put her feet down. The full size frame is about 3-4" too tall but the 85 is about 3-4" to small! Brand isn't dreadfully important. Seat height is and she needs to be able to start it. Compression on the 250yzf is way to much for her but a four stroke power band would suit her well.

Any thoughts?

Bought my wife 120lb 5,9" a yz85 a couple years ago. the bike is beginning to become to small for her but she can start it. She likes being able to put her feet down. The full size frame is about 3-4" too tall but the 85 is about 3-4" to small! Brand isn't dreadfully important. Seat height is and she needs to be able to start it. Compression on the 250yzf is way to much for her but a four stroke power band would suit her well.

Any thoughts?

Thought about a kx100, KLX300, XC200, TTR230/250??? There are a lot of options out there.

wr250f, crf250x . since they have electric start, lower the forks into the triple clamps, and buy a lowering link for the rear

How much does the lowering link lower the seat and how does it work. How far do you drop the forks? There isn't much "suggested" movement but what can realistically be done if your looking for lowered seat height.

a lowering link is a replacement for the stock linkage arm, it will bring the back end of the bike down 2 inches. You can then raise the fork tubes up in the clamp by 10-12 mm. you will end up with the seat about 1.5 inches lower than stock. You could also try to shave a few inches off the seat foam, but that might mess with ergonomics and may make the seat uncomfortable. 

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/DeVol-Lowering-Link-Blue

Edited by Vernsker298

The 230 is a brute. It weighs near three times as much as she does and all the weight is really high. Seat height is about the same as the 85 I do believe, tried her sitting in one the other day.

Confirmed, the seat height is a whooping .3" taller than the 85. I'm thinking the lowering link idea might be the trick. What about the yz125. What's the power band like? The 85 is all or nothing. She's a good sledder, rides close to 3000mi per year so power band use is ok but the all or nothing approach on the 85 is a little unsettling for her which is why I thought the linear power band of the four stroke would be better.

Any thoughts?

I have a buddy who is kinda short, he's about 5'8" . He has a YZ125 with almost all the preload off the shock spring (low rear) , the forks slid up too far in the triples(low front) and he took the seat cover off and shaved it down with a bread knife. He sits flat footed on it like this . I rode it and it actually still rode pretty good , especially if someone was just trail riding. If you put a long throw throttle tube (a G2 throttle tube) it would mellow it quite a bit ...and it weighs about 198...very light.  A yz125 is super easy to kick start .

I would say the powerband an a yz125 will be nearly identical to that of a yz85. You can put a flywheel weight on the 125 but if height is an issue you will still have to lower it. The crf230 is a bit lower than the yz125 in stock form.... and with a lot more usable powerband for her. The 230 does have some weight to it, but with a lowering link it is completely manageable for someone your wife's size.

A couple of my buddies have gotten their wives into single track riding and the 2 gals ride a crf230 and a kx100. The kx100 has a flywheel weight and a big rear sprocket on it to help make the engine more lug-able. The crf is bone stock. The Kx100 is SMALL and it is underpowered compared to the crf230. Not to mention the seat height on the kx looks to low to the ground for an adult. The good thing about the 100 is that it is confidence inspiring. It is light enough you don't have to fight the bike if you are new to riding and it wont scare you by tipping you over on the trails. 

We have tinkered with the ttr230/250 models and the xr200 as well, but these bikes are really heavy and sluggish. I know they meant to be beginner bikes, but they are really awkward for newbies to get comfortable on.     

I would say the powerband an a yz125 will be nearly identical to that of a yz85. You can put a flywheel weight on the 125 but if height is an issue you will still have to lower it. The crf230 is a bit lower than the yz125 in stock form.... and with a lot more usable powerband for her. The 230 does have some weight to it, but with a lowering link it is completely manageable for someone your wife's size.

A couple of my buddies have gotten their wives into single track riding and the 2 gals ride a crf230 and a kx100. The kx100 has a flywheel weight and a big rear sprocket on it to help make the engine more lug-able. The crf is bone stock. The Kx100 is SMALL and it is underpowered compared to the crf230. Not to mention the seat height on the kx looks to low to the ground for an adult. The good thing about the 100 is that it is confidence inspiring. It is light enough you don't have to fight the bike if you are new to riding and it wont scare you by tipping you over on the trails. 

We have tinkered with the ttr230/250 models and the xr200 as well, but these bikes are really heavy and sluggish. I know they meant to be beginner bikes, but they are really awkward for newbies to get comfortable on.     

A YZ85 does not have a power valve, it is more all or nothing than a  power valve equipped bike. Many who ride the YZ 125 state that the bottom end rideability is as good as a motocrosser 125 will get.

A YZ125 gets my vote. KX100 underpowered? my CR85 did not seem 'underpowered' compared to my mates TTR230? Dunno what you're on about there.

I put my daughter (5' 4" and 115 lbs) on KDX200 with lowering link and shaved seat.  Would work great for your wife - but they are getting tough to find since '06 was the last year.  '05 was the last year of the KDX220.  Suggestions for WR250F, KLX300R are also good ones, but these a much heavier bikes than the 2 strokes.  a 200cc two stroke would have better torque than the 125 two stroke being suggested.....so perhaps look at the KTM 200 EXC/XC-W or KTM 150XC.  One issue (to my recollection) is that I dont think they are linkage type rear suspension (at least the older versions) so that eliminates the lowering link\idea, but you can look into having the suspension professionally lowered ($500-$1000).  Like everything in life, it comes down to dollars.

Honestly, having struggled with this issue with my daughter, there are very limited options for women and a lot of compromises to be made (at least given the budget that I thought was reasonable).  There is probably a huge marketing opportunity there where someone can mix and match frame sizes, wheel sizes, two stroke/4 stroke motors, and close ratio/wide ratio trans. - but would probably also mean custom bikes with $10K plus price tags and limited resale appeal.

Edited by SilvFx

a 200cc two stroke would have better torque than the 125 two stroke being suggested.....so perhaps look at the KTM 200 EXC/XC-W or KTM 150XC. 

I had a 200 , it's about twice the torque of a 125 . Ktm200's aren't that easy to find around here .  125's are pretty common and will have more torque than the 85 she's already on. I weigh 170 and my 125 pulled me up anything , at her weight I think the only thing you'd need on a 125 is a G2 long throw throttle.  What I said in my post above will work. The guy I mention is short and thin , he sit's flat footed on the YZ125 . A yz125 or ktm200 will have much better susp than a kdx if that matters. Good luck man