HELP! YZ85, TTR, KX60/80, CR70/80 ?

HI GUYS,

I'M STRUGGLING TO FIND A BIKE. I GREW UP WITH A PEE WEE 50 AND LAST YEAR DECIDED TO GET BACK IN TO BIKES AND BOUGHT A CHEAP ATOMIK FROM A LOCAL (BIG MISTAKE, DID NOT FEEL SAFE ON THE HUNK OF JUNK), SO NOW I'M BACK IN THE MARKET BUT AM STRUGGLING TO DECIDE ON WHAT TO GET.

THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I ONLY WANT TO SPEND MAX AU $1000 AS IT'S JUST TO RIDE AROUND ON MY PARENTS 5 ACRE BLOCK OF LAND.

THE OTHER PROBLEM IS THAT I'M A SHORT ASS (5"1) SO CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING TOO BIG.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT A RELITEVLY CHEAP YZ85 IN THE AREA BUT I KNOW IT'S MORE OF A MOTORCROSS BIKE & THAT'S NOT WHAT I'LL BE USING IT FOR. OTHER BIKES I'M KEEN ON ARE LATE 90'S - EARLY 2000 KX 60/80, CR70/80'S, KTM 65/85 AND TTRS.

I WAS TRYING TO STAY AWAY FROM 2 STROKES AS THE OLD MAN SAYS THEY HAVE A LOT MORE PROBLEMS THAN 4'S. BUT EVERYTHING I'M FINDING SEEMS TO BE A 2 STROKE. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD 4 STROKE THAT ISN'T TOO OLD OR TOO OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE?

OR RECOMMEND A GOOD 2 STROKE FOR MY HEIGHT, EXPERIENCE AND WHAT I WANT IT FOR?

ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

CHEERS!!

Your to big for the 60,65,70. I would go w/ the 80 2 stroke or look into a crf150,klx140/125, drz125, or a ttr125

You think? To me a kx60 for example seems like the perfect size for my height and weight (I'm very petite) and don't want something too big cause I wont feel comfortable riding it

are you still growing? if you are the get a taller bike like a crf 150 or a cr80 expert

No I'm not, unfortunaltey. I'm a 23 year old female.

I think a CRF150r could be a good choice.

Edit: the 85s are pretty reliable for what they are too, whats your budget?

That's the trouble, my budget is a max of $1200 (AUD) Which means the crf150, for example is out of my budget. I don't want to speak a heap as it's just to ride around on my parent's property

In Darwin there is not a lot of anything for sale at that price, I dunno where abouts you are but have you tried going through gumtree, just looking at cheap dirt bikes?

You might find something that will work for your intended use like that.

Yeah, everything is so bloody over priced in Aus compared to the U.S! I've found a few like the ones mentioned earlier. I'm in Geelong (just outside of Melbourne) and a 2000 RT 100 has popped up locally. Anyone know much about them? Apparently you don't mix the oil with the fuel like you normally would a 2 stroke. Is this right?

Yeah, everything is so bloody over priced in Aus compared to the U.S! I've found a few like the ones mentioned earlier. I'm in Geelong (just outside of Melbourne) and a 2000 RT 100 has popped up locally. Anyone know much about them? Apparently you don't mix the oil with the fuel like you normally would a 2 stroke. Is this right?

I know nothing about them, but have ridden a 70's DT 175 (and loved every minute, by the way), which is apparently nearly comparable technology to the RT.

As for the RT:

It has auto mix, so all you do is top up an oil tank, and the fuel. 

Assuming you know what to look for with used bikes, but they are all going to be old at that price level, so be careful. Try before you buy, apparently the RT100s are very small, and heavy for their size ( ~70 kg )

Edit: heres a pic of one like what I borrowed (which was beaten up compared to this):

yamaha-dt-175-1975.jpg

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

I know nothing about them, but have ridden a 70's DT 175 (and loved every minute, by the way), which is apparently nearly comparable technology to the RT.

As for the RT:

It has auto mix, so all you do is top up an oil tank, and the fuel. 

Assuming you know what to look for with used bikes, but they are all going to be old at that price level, so be careful. Try before you buy, apparently the RT100s are very small, and heavy for their size ( ~70 kg )

Edit: heres a pic of one like what I borrowed (which was beaten up compared to this):

yamaha-dt-175-1975.jpg

The damn thing just sold tonight. Gotta be quick around here. I do however love the look of the old Yamahas and Hondas but just worried about their age. I'll just have to keep looking. Thanks for all your help

I have had expierences with a lot of those bikes. I had a 2003 rm85 (very similar to yz85) fun but had a lot of problems and not very reliable. I've ridden a crf70 extensively it's tiny and doesn't have a clutch and it's slow, you don't want that, I had a xr100,  it was quick enough and very reliable but suspension isn't very good if you're jumping... I also had an xr200... it was an ok bike kinda heavy faster than the 100 but I think mine had some motor and suspension issues so it's probably a great bike. My friend has a crf150f if you're 5'1 that'd probably be a good bike for you cuz the 200's taller and bigger overall. So I'd say it's between the 100 and the 150. my friend rode a xr80 he said it was slow and it's too small for you too. Good luck with your purchase

• Like 1

I have had expierences with a lot of those bikes. I had a 2003 rm85 (very similar to yz85) fun but had a lot of problems and not very reliable. I've ridden a crf70 extensively it's tiny and doesn't have a clutch and it's slow, you don't want that, I had a xr100,  it was quick enough and very reliable but suspension isn't very good if you're jumping... I also had an xr200... it was an ok bike kinda heavy faster than the 100 but I think mine had some motor and suspension issues so it's probably a great bike. My friend has a crf150f if you're 5'1 that'd probably be a good bike for you cuz the 200's taller and bigger overall. So I'd say it's between the 100 and the 150. my friend rode a xr80 he said it was slow and it's too small for you too. Good luck with your purchase

Thanks heaps for all the info! I just missed out on a xr100 that was within my budget. In Australia the crf's are way out of my budget however. I'll keep searching. Something's bound to come up eventually, I hope

Still searching. There's a YZ 85 locally for $1200 AUD however I'm told it's no good for what I want it for, and for my level as I'm still only really a beginner/intermediate and I just want something to ride around my parents place.

Went to a dealer and most of the 125's seem too big for me

So I'm quite stuck at what to get

Would prefer something that's a four stroke as i hear they're more reliable and i'm not going to be racing

Still searching. There's a YZ 85 locally for $1200 AUD however I'm told it's no good for what I want it for, and for my level as I'm still only really a beginner/intermediate and I just want something to ride around my parents place.

Went to a dealer and most of the 125's seem too big for me

So I'm quite stuck at what to get

Would prefer something that's a four stroke as i hear they're more reliable and i'm not going to be racing

I suggest you go and try it? They have great suspension and are easy to manage (picking up, moving about).

People really ham things up about the two strokes, it goes as fast as you want it to. But you must be careful.

It will need regular maintenance, but when this is provided they are dead reliable. My sources: Owning a CR 85, got it in 07 and its still in the shed.

Make sure its not f***ked, and you will have something that you will get a lot of use out of.

• Like 1

I suggest you go and try it? They have great suspension and are easy to manage (picking up, moving about).

People really ham things up about the two strokes, it goes as fast as you want it to. But you must be careful.

It will need regular maintenance, but when this is provided they are dead reliable. My sources: Owning a CR 85, got it in 07 and its still in the shed.

Make sure its not f***ked, and you will have something that you will get a lot of use out of.That's

That's what I heard! I'm going to go check it out tomorrow I think. In terms of regular maintenance, what's required though? My old man is pretty good with anything mechanical

That's what I heard! I'm going to go check it out tomorrow I think. In terms of regular maintenance, what's required though? My old man is pretty good with anything mechanical

Cleaning the airfilter when it gets dirty. 

Gear oil changes

Top end rebuild when it loses compression. IF your not flogging it, it wont be that very often.

Sometimes they oil up spark plugs. I've fouled about 3 plugs in my life, and I think they were all running in.

I never had to do the clutch (not racing)

Grease linkage bearings (same as most bikes )

Thats it compared to any other bike really, they really aren't that bad.

• Like 1

Cleaning the airfilter when it gets dirty. 

Gear oil changes

Top end rebuild when it loses compression. IF your not flogging it, it wont be that very often.

Sometimes they oil up spark plugs. I've fouled about 3 plugs in my life, and I think they were all running in.

I never had to do the clutch (not racing)

Grease linkage bearings (same as most bikes )

Thats it compared to any other bike really, they really aren't that bad.

Great. It's just had it's top end rebuilt, new rear wheel bearings, breaks, rear tyre, new chain and sprockets so it shouldn't need too much for a little while.

I'll go see it tomorrow and let you know how I go