Does anyone carry a gun while riding in WA?

Washington

I'm just curious if anyone has done it, or gotten hassled about it, experiences, etc.

Not in washington but my brother does in alaska in case he wrecks and needs protection, but I have never had any issues in washigton

I actually thought about it when I first started riding deeper into the woods of Central Wa. But, just about every person I have come in contact with out there has shown a great passion for the sport I love, so I am very comfortable riding out there even alone. A couple of crazy mushroom pickers and guys with big guns have startled me a couple a times around some corners but that is all part of the adventure

That's concealed carry though. Ie "concealed" meaning they're not going to get any grief about it by anyone that doesn't know it's there. I was asking more for people carrying openly. Interesting thread to read though!

I believe I read a while back that there was some victory in the gun legal battle that allowed for carrying openly in all parks?

Edited by ripsnorter

Since we cannot ride in parks, that has no bearing.

I carry most of the time when we ride on the east side of the mountains, but always concealed. I just keep it in my pack because I don't want to take a chance at it becoming dislodged from me or the bike. Especially since I regularly become dislodged from the bike.

Since we cannot ride in parks, that has no bearing.

I'd think Gifford Pinchot National Forest, among others would qualify though, as well as any national parks. So yes, we can ride in parks. I believe most OHV parks are... well, Parks. At least as I understood the reading of the law.

So... Yeah I think I'm exactly ON bearing with the issue and question. Your reply though.. not so much.

Edited by ripsnorter

I'd think Gifford Pinchot National Forest, among others would qualify though, as well as any national parks. So yes, we can ride in parks. I believe most OHV parks are... well, Parks. At least as I understood the reading of the law.

So... Yeah I think I'm exactly ON bearing with the issue and question. Your reply though.. not so much.

Mt. St. Helens is a National Monument administered by the United States Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture. Gifford Pinchot National Forest is administered by the United States Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture. 

There are no OHV parks in Washington other than a small one NE of Spokane which is part of the Washington State Parks. 

There are three national parks in Washington state. Mount Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park, and Olympic National Park. All administered by the National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. None of these National Parks or National Monuments allow OHV recreation though you can ride snowmachines at the National Monument listed.   :blah:

Edited by shrubitup

To shoot those Canadian Border Hoppers?

get yourself some grouse for din din

It all depends on who I'm riding with :devil:

I have been doing alot of trail clearing at Walker Valley lately and have been bringing my trusty Winchester carbine along. I have a medical condition (i.e. Broken back) that makes me an easy target for any hungry forest dwellers.

So far no one has seen me carrying it so it hasn't been an issue but I imagine it could be a surprise to rail around a corner and come face to face w/ an armed Mtn. Man!

LOL....you must be new around here.

Joe

Haha... what if open carry was illegal in national forests? Hunting season would be a tad awkward. 

Also, yes I do open carry when riding. Have a couple secure holster options for my snubnosed .357. Only take it for protection from 4 legged critters. I open carry 95% of the time in the woods. Hiking in areas where there are lots of city folk attracts stares, but I never have had anybody comment. 

My Buddy rides with a 22 Ruger attached to his hip pack belt in case any grouse need to be cleared from the trail. Statistically your odds of needing a gun for self defense have to be astronomically higher than shooting yourself (or your buddies) accidentaly with your own gun......imo.

I ride with a buddy that carries his openly, he's never been questioned to my knowledge.

Other then a long gun, why open carry in the woods, as opposed to concealed carry?

Seems like open carry is an invitation to cause alarm for the alarmist types, and also an invitation to rangers and LEO's to hassle you, even if you are within your rights (let's assume everyone open carrying is doing it legally).

Is it a matter of quicker access to your firearm?

LOL....you must be new around here.

Joe

You must need to learn some internet etiquette. Perhaps you didn't intend to come off as insulting with your original post. If so, then you should learn how to phrase your posts better. 

Either that or just learn some manners.

Is there a need to be insulting to someone asking a question whom you've never met?

Other then a long gun, why open carry in the woods, as opposed to concealed carry?

Seems like open carry is an invitation to cause alarm for the alarmist types, and also an invitation to rangers and LEO's to hassle you, even if you are within your rights (let's assume everyone open carrying is doing it legally).

Is it a matter of quicker access to your firearm?

Concealed carry would be better, but not everyone wants to get a concealed permit.

Also theres the current movement of people exercising their right to carry openly. Saw someone with a glock on his hip in the grocery store the other day. He had a lot of people stopping to talk to him and support him.

Edited by ripsnorter