Sign in to follow this  

cylinder head breather hose

i was just wondering if i should install a filter on this. it doesn't feel right to have a open hose to the inside of the head without anything on it.

What bike? Are you talking about the powervalve breather hose?

I had basically the same thought.  A couple of companies make filters for this purpose.  I bought one a while back from Dennis Kirk but I'm sure they can be found at many parts outlets.

I've personally seen two bikes suck sand all they way up into the engine, so mine and all my friends bikes have the breather routed to the air box with a UNI filter on them. If I recall I think the part # is UP123.

• Like 1

the hose only pulls in (and pushes out) the displacement of the piston.

thats why if you stop in a puddle and the hose is underwater..it pulls water into the top of the head.

however, under rpm (even at idle)  the "pulse" is pretty quick.  at high rpm it is extremely quick.

do NOT kink the hose.

the hose only pulls in (and pushes out) the displacement of the piston.

thats why if you stop in a puddle and the hose is underwater..it pulls water into the top of the head.

however, under rpm (even at idle)  the "pulse" is pretty quick.  at high rpm it is extremely quick.

do NOT kink the hose.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but would it be ok to route my engine breather tube on my 08 yz250f in to my air box ?   As it just hangs down by the side of my frame atm, I ride off road & I was a bit concerned that it might suck water up in a puddle,  Thanks, Nick.

• Like 1