Sign in to follow this  

Which year heads will fit 05 YZ250F?

As per the title, which year heads will fit an 05 YZ250F? 

A mate ran his bike out of oil and killed the cam bearings  :banghead:

Also if anyone has one they would like to sell could they please PM me

Cheers 

I think 05-09 will fit but to be safe I'd go to Yamaha's website and get the head part number, then compare that to other years numbers. I'd do it for you but a phone isn't the easiest thing to navigate the internet on :lol:

The combustion chamber shape was changed in 05. The piston was changed to match the combustion chamber shape. If you use an 01-04 head then you should use the 01-04 piston to match. You can use an 05-09 head with the 05 piston without issue. 05 is a stand-alone part number because Yamaha changed the way that the intake spout mounted to the head for 06, but other than this the head is the same from 05-09. For 2010 Yamaha changed the motor mount position, so it would be difficult to mount a 2010-up head on your bike, though it will still bolt to the cylinder.

10 - 13 Will not fit. Will bolt to the engine but not the frame. Found this out the hard way on friends a bike. So if anyone needs a very low hour head for a 10-13 I know we're you can get one.

Yes, but 05-09 has better designed ports and combustion chamber, so I would stick with that personally. With the 05-09 heads you can also use an 08 OEM piston and boost your compression ratio cheap if you wanted to.

Thanks mate. I picked up an earlier head for substantially less so that will have to do. 

One last question, are the intake cams between WRF and YZF different (profile)? I seem to remember reading it was only the exhaust. 

Cheers