Sign in to follow this  

Can you use steel wool for Muffler packing?

Can you use steel wool for muffler packing ?Iv herd a couple people say DONT cause it can start a fire.  iv also herd people say that some pros use it ?

Are you a pro? Don't use it! If you want to be a cheapo, use pink house insulation. It works, and wont set shiit on fire

• Like 2

A pack of actual exhaust packing is only like $

Are you a pro? Don't use it! If you want to be a cheapo, use pink house insulation. It works, and wont set shiit on fire

nope not a pro lol .  or a cheapo .  i just ordered some REAL stuff on amazon. 

iv heard people say its better.  but after a bunch of looking around and one  youtube video, no thanks lol im not trying to burn down the woods !!

• Like 1

If it were actually better for packing, why can't you buy it at motosport, and why don't the bikes come from the factory with it?

Good point.. i guess thats why you cant go by hear say lol..  i was kinda skeptical about it.  thats why i asked ya'll. 

and now i know.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hey, I met a guy who stuffed Toilet Paper into his muffler as "the shop was closed and it will get me through the day" 

Go nuts...

• Like 1

Always fun to find a thread that just makes me laugh, and believe me, I can use a good laugh. Some say, use it and post pictures, LOL. Another said, it's only like $8 bucks, well actually I can find packing for about $5 and still have so much left over that I end up burying it in my garage only to never find it and just buy more. Yeah, I don't think this is a good idea for a lot of reason. Steel wool also rusts, so you'd have a rust tumor inside your muffler just aching to spread to the inside of your muffler. I just recently took my IT490 muffler, baffle, and pipe to a engine rebuilder who gave it all a nice hot tank, damn things came out looking brand new, but the worse part of it was that since it got down to the bare metal, I found numerous cracks that needed welding, some fresh packing and good as new. The only thing about steel pipes when their down to bare metal is they easily rust, hence........................."steel wool" :)

• Like 2

My YZ250F comes with spare muffler packing in the OEM spares kit. The packing is a drop-in replacement which is a composite wrap of (what looks like) fiberglass wool with 'steel wool' against the inner core. The OEM packing lasts much longer than the $8 replacement packing (all fiberglass) and I've never seen it catch on fire.

In 2002, I raced a YZ426 with a silencer packed with stainless wire 'wool'. I wasn't involved with the design/build/test of this exhaust, but I know it was built by some smart folks from road racing. Obviously, road racers don't typically contend with setting woods on fire, but they do deal with high-heat and high flow which often literally blows conventional packing right out the back of the the exhaust.

• Like 1

we use it in several machines since years and haven´t had any problems like those mentioned above

• Like 1

My Gas Gas trials bike middle muffler comes from the factory packed with stainless steel wool. It is coarse like stainless steel pot scrubbers.

• Like 1

I recall a buddy's dad doing this to his CR80 when I was a kid. I don't recall it catching on fire. Regardless, there is a reason that a toolbox has more than a hammer. Use the right tool for the job and steel wool isn't it when it comes to exhaust packing.

• Like 1