Can you put a 2008 crf450r head straight onto a 2013- 2014 450x to give it a r feel.

• 3 weeks later...

so if a hotcams cam or and R cam like an 02 was dropped in a '12x is there anything you'd have to adjust?

or just drop in and ride away with more power?

You would want to do this in conjunction with opening the airbox, rejetting the carb and installing a more free flowing exhaust.

HotCams tend to sign off early IMHO.

The 02 R is an excellent choice, however you'll need to source the early decompressor set up to run it in a 12.

The 08 R is the best choice for a direct drop in cam.

I had to improve my exhaust and use a larger (170) main when I put in my first cam ('05R, no head work).

Without the pipe change, it was peaky....

I've ridden, pre-run and raced on an '05 AS Racing "X" head w/ R-Cam and "guess what"? It was Smoking Fast thru the Santa Rita whoops. Now, I wish we'd run a 2-ring-piston on that motor; 'cause, it knew how to use oil...but...we've figured that out, too. I'm of the opinion that it makes the BEST combo of Scream-n-Thump that's available.

But, hey, that's just me.

I've ridden, pre-run and raced on an '05 AS Racing "X" head w/ R-Cam and "guess what"? It was Smoking Fast thru the Santa Rita whoops. Now, I wish we'd run a 2-ring-piston on that motor; 'cause, it knew how to use oil...but...we've figured that out, too. I'm of the opinion that it makes the BEST combo of Scream-n-Thump that's available.

Oh, you don't have to tell me.

I took out the '05R cam at pauls suggestion,  and went with '02 cam and stage one porting. HUGE difference.

The next time I needed a piston, I did the stage 3. Holy Crap-a-tola, Batman. It's a handful on trails, and soooo easy-peesey-powery in the desert.

What is your current set up?

purely stock as far as engine performance wise, but will have a full yoshi exhaust and that 08 cam soon, will do a top end rebuild at the same time but with stock compression..... and i don't live above the clouds

Edited by nks

Yeah...that was the "Cosworth" Incident...That piston made power, but boy did it drink oil.

We alerted the powers that be to this fact, but they assured Mark that it would be OK for the Baja...

The JE 2 ring that we run now makes virtually the same power, but sips oil like it's 100 year old Single Malt... ?

purely stock as far as engine performance wise, but will have a full yoshi exhaust and that 08 cam soon, will do a top end rebuild at the same time but with stock compression..... and i don't live above the clouds

I would run the NCVS needle on the 4th clip.

A 170 main.

A 45 pilot (maybe 48 in extreme cold)

A 50 leak jet.

Fuel screw out to 1 3/4 - 2 turns.

That should be pretty snappy.

Yeah...that was the "Cosworth" Incident...That piston made power, but boy did it drink oil.

We alerted the powers that be to this fact, but they assured Mark that it would be OK for the Baja...

The JE 2 ring that we run now makes virtually the same power, but sips oil like it's 100 year old Single Malt... ?

Same Race; but, I was talking about my "Pre-Runner" which is the famous "17X". Twin 8's and all...middle of the nite runs to LaPaz with PAB worrying about me...Getting Electrocuted by the Kill-Button...Good Times...REALLY Good Times! I believe the piston was a stocker w/PLENTY of hours on it...and...the head was an AS Racing head that was '05 X w/ an R -Cam of Paul's Spec and set-up 7 stacked like an R at 12.5:1...I think? It Ripped! But, and I say this due to the time on the motor...previous to all of this...it drank some oil.

I could "choose" to burn a bunch of oil & gas getting into La Paz...or not! 2.7 gallons thru the Santa Rita Whoops section would burn a ton of oil: 1.7-1.9 Gallons of fuel thru the same section? Std Oil burn (minimal). That motor is still with us, to this day, and is going BACK into the 17X post "The 1st Annual Hell-n-Back Run" on Dec 26th. New Trans and All. You don't mess with Good Mojo!

Btw, Paul? Thanks!

• Like 1