Sign in to follow this  

Kold Kutter screws for winter riding - are the 1/2" length shafts long enough?

I figure i'll get a quicker response here than the general forum.

Looking to get these to prolong the riding season, and i can get either the 1/2" or 5/8". I measured the knobs, and it looks like the 1/2" will work well...

Is there anyone out there that runs these? Here is the product link on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/130790013912?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D130790013912%26_rdc%3D1

I've ran 1/2" up front and 5/8" in the rear tire. Spit them out on the back though.

So long ago I can't recall! I'm guessing Kenda Trekmaster rear, as I used to run a lot of those on my 125.

I just pulled my studded tires for my 250 out of the shed last night. Used cheapo sheet metal screws, 5/8" in the rear Maxis Desert IT sure didn't hold, and that was 1 ride in deep sloppy snow.

Trelleborg tires are super expensive, but in the long run are totally worth it. I typically get 6/8/10 years out of each set, so broken down per year, the price isn't so bad.

OK, I just have to find a dealer that'll take $70 a year :-)

1/2" are great in front tires , in the rear I always used 3/4"

with the 3/4 occasionally they would barely prick through to the inside of the tire but with an extra HD tube there will be no problem

mount the tire and fill it up before putting the screws in , them baby's are sharp

They are better for ice than trails. They get destroyed quick on anything but ice.

Gripstuds or carbide studs are the best for trail riding.

http://www.gripstuds.com/

Anytime my ice racing tires left the ice(MF44's or MF1's) they had wraps on.

I figure i'll get a quicker response here than the general forum.

Looking to get these to prolong the riding season, and i can get either the 1/2" or 5/8". I measured the knobs, and it looks like the 1/2" will work well...

Is there anyone out there that runs these? Here is the product link on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/130790013912?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D130790013912%26_rdc%3D1

are you looking to ride straight ice or snow covered trails with occasional rocks and bare ground ? If you are on straight ice then the screws are the way to go.

If you are riding on the snowy, frozen trails of PA/NY those screws will all pull out within the first ride. Visit kevinscycle website and have a look at the studs he offers. He has alot of good info on the various types , everything i've read there has been spot on . I'm sure other places sell the stud tires also. They are about $450 for a set  but they last several seasons.

XCW-inSnow_zps92724f78.jpg20121125_170528_zps4d418357.jpg

Here in Va we are cheap.We use a hard compound tire with sheet metal screws.Works for us as often as we snow ride.2-4 times a season normally.They do get thrown out of the rear but it's inexpensive fun for as often as we do it and easy enough to replace when need be.

Hey. Save your money and get Trelleborgs, especially for the rear. I've tried the screws, they work in the front tire for awhile but in the rear I wasted one tire and screws in a days riding. As Maniac said above, you can get several years out of the rear tire ( Trelleborg) unless you really moto it everywhere and you can waste a tire in a season. Just my thoughts from my use of the tires. Bought my first set back in 1985. These tires hook up so good you wish you could ride them year round.

And by the way. I used to ride every weekend in the winter unless the bike wouldn't go thru the snow. They hold up very well. Good investment if you want to extend your riding season.

We have a Winter Series here in NY, and almost everyone uses Trelleborg's. The traction & longjevity(?) they provide is incredible! Highly recommended. One of the pictures posted in this thread shows at least two Trelleborg tires in it. I can tell by the white stripe in the tread area of the tire.

Hey. Save your money and get Trelleborgs, especially for the rear. I've tried the screws, they work in the front tire for awhile but in the rear I wasted one tire and screws in a days riding. As Maniac said above, you can get several years out of the rear tire ( Trelleborg) unless you really moto it everywhere and you can waste a tire in a season. Just my thoughts from my use of the tires. Bought my first set back in 1985. These tires hook up so good you wish you could ride them year round.

The secret to longevity is knowing what type of tire to use and the placements of the studs. You can't half ass it. You need to glue them in as well. It's all about angle, depth and placement. Washougal Sticky's are a great tire and compound for winter studding, especially the 90/90/21 front.

The secret to longevity is knowing what type of tire to use and the placements of the studs. You can't half ass it. You need to glue them in as well. It's all about angle, depth and placement. Washougal Sticky's are a great tire and compound for winter studding, especially the 90/90/21 front.

What's up CK ...are you running screws on all snow and ice , or do you run them also on some mixed snow and bare frozen ground with some exposed rocks ?

Everyone I know that's tried screws on anything but straight ice and unexposed ground without rocks had them all pull out in one ride. Down here in PA we get snow cover, frozen ground and exposed bare frozen ground with rocks here and there. 

What's up CK ...are you running screws on all snow and ice , or do you run them also on some mixed snow and bare frozen ground with some exposed rocks ?

Everyone I know that's tried screws on anything but straight ice and unexposed ground without rocks had them all pull out in one ride. Down here in PA we get snow cover, frozen ground and exposed bare frozen ground with rocks here and there. 

Screws I only run on straight up ice. Covers are on from the ice to my truck. Gripstuds work great on everything from snow, dirt, a little rock and straight ice. Keeping in mind I would not try ice racing with the studs but they will grip great for crossing frozen water. Your winters are not much different than mine, carbide studs are the ticket for all conditions and surfaces. Awesome for frosty and frozen soil as well.

• Like 1

Yeah I tried circle track ice with the Trelle's .....NOPE ...no go...haha

Yeah grab fine for crossing ice areas but the screws do work much better for straight up ice , frozen lakes.

It's always funny watching the guys running home built ice tires versus the Pro Tires as we call them like the Marcel Fourniers...

The home built guys are all over the place.

Every year we get better at building studded tires. We have a local rider who builds them, he seems to have the formula down. He was the Super Vet Canadian Enduro Champ, he's been at it a while.

• Like 1

It's always funny watching the guys running home built ice tires versus the Pro Tires...

The home built guys are all over the place.

The unfortunate thing is they put sheet metal screws in a tire , they fall out, now they dont have fun and another potential winter riding buddy is lost and I

am stuck snow riding with more quad tards ... lol