Sign in to follow this  

Setting up an 06' 300 XC-W for a cold, dark winter

I want to trail ride my 300 over winter (provided the snow isn't too deep). 

I'll be needing

(1) Studded tires

(2) Heated grips (they need to work in temps 45f to around 20f)

(3) Serious LED lights for trail riding at night. Guess I'll need them for both the helmet and bike?

(4) Bigger stator for lights and grips?  I also want to run a GPS...

I've got the riding gear covered, but I'd love recommendations for the equipment listed above.  I don't mind paying a bit extra for good quality stuff.

Edited by Colorado^

Im also interested in winter set up, ive got gripheaters and an led light for the bike and one for my helmet coming, just got to figure out the best way to hook it all up. I saw a video on youtube of a guy who studded his tires using masonry screws and 1/4-20 nuts, looked like it worked well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMxmVM2FFI

Edited by islandlife

What helmet light did you get?

I've heard that screws work well for ice racing, but will not last long on the trail.

I just got a pair of fairly cheap ebay bike lights, look very similar to the magicshine units. I actually ordered them when i had my kx, which cant really support a lighting coil. These ones run off a li-ion battery pack, but i would like to hardwire one into the bike and figure out a good mount for it. The other i was going to epoxy to a go pro helmet mount. Paid 80 for a pair of them shipped, somif they dont work out its no biggie.

I live in Gillette, Wy and I use Trelleborg studded tires, they work great unless the snow gets really deep and crusty, up to about a 1ft to 1 1/2ft, they are like riding in dirt. The main thing I have found is keep the wind off your hands, I have made all kinds of cheap guards, everything from antifreeze jugs to coffee cans, because I ride in tight woods and it tears the crap out of them. I use the Trail Tech light X2 model with the 100watt coil ( I ride a 2012 KTM 300XCW ) with the LED helmet lights, it's like riding in day light. The coldest temp I have ridden in was 14 degrees and that was to cold for me, yes I'm getting to be a sissy at 55, I like to ride at around 30 degrees. Enjoy your ride, I know I do!

Dang! I just watch the weather and head over to Green River or Grand Junction and ride on the dirt in the daylight. I must REALLY be a whimp. Usually the weather allows for quite a few opportunities to ride over there. New Mexico (Buckman, Southern, or Alcalde) are also winter options.

CoKTM

I'm new to snow riding but would like to try, maybe even follow some snow mobiles down the frozen creek if I can manage the traction. Still working on studs...trying to find a good hardware store alternative to the 200.00/set stuff I've seen so far.

Now if I could just find some ski blades to replace the front wheel.  

I want to trail ride my 300 over winter (provided the snow isn't too deep). 

I'll be needing

(1) Studded tires

(2) Heated grips (they need to work in temps 45f to around 20f)

(3) Serious LED lights for trail riding at night. Guess I'll need them for both the helmet and bike?

(4) Bigger stator for lights and grips?  I also want to run a GPS...

I've got the riding gear covered, but I'd love recommendations for the equipment listed above.  I don't mind paying a bit extra for good quality stuff.

I have the "13 300 XC and I do the same. I have the Trail Tech stator, the one that puts out 100 watts at idle. I run Moose grip heaters. I have the switch epoxy'd to the back of the number plate. I run stud tires from Kevins Cycle in massachusets. I also have a set of trelleborgs if the snow gets real deep. I have a post on here where I list alot of the stuff i've found works well for snow riding. I'll try to find that post.

found it:  What works for me is Grip heaters and PowerMadd gauntlets that go on the bars and grips. They are the square kind that have a fairly large hole that your hand goes in. If you wreck, you fall out of them pretty easy. I found one pair of gloves that was a happy medium between warmth and not being too bulky. They were an off brand, Arctic Gear which I can no longer find, thick gloves make riding difficult. I wear thin underarmor and I wear a Walls Bib from walmart. It has zippers up the side making it easy to get in and out of plus it's big so while keeping me warm, I dont get too hot. I wear a xxl heavy thinsulate shirt over everything and a wind breaking vest over that. I like the vest because if I start to get too hot, I can unzip the vest and regulate It's always a fine balance between staying warn and getting too hot. For socks i've found that thin Rocky thinsulate socks work pretty well and Merino wool socks work well too.  You might be able to see the Powermadd Gauntlets in this pic.  Im up here in NePA ... cant wait for snow...Hope it's better than last year.

Here's the gauntlets https://www.denniskirk.com/617843.sku?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse

btw, dont try screws, they are only good on straight ice , they will all come out in one trail ride.

XCW-inSnow_zps92724f78.jpg20130101_164333_zps825b1635.jpg20121125_170528_zps4d418357.jpg

Thanks guys I will check out your suggestions.

One questions about studded tires that are suitable for bare frozen ground...  can you ride them on dry non frozen ground at lower elevation.  I'm thinking Moab, but I don't want to destroy the trails and/or my tires.

Thanks guys I will check out your suggestions.

One questions about studded tires that are suitable for bare frozen ground...  can you ride them on dry non frozen ground at lower elevation.  I'm thinking Moab, but I don't want to destroy the trails and/or my tires.

Go on the kevinscycle website , he tells you everything you wana know . What studs for diff terrain ... He covers it all . 

A spare wheel set is a good thing if you ride snow. Here in PA the snow and ground often melts , I have a set of knobbies ready. You can ride between snow and bare trails , he sells frozen ground/rocky trail studs. I'm sure other places sell the same ones , sometimes called intermediate studs. If you have to cross pavement, go very gently or ride the shoulder...studs dont like too much pavement. Good luck man !

Dang! I just watch the weather and head over to Green River or Grand Junction and ride on the dirt in the daylight. I must REALLY be a whimp. Usually the weather allows for quite a few opportunities to ride over there. New Mexico (Buckman, Southern, or Alcalde) are also winter options.

CoKTM

Fore sure!  A few road trips to the desert are in order and I'm only an hour away from Buena Vista.

But... home is at 10,000ft and I have tons of trails I can ride from my door.  But come October, I start hitting ice and snow on the north facing trails.  My property faces south so I think I can ride it year round, unless we have a big snow year.  But I still have to clear a trail...

Winter here is a good 6 months of the year, so with the right tires I'm hoping I can ride at least 8 months or more.

Here's a pic from a three weeks ago.  Glare ice up this trail is pretty sketchy without studs.  I was lucky to make it home by smashing the ice.  On my side of the pass (south) the trails are still mostly dry with patches of ice and snow.

s2.JPGs1.JPG

Go on the kevinscycle website , he tells you everything you wana know . What studs for diff terrain ... He covers it all . 

A spare wheel set is a good thing if you ride snow. Here in PA the snow and ground often melts , I have a set of knobbies ready. You can ride between snow and bare trails , he sells frozen ground/rocky trail studs. I'm sure other places sell the same ones , sometimes called intermediate studs. If you have to cross pavement, go very gently or ride the shoulder...studs dont like too much pavement. Good luck man !

Thanks I will check it out.  I was also thinking another wheel set is in my future.

BTW thanks for posting those pics and for the suggestions for keeping warm.  You have a nice collection of rubber there!

Jetting for different temps and elevation has me a little concerned.  I just started riding last year and have yet to touch the carb.

But it looks like an ATP smart carb could save the day.  If it can handle wide swings in temp and elevation it will be worth it's weight in gold for us mountain dwellers.

So I spoke to Steve at APT and he said their carb is good from sea level to the top of pikes peak.  I'm sold and pre-ordered one for end of November. 

Maybe it's not such a big deal if you already know how to jet a carb, but for me I'd prefer to have nothing to do with jetting, especially since the elevation and temps can vary dramatically from one ride to another in Colorado.  One day it's Moab/GJ at 5Kft and temps in the 80-100's.  Next day I'm back home riding up to 12,000ft with temps in the 50's.

no it's supposed to be the real deal . I believe it adjusts automatically too. Spot on jetting makes a huge difference, and to be spot on all the time huge.

Hopefully they come down in price soon.

Hopefully they come down in price soon.

The price for a cast one isn't too bad.  But then again I only need one, but I see from your sig you have quite a quiver!

Dang In  Ontario the public trails are closed from Dec to April ,I wonder who made up that nutty rule.................

I know some of the trails are closed to wheeled vehicles from Nov to May (IIRC).  But there's plenty of good riding in Oct & Nov with the right tires.  When I build the trails on my property I will keep them open year round.   :p

IIRC all the 4x4 roads near me are open year round, but with no winter maintenance.  

I haven't been this excited about winter in a long time.