Usability of a kickstart?!?

Kit includes everything except new oil. If you haven't read this http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/136763#!i=4997029&k=CgVqznJ

You may want to look it over. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

Found that the other night! looks like its gonna be really helpful. especially since the actual instructions are supposed to be well... not so good.

Isn't like an unspoken rule though that any and all instructions included in a kit are supposed to be infuriating??  :banghead:

hahaha

I have a question... If you had an "E" head and installed just the manual decomp parts, how easy would it be to bump start?

Assuming the auto decomp is removed... Find TDC Manual decomp engaged. Try to bump, engine rotates, manual decomp becomes dis-engaged. Next compression stroke the decomp is "off", Wheel either locks up or engine turns over.

Slight advantage over no decomp at all. no advantage over the auto decomp.

Assuming the auto decomp is removed... Find TDC Manual decomp engaged. Try to bump, engine rotates, manual decomp becomes dis-engaged. Next compression stroke the decomp is "off", Wheel either locks up or engine turns over.

Slight advantage over no decomp at all. no advantage over the auto decomp.

I've found with no decomp you need to be in 4th or 5th to have enough leverage to turn the motor over compared to 2nd or 3rd with it. It's a bit tricky at first but completely doable. Just my experience.

Could this be installed by laying the bike over? To save draining fluids, like the rekluse kit install

And is there a gasket on the side cover or is it an oring? Last bike i did this to took the most time scraping gasket material off

Yep, did mine laying over on a spare tire.  There is a gasket, I didn't remember having to scrape it off though, think it pulled off pretty easy.  I'm pretty sure the kit came with a new side cover gasket.

Instructions with the kit suck.   Lots of video's online that helped.  I laid mine on the side the second time I had it apart and other than a little gas out the vent,  no spills.    I use mine occasionally.   I like having the back up.   I can start mine cold with the first 1-2 kicks,  first when it's warm.   I've only had to use it once,  and it saved me some pushing.     Batteries are expensive on little islands and take a long time to come in.

Kit comes with a gasket.  The old one should come right off.    Make sure you get any goo that might be left on the case off though.   A few min of scraping could save you another tear down and gasket replacement.

Edited by whyfly

Could this be installed by laying the bike over? To save draining fluids, like the rekluse kit install

And is there a gasket on the side cover or is it an oring? Last bike i did this to took the most time scraping gasket material off

Thas how we did it when my wife and I installed the kicker on her bike. We are prepeing 2 bikes for a trip down South America and she wanted to do all of the work herself (after I cracked the bolts loose). Very simple install.

Darrin

Thanks, i was hoping that was the answer

Thas how we did it when my wife and I installed the kicker on her bike. We are prepeing 2 bikes for a trip down South America and she wanted to do all of the work herself (after I cracked the bolts loose). Very simple install.

Darrin