2013 450SXF Electric Starter issue after reassembling bike...

I did hit the search button but, cannot find any situations like I am experiencing so, I would appreciate anybodies educated or experienced input into this.

I have a 2013 non Dungey but Fuel Injected of course, 450SXF with a little more than 20 hours on it.  Electric starter worked great.  I took the bike completely down to the frame and had it powder coated orange.  Since putting it all back together when I hit the start button for the very first time, I get a single "click" and very quick one at that, a millisecond then NOTHING.  Its as if it sent a signal to the starter and nothing happened.  Oddly, it will not "click" again when hitting the start button until it sits for about 10 minutes almost like it needs to build up the juice for this "click".

Battery is good and fully charged.  None of my fuses are blown.  Everything appears to be properly conntected and ground.  Any ideas what would allow this signal to go from the start button but result in nothing?  Again, everything worked fine prior to dissassembling and its all less than a year old with not too much use either.

I did hit the search button but, cannot find any situations like I am experiencing so, I would appreciate anybodies educated or experienced input into this.

I have a 2013 non Dungey but Fuel Injected of course, 450SXF with a little more than 20 hours on it.  Electric starter worked great.  I took the bike completely down to the frame and had it powder coated orange.  Since putting it all back together when I hit the start button for the very first time, I get a single "click" and very quick one at that, a millisecond then NOTHING.  Its as if it sent a signal to the starter and nothing happened.  Oddly, it will not "click" again when hitting the start button until it sits for about 10 minutes almost like it needs to build up the juice for this "click".

Battery is good and fully charged.  None of my fuses are blown.  Everything appears to be properly conntected and ground.  Any ideas what would allow this signal to go from the start button but result in nothing?  Again, everything worked fine prior to dissassembling and its all less than a year old with not too much use either.

sounds like a ground issue

• Like 1

Thanks DEGBTI, I will snoop around that tonight.  I feel very comfortable that the battery has a good ground, does the starter motor have a separate ground too?  Sorry if this is a "silly question", electrical is not my strong point.

i think the 450 have the same buld up as the 350 , the negativ bat cable is connected to the subframe and not more , so the current have to go through the subframe and trough the frame to get to the engine (starter motor ).firts remove al the coating on the point where the subrame hits the frame and second remove the coating where the frame hits the engine .

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  Good points as I did have all the fastener / threaded holes plugged before coating BUT, there is definitely a lot of "orange" that has found its way onto the faces of these areas; especially where the subframe attaches to the mainframe just above the top shock mount and where the coil meets the frame as MXBOY2661 mentioned.  Thanks guys, I will work on these areas this evening.

boris its definitely a ground. mine did the same thing when I powder coated my 13 450. check where the coil mounts to the frame. those to bolt holes they have to be bare metal

i think the 450 have the same buld up as the 350 , the negativ bat cable is connected to the subframe and not more , so the current have to go through the subframe and trough the frame to get to the engine (starter motor ).firts remove al the coating on the point where the subrame hits the frame and second remove the coating where the frame hits the engine .

You guys were spot on!  Too much powder coating where the subframe attaches to the main frame.  I cleaned those areas back up to bare aluminum and steel and the bike roared to life.  Thanks so much for your input, very  very helpful and saved me a lot of time and money!

glad you got it fixed, but as explained by speedboot the ground circuit goes through subframe and main frame to engine. the ground point at coil mount is strictly for the ignition system and kill switch.