MB1 suspension: knowledgable or not so much?

Sent an email to MB1 this morning about getting the correct springs for my weight, (2011 kx250f) as well as several other companies to try and get an idea of where to start on getting it setup for my weight with my stock valving (for now). Not sure how much I can trust the racetech calculator (did send them a direct email with some questions though). I was emailed back by Mike Battista from MB1 (owner?) and he suggested 5.4 for rear spring and .46 for front spring. In my first email I specifically noted my weight, ability, what riding I do, and make and model of my bike. When I responded I specifically stated I had the sff fork and the .46 couldn't be correct. He told me it didn't matter that the forks only had one spring, that's what I needed, and made me feel like I was an idiot for thinking otherwise. Emails were very unprofessional and he "lol"'ed at my lack of knowledge about MY suspension. The last email I sent him was asking where a spring that light for my fork could be found, since I believe .80 is the lightest made? I am by no means a suspension expert, but I understand the basic idea behind how everything works, and I understand somewhat how spring rates work. The 5.4 he recommended for the rear is nowhere close as stock is 5.2 and I can't get a decent sag number from it. Racetech's calculator called for a 4.8 I believe. (I'm 160-165 geared up). Is he just having an off day, or did he just feed me a bunch of bull for no reason? I have no faith in dealing with someone who has no will to help, or lack of knowledge. Is this standard practice for him? I have read some good reviews on here about him, and I was surprised to be treated this way by a reputable company.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for spring rates that will get me closer into the ballpark of where I need to be for an intermediate mx rider weighing in about 160 on a 2011 kx250f feel free to post it up lol.

lol! I called them once cause I was interested in getting work done by them, but the kid I talked to on the phone sounded like he was so stoned, I said to myself, this doesn't sound like a good idea. lol!

I wasn't satisifed with the revalve I had from them in '05. I got the cold shoulder when I tried to call and ask questions. I went elsewhere after and never looked back.

I have the same bike and 165lbs and use a 5.4kg rear and .46fork spgs also..  the sff doesn't require 2 fork springs... that's why they call it single function fork... maybe check your weight again and did you tell them you were pro or novice. each company will recommend diff rates and each spg is diff depending on the manufacturer they are using, so their 5.4s might be diff from race techs 5.4 or even stk 5.4s... the 2014s comes with 5.4kg rear and .46fork spgs and they make those bikes targeted around guys our weight...   All the big suspension companies are good and maybe your just smarter than all of them.. My friends have used them many times in the past and had awesome results.. maybe you took it the wrong way....  why not just call? look at their track record compared to yours....  don't bash the people that help our sport..

Someone works for MB1 ^^^^

I have the same bike and 165lbs and use a 5.4kg rear and .46fork spgs also..  the sff doesn't require 2 fork springs... that's why they call it single function fork... maybe check your weight again and did you tell them you were pro or novice. each company will recommend diff rates and each spg is diff depending on the manufacturer they are using, so their 5.4s might be diff from race techs 5.4 or even stk 5.4s... the 2014s comes with 5.4kg rear and .46fork spgs and they make those bikes targeted around guys our weight...   All the big suspension companies are good and maybe your just smarter than all of them.. My friends have used them many times in the past and had awesome results.. maybe you took it the wrong way....  why not just call? look at their track record compared to yours....  don't bash the people that help our sport..

I didn't read the OP bashing them, maybe called them out on their lack of professionalism and the way they handle a customer with questions..... "lol" is not a professional response at all. If my secretary sent emails like that to my clients, she would be sent packing!

To the OP, 5.4kg and .46s seems in the ball park. What is your sag set at and free-sag? Have you checked to make sure your linkage bearings are in good working shape and there is no binding? How about a service, when was the last time in approx. hrs?

To the OP, 5.4kg and .46s seems in the ball park. What is your sag set at and free-sag? Have you checked to make sure your linkage bearings are in good working shape and there is no binding? How about a service, when was the last time in approx. hrs?

Would .46 not be to light seeing as how there is only one spring in the sff? Every other company I've talked to has recommended between .87-.89. I can't get any sag numbers from the forks, way to stiff. I have the preload 2 clicks In and compression and rebound backed out as far as I can without bottoming on the bigger stuff. Sag is 103mm race 30 static on the shock. The bike handles decently, the forks beat me to death though.

Also, linkage bearings are good, and suspension has 20 hours on it. I waited until It was time for servicing to change springs while it was apart.

I have the same bike and 165lbs and use a 5.4kg rear and .46fork spgs also.. the sff doesn't require 2 fork springs... that's why they call it single function fork... maybe check your weight again and did you tell them you were pro or novice. each company will recommend diff rates and each spg is diff depending on the manufacturer they are using, so their 5.4s might be diff from race techs 5.4 or even stk 5.4s... the 2014s comes with 5.4kg rear and .46fork spgs and they make those bikes targeted around guys our weight... All the big suspension companies are good and maybe your just smarter than all of them.. My friends have used them many times in the past and had awesome results.. maybe you took it the wrong way.... why not just call? look at their track record compared to yours.... don't bash the people that help our sport..

I wasn't bashing anyone, just sharing my experience. I can't bring myself to hand over my money to someone I don't completely have faith in for what they do, and the reason I had no faith in him is because he told me the exact opposite of what 5+ other companies told me. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go with the majority on that.

(Stock fork spring rate for '14 kx250f is .96 btw)

I wasn't bashing anyone, just sharing my experience. I can't bring myself to hand over my money to someone I don't completely have faith in for what they do, and the reason I had no faith in him is because he told me the exact opposite of what 5+ other companies told me. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go with the majority on that.

(Stock fork spring rate for '14 kx250f is .96 btw)

The more homework you do the better. Good communication is as valuable as any other part of the equation, maybe moreso. Before you do anything call Full Travel Innovations(FTI) in North Carolina. Speak to Cal who is the owner. Speak to Cal who is the owner. Have a good talk with him about what you are dealing with and how he can help. He is close to you so shipping will be quick and the terrain is basically the same. Speak to Cal who is the owner. I think you will be very happy you did. Just be sure you speak to Cal who is the owner!!! 

The more homework you do the better. Good communication is as valuable as any other part of the equation, maybe moreso. Before you do anything call Full Travel Innovations(FTI) in North Carolina. Speak to Cal who is the owner. Speak to Cal who is the owner. Have a good talk with him about what you are dealing with and how he can help. He is close to you so shipping will be quick and the terrain is basically the same. Speak to Cal who is the owner. I think you will be very happy you did. Just be sure you speak to Cal who is the owner!!!

Just looked up their website. Prices are the best I've seen. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Them being close is a big +.

Just looked up their website. Prices are the best I've seen. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Them being close is a big +.

Good luck.

Would .46 not be to light seeing as how there is only one spring in the sff? Every other company I've talked to has recommended between .87-.89. I can't get any sag numbers from the forks, way to stiff. I have the preload 2 clicks In and compression and rebound backed out as far as I can without bottoming on the bigger stuff. Sag is 103mm race 30 static on the shock. The bike handles decently, the forks beat me to death though.

Shock spring sound correct with the sag numbers......

As for forks, they are not so stiff that they don't sag under their own weight, put the bike on a stand, tie a ZipTy on and take bike off stand......Also, with all you clickers backed out the suspension could be resting on the firmest part if the stroke....Are the stiff or are they harsh now?

As for the front spring rates, I don't know the SSF rates work (maybe the spring rate doubles?) In that case maybe .88s are the same as ,44s?

Shock spring sound correct with the sag numbers......

As for forks, they are not so stiff that they don't sag under their own weight, put the bike on a stand, tie a ZipTy on and take bike off stand......Also, with all you clickers backed out the suspension could be resting on the firmest part if the stroke....Are the stiff or are they harsh now?

As for the front spring rates, I don't know the SSF rates work (maybe the spring rate doubles?) In that case maybe .88s are the same as ,44s?

I was able to play with the clickers and hsc and get the shock working well last weekend, as for the forks, they're stiff. The main place it kills me is breaking bumps/rough sections. It feels like the forks have been replaced with a solid piece of bar stock when I get into those sections. Landings of smaller jumps are rough also if I don't land exactly perfect. I've had someone watch and I know they aren't blowing through the stroke, they're staying high and not soaking much up.

Someone works for MB1 ^^^^

. sounds like mb1 has a mancrush on him from that harp performance guy.(more like stalker) weirdo.. i have seen several posts from harp that goes after people and that hes always right. im a girl and i even know on my sff fork that .88kg fork spg are = to.44kg fork spgs so mb1 is correct along with others on this subject. lets hear some more Harp.

. sounds like mb1 has a mancrush on him from that harp performance guy.(more like stalker) weirdo.. i have seen several posts from harp that goes after people and that hes always right. im a girl and i even know on my sff fork that .88kg fork spg are = to.44kg fork spgs so mb1 is correct along with others on this subject. lets hear some more Harp.

2 .44 springs may be equal to 1 .88, but what was suggested for me by mb1 is .46, the fork only has one spring, and every other company measures and gives the rate of the actual spring, not half of what it really is.

.46x2=.92. That's stock on my bike and way too stiff. Maybe if he was planning on doing valving also that would work, but I specifically stated I wanted to try my stock valving with different springs first.

Many of harrperf posts I have read are helpful to others on the site?

That is the jist of this site, learning and upon gaining an understanding helping others with "accurate" information.

Your posts do neither and in fact hurt MB1's credibility.

.46 spring on an SFF fork makes no sense. Maybe he thought it was a KX450F.

I'd like to see an sff bike with .46 spring in it.

Would be amusing :)