Sign in to follow this  

single throttle cable questions.

gunna make a long story short here...

throttle cable broke friday night while riding home. i bought a stock oem throttle cable from the stealership. it has the 2 throttle cables. my current set up is only a single throttle cable to a slant body FCR (previous owner set it up this way). 

my question is: how is the single throttle cable configuration different from the stock 2 throttle cable set up? can i just use one of the throttle cables? do i need to return this OEM cable and get a different one? any insight here would be great!

OEM cables have a push/pull style setup, this is used as a safety measure if your throttle stuck open the other cable is there to push the carb closed. I removed my push cable a long time ago, and kept it as a spare in case my cable decided to break. You can run your cables either way.

OEM cables have a push/pull style setup, this is used as a safety measure if your throttle stuck open the other cable is there to push the carb closed. I removed my push cable a long time ago, and kept it as a spare in case my cable decided to break. You can run your cables either way.

Did the same, removed the push cable… I couldn't get the throttle to snap back as crisply as I wanted with my stock cables and FCR carb.  So I removed the push cable and the throttle "action" is great.

1st: They are both Pull cables.... think about it........

I guess that depends on how you look at it.  If you look strictly at the throttle (handlebar), when you twist it open, one cable gets "pulled" and the other gets "pushed".  The only time the “push” cable might be pulled is when you close the throttle.  That really only comes into effect if and when the slide/butterfly gets stuck and/or the throttle return spring breaks.   Anyway, that’s how I look at it and generally seems to be the naming convention. :ride:

• Like 1

I guess that depends on how you look at it.  If you look strictly at the throttle (handlebar), when you twist it open, one cable gets "pulled" and the other gets "pushed".  The only time the “push” cable might be pulled is when you close the throttle.  That really only comes into effect if and when the slide/butterfly gets stuck and/or the throttle return spring breaks.   Anyway, that’s how I look at it and generally seems to be the naming convention. :ride:

agreed, 

I look at it from a design standpoint, and why the second cable came to be.. it's there to close the slide or butterfly..A design feature some corporate lawyer required. ... And when it is doing as designed, closing the slide or butterfly, it is pulling the slide closed, not pushing.. 

In normal operation,,, one cable is going just along for the ride (these are not twisted wire rope designed as a push pull control cable)

Just the way it makes sense to me  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

so the spring on the carb is supposed to close the butterfly and the second cable is just a backup for if the spring does not close the butterfly? which makes it more obvious to realize why you only need one cable....