What do you guys do when you're hurt?

Well i just tore my ACL completely out of my femur so it looks like i have about 8 months until i can ride again.... Or anything fun really, but what im wondering is how you guys pass the time with an injury? I mean just thinking about it is depressing as hell since all I've been doing for the past 8 months straight is riding, how do you guys not go crazy? So how do you guys entertain yourselves? because i definitely need ideas haha

U are destined  to become a thumpertalk post whore

LOL  heal quick  I know that hurts like hell

Used to make chain maille, might sound like something you do at a Renaissance Faire, but its a great time killer. You can make some pretty cool stuff.

I had ACL surgury in 2010.I entertained myself with physical therapy. :rolleyes:

Let my wife nurse my wounds and take care of me!!!! LOL

PS, she loves scars!

If you're able on some days, work on your bike. Have it so freaking factory fresh ready so when you heal, all is brand new. You're likely going to have to take it easy even after you heal, so might as well tear the down bike to the frame, and put it all back together fresh. Did this with three (3) bikes now, and I'm on number four (4) with two more (a CR500 and a KX125) waiting for my attention. Watch you tube videos of riders with Go-Pro's, I find that really relaxing, and of course there is always here, Thumper Talk to find some really cool friends and people willing to share their experiences and stories. Rock on BABY, but always keep it "Roostin"

I had ACL surgury in 2010.I entertained myself with physical therapy. :rolleyes:

seriously, though, once you can start PT, it gets a little more bearable. at least you get some kind of physical activity and can feel like you are actively working toward getting back in action.

i had to get a plate and several screws put in my leg/ankle last year. wasn't out for 8 months, but the few months i was out did suck. the boredom and not being able to do basic things for a while was the worst part. i read a lot while i was down. read my KTM service manual from cover to cover, read a bunch of stuff on suspension tuning, etc.

on weekends, i would sometimes go stay with family members. just for a change of scenery.

Bearface,

Hate to hear you tore your ACL, sounds painful.. however. I just broke my lower right fibula this past weekend while riding. Broke some bones in my right hand, and multiple contusions and lacerations up and down my right leg, arm, hip, and shoulder. 

Not much you can do while injured and recuperating. Personally, I like to work and clean on my bike as much as possible when I'm laid up. Although I'm crippled and hopping around on crutches and a wheel chair, I can still perform limited maintenance with my hands while sitting on a roll-around mechanic stool. For me, working and cleaning on my bike is meditative, rewarding, relaxing, and it allows me to stay connected with my bike. The bike was not damaged much at all as it landed on me.. I cushioned the impact that the bike would have normally took.

Other than working/cleaning on my bike, I can get caught up on all the latest movies, DVDs, and television series.. NCIS, The Blacklist, Sleeper Cell, Home Land, etc..

It's hard not to get depressed knowing/thinking about not being able to ride for 6 - 8 months, but it's not the end of the world. Try to remind yourself that it could have been much worse; at least you and I will both be able to ride again in a few months. Had you broke your back or neck, you would be looking at years of recovery.. not months. I'm very thankful that I will recover, walk, and ride again..

Hang in there... I will be here to keep you company. 

Hope you get better soon.

JL

0602131112a.jpg

Work on bike, catch up on maintanence, utube, tt,start a hobby. Examples: nitro rc, slot cars, model trains, or build a mini/pit/pocket bike, or make a go kart.

U are destined to become a thumpertalk post whore

LOL heal quick I know that hurts like hell

LOL i can feel it happening ive been on here way too much, thanks man it definitely does.

Haha that sounds familiar, as long as i get the hot physical therapist i wont mind

If you're able on some days, work on your bike. Have it so freaking factory fresh ready so when you heal, all is brand new. You're likely going to have to take it easy even after you heal, so might as well tear the down bike to the frame, and put it all back together fresh. Did this with three (3) bikes now, and I'm on number four (4) with two more (a CR500 and a KX125) waiting for my attention. Watch you tube videos of riders with Go-Pro's, I find that really relaxing, and of course there is always here, Thumper Talk to find some really cool friends and people willing to share their experiences and stories. Rock on BABY, but always keep it "Roostin"

Definitely, I usually watch go pros for hours it makes it a little easier haha, i actually just finished a tear down of my crf 250 polished every inch of that bike which is why it was such a bad time to crash, i dont know how you have the patience to do 4, one took me about 36 hours my family didnt see me for a week LOL but im thinking about buying broken bikes and just working on them for fun to turn a profit since i dont have much else to do. And definitely i think thumpertalk will save me haha

seriously, though, once you can start PT, it gets a little more bearable. at least you get some kind of physical activity and can feel like you are actively working toward getting back in action.

i had to get a plate and several screws put in my leg/ankle last year. wasn't out for 8 months, but the few months i was out did suck. the boredom and not being able to do basic things for a while was the worst part. i read a lot while i was down. read my KTM service manual from cover to cover, read a bunch of stuff on suspension tuning, etc.

on weekends, i would sometimes go stay with family members. just for a change of scenery.

Im definitely looking forward to pt its been a while since ive done anything worth while but those screws and plates sound pretty painful howd it happen? Ya i guess its a good time to learn some suspension tuning lol ill have alloooooottt of time.

Bearface,

Hate to hear you tore your ACL, sounds painful.. however. I just broke my lower right fibula this past weekend while riding. Broke some bones in my right hand, and multiple contusions and lacerations up and down my right leg, arm, hip, and shoulder.

Not much you can do while injured and recuperating. Personally, I like to work and clean on my bike as much as possible when I'm laid up. Although I'm crippled and hopping around on crutches and a wheel chair, I can still perform limited maintenance with my hands while sitting on a roll-around mechanic stool. For me, working and cleaning on my bike is meditative, rewarding, relaxing, and it allows me to stay connected with my bike. The bike was not damaged much at all as it landed on me.. I cushioned the impact that the bike would have normally took.

Other than working/cleaning on my bike, I can get caught up on all the latest movies, DVDs, and television series.. NCIS, The Blacklist, Sleeper Cell, Home Land, etc..

It's hard not to get depressed knowing/thinking about not being able to ride for 6 - 8 months, but it's not the end of the world. Try to remind yourself that it could have been much worse; at least you and I will both be able to ride again in a few months. Had you broke your back or neck, you would be looking at years of recovery.. not months. I'm very thankful that I will recover, walk, and ride again..

Hang in there... I will be here to keep you company.

Hope you get better soon.

JL

Damn man that sounds horrible, im glad you'll be okay in the long run because that must have been a serious crash. Any chance you remember how it happened haha?, definitely man sounded just like me lol i threw an office chair and skateboard down my basement stairs and crutched around repairing bikes and hauling the engines on the skateboard, ya it seems like the bike always causes the most damage haha if the bike didnt land on me i would have been fine, but from everything you broke it sounds like you would have been pretty bad off even without the bike following. Ya its definitely better to think about the bright side right now, i actually had a close call and almost got paralyzed on the same bike but ended up biting my tongue off so im definitely glad im here and im glad youre okay too man things can go bad quick when you dont expect it.

I hope you recover quick man, it sounds painful, but the good thing is we'll be able to ride again eventually. And thanks man its good to have some company.

SP

Im definitely looking forward to pt its been a while since ive done anything worth while but those screws and plates sound pretty painful howd it happen? Ya i guess its a good time to learn some suspension tuning lol ill have alloooooottt of time.

going down a steep hill at the end of a long day and just being tired and sloppy. got cross rutted, went sideways, and highsided. as i was coming off, i tried to push the bike back against the hill so it would slide, instead of tumble, down the hill. but i got my foot caught between the bike and the side of the hill and broke my fibula near the bottom and partially tore my syndesmosis (which holds your fibula and tibia together and, thus, holds your ankle in place.

had to get one long screw through the fibula into the tibia to do put my ankle back in place and hold it and the fibula in the right place until the syndesmosis healed. also needed a plate and a bunch of screws to line the fibula back up and hold it in place while it healed.

it never actually was all that terribly painful. i did use up the vicadin they prescribed me in the first couple weeks after surgery, but i took them more to deal with the boredom and anxiety than for actual pain. i don't advocate drug abuse, but popping a couple of those later at night helped me sleep a lot better which was good, i think.

i still have the plate and screws. they only take them out if they cause problems. mine don't, or, at least, haven't, so they're still in there.

i used to play football and then ultimate frisbee for a long time. knew quite a few people who popped their ACLs playing those two sports. they all came back 100% within a year. work hard at the PT, and you'll come back even stronger than you were.

I do everything I would normally do. I own a business, I don't get to call in sick....

Best thing you can do is cry for 8 months straight :) Nahh, I'm messing with you. I would find something else to entertain myself until the time passes. Hmm, Rc Cars are pretty cool. I would toy with those lol, even Rc Planes. I am a teenager and I love games but just by reading your topic it sounds like you aren't in your teen years so maybe video games isn't an option for you. Best thing to do is play with Rc Toys or make a home made go cart. That's what I would do but that's just me :D.