Sign in to follow this  

Is it ok to run 20w50 in the pig for cold weather riding?

When i first got my xrl i ran 10w40 amsoil then i switched to 20w50( amsoil ) and found that it ran cooler, made more power and it didnt use as much oil. With the colder weather returning i changed back to 10w40 and found that the oil consumpion went back up. Is it possible to run 20w50 in -0c(32f) and colder than this without any harm to the pig?....Thanks

I'm pretty sure your bike calls for 10w40 anyways.. So no it will not harm your bike. It is always good to run thicker oil but when you're riding in 32 degree weather, the 10w40 oil will get thicker then normal and will provide as much lube as you need.

the lower viscosity starts flowing easier when cold 

hell I run 5/40  syn year round seems to cover all bases

plus the 5/40 weighs less

LOL  I sooo funny

Edited by Zimman
  • Like 1

20w50 is too thick for that temp range,,period.........look at your owners manual,,10w40 or thinner.........if it burns oil with 10w40 in it,,something is worn out........keep an eye on the level and use 10w40 or thinner oil...

Thinner oil is needed in cold weather...

The only way you can run thicker oil safely..is to have the bike in a heated garage...started there then run outside without letting the engine cool off........even then i wouldn`t go there..

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1

the lower viscosity starts flowing easier when cold 

hell I run 5/40  syn year round seems to cover all bases

plus the 5/40 weighs less

LOL  I sooo funny

Actually i forgot that when i first got the bike for a few weeks i ran 0w40 amsoil because the store was out of 10w40. It said on the back of the container that it would be ok to use in bikes requiring a 10w40 grade so idecided to try it. The pig put up a fuss with that stuff. Man did it ever run hot.

20w50 is too thick for that temp range,,period.........look at your owners manual,,10w40 or thinner.........if it burns oil with 10w40 in it,,something is worn out........keep an eye on the level and use 10w40 or thinner oil...

Thinner oil is needed in cold weather...

The only way you can run thicker oil safely..is to have the bike in a heated garage...started there then run outside without letting the engine cool off........even then i wouldn`t go there..

B

Ok. Just thought i would get some advice here. If i run 10w40 it will go through it. Not a crazy amount. If i run 20w50 the consumption is cut in half. Bike doesnt smoke. Makes great power. But when i take it out i am always pounding on it hard, so i expect it to go through some oil regardless.

The oil pump is noisy with thicker oil when the engine is cold. It doesn't sound good.

Yeah, im going to keep the 10w40 in it for the colder months. But for the warmer weather 80+F, i will be putting the 20w50 back in it. The pig likes the thicker stuff during the " dog days of summer".

• Like 1

I used to run 20w50 in my XL, cause I think that's what the manual calls for.  Switched to 10w40 after I installed an oil cooler.  Not keen enough to notice anything different, cept that it isn't such a slug when cold.  Not ever planning on going back to 20w50.

Yeah, im going to keep the 10w40 in it for the colder months. But for the warmer weather 80+F, i will be putting the 20w50 back in it. The pig likes the thicker stuff during the " dog days of summer".

Before I switched to Rotella 15w40 I would run 20W50 in August and September. These are the hottest months on the coast where I live.

Edited by craftsman13

and how hot does it get in New Brunswick ?

I ride mine in the AZ desert during summer 

I wonder why yours is so finicky  ?

maybe ambient doesn't play into it alot since these run hot as heck anyway 

did you do the carb mods ? I can't remember 

I still need to try them 

I wanted to guage my temps using the XR'S only t stat  but now that won't ever be happening 

so I need to find another way to check oil temps

and how hot does it get in New Brunswick ?

I ride mine in the AZ desert during summer 

I wonder why yours is so finicky  ?

maybe ambient doesn't play into it alot since these run hot as heck anyway 

did you do the carb mods ? I can't remember 

I still need to try them 

I wanted to guage my temps using the XR'S only t stat  but now that won't ever be happening 

so I need to find another way to check oil temps

It can get hot here in New Brunswick during the summer months. Where i live it was between 85-100f for several months. On my vacation this year i built a outside deck on my place for 2 weeks and during that time she was pushing 100f every day.

Last winter I couldn't kickstart the R at -20°С (-4°F) on 15w40 for half an hour, it just didn't move quick enough and compression was too much, on 5w40 it was ok  :)

Edited by MCVL

Last winter I couldn't kickstart the R at -20°С (-4°F) on 15w40 for half an hour, it just didn't move quick enough and compression was too much, on 5w40 it was ok  :)

Hmmm

We just push a button !

LOL 

Interesting turn of events. I have stated in the past that i am a firm believer in Amsoil synthetics and have used it in all my bikes and vehicles for over 20 years. When using 10w40 amsoil "for motorcyles" my pig goes through a bit of oil every few outings of trashing and thrashing off road. when i run the 20w50 amsoil it hardly burns anything. I switched over to mobile 1 synthetic 10w30 recently and it also stopped going through oil? :huh: And its half the price of the 10w40 amsoil. :jawdrop: .I think i might send an e-mail to amsoil to share my findings. I would be interested in their response!! :naughty: 

I don't know, Amsoil is not cheap, and XRs have been engineered to be able to work on oils made from 1972 (API SE), what's the point?  :)

It would be alright if it was any ktm or twin turbo-charged super sport bike >20000 rpms, I don't think XRs need it

I'm just using a cheap can oil API SG, it's too cheap to make a forgery out of it, clutch is working fine, it doesn't burn too much and it's an oil  :D

• Like 3

I run basic 20/50 car oil in my xr6 and tt6 in all weathers hot and cold-no problems...diesel oils are also fine to use