Chain make

Hi all,

Nice easy one... What are good chain makes in the uk? It seems you can spend anything between £20 and £200 on a chain and I've no idea of the difference. Anyone know which are good? I ride a wr250 off road.

Many thanks ,

Nick

Hi all,

Nice easy one... What are good chain makes in the uk? It seems you can spend anything between £20 and £200 on a chain and I've no idea of the difference. Anyone know which are good? I ride a wr250 off road.

Many thanks ,

Nick

Anything that is atleast o ring,if you wanna spend a little more get an xring

Regina ORN6 O-ring chain.  They give me well over a year's service in the California desert.

I second the Regina ORN6 as a great chain, used them on all of my bikes for many years. RK makes a pretty good o-ring chain as well, but it is about the same price as the Regina. My last 3 chains have been Primary Drive X-ring chains from Rocky Mountain (this is Rocky Mountain's in-house brand). I have had great luck and have been getting the same life that the ORN6 chains have always given me, but for about half the price. I'm happy with them and will be buying another Primary Drive X-ring chain for my next one.

I would avoid Primary Drive's standard (non-oring) chain though. I tried one out of curiosity and it stretched so fast I had to throw it out after only a couple rides. I'll stick with their X-ring chains though.

Edited by KJ790

Hi I live in the uk an have never heard of Regina so don't know if you get em hear. Iv had Renthal an D.I.D mainly and not had any issues I tend to just buy standard roller chains and lube them after every wash an there about half the price of O or X ring chains. I recently bought an esjot chain for my yz 250 an it seems fine so far, it was £40.

Regina O-ring, they are incredibly strong and with reasonable maintenance can last you up to a year.  I know because after making chain adjustments on an ongoing basis with cheaper chains - that includes cheaper o-ring chains - I installed a Regina on my son's yz250f and literally only adjusted the chain once or twice between mid-summer of last year and this year.  He races local and national off-road series, 2-3 times per month on the average, under a lot of wet/muddy and dusty conditions, and rides/practices a lot in between.  He averages 12-14 operating hours per month.

They are also marketed under Bikemaster parts.

If you have problems getting a Regina in the UK, look for a chain that has a similar tensile strength, ~7,600 lb, that's why they don't stretch.  The cheaper chains have significantly less.

It WILL be harder to remove links, get a decent chain breaker!

Edited by Yamajeb

another vote for regina (o-ring or z-ring) if you can get them.

for awhile, i switched to non-sealed chains because i can get them for about 1/3rd the price. but, we have a lot of mud around here, and they were literally lasting me a month while the regina sealed chains last me a couple of years. so the non-sealed chains ended up being a lot more expensive in the long run.

Edited by LittleRedToyota

Have a look for a DID vt2 or vx2 chain my friend, the vt2 will run you about 80 quid, the vx2 about 65 quid but double check the vx2 comes within regular split link. They are superb chains and well worth the money, x ring type. EBay is your friend here, or have a ganders on 24mx website.

Have a look for a DID vt2 or vx2 chain my friend, the vt2 will run you about 80 quid, the vx2 about 65 quid but double check the vx2 comes within regular split link. They are superb chains and well worth the money, x ring type. EBay is your friend here, or have a ganders on 24mx website.

+1 on the DID VX2.I run them on my off road bikes as well as my sumo,they are low mantenace and long lasting.

Regina chains are made in Italy, so you should be able to find them easier than we can in the US. Just on FYI, MSR chains are re-branded Regina chains.

DID vt2 or Honda mxv  (same chain)  best I've used on a dirtbike. Haven't tried every make and model though, sure like anything you kinda get what you pay for,

I replace the vt2 usually because the side plates  are worn flat and the roller bushings worn thin  and cracked, Never wore a chain so far without replacing it because of stretch.  One initial adjustment, and maybe another one a year later. 

Oem 250x and 450x and some ktm part.   Honda's price isn't bad either and comes full 120link.

Edited by highmarker

Hi all

I've just bought a new o ring chain for my wr250.

One question... When putting the split link on I assume that it needs the rubber o rings either side of the link? If I do that, then put the cover plate on, I can then not get the sliding cover on. I've put one chain on before so vaguely know what I'm doing but not with an o ring chain.

The problem is that you need to see the groove to slide the slide cover through but it just will not compress enough.

So, must it have the o rings in place, and if so, any ideas on how to do it?

If I don't use the O rings will the chain come away / wear quicker / kill me etc etc?

Cheers!

Nick

Hi all

One question... When putting the split link on I assume that it needs the rubber o rings either side of the link? If I do that, then put the cover plate on, I can then not get the sliding cover on. I've put one chain on before so vaguely know what I'm doing but not with an o ring chain.

The problem is that you need to see the groove to slide the slide cover through but it just will not compress enough.

If I don't use the O rings will the chain come away / wear quicker / kill me etc etc?

Cheers!

Nick

Hi all

Cheers!

Nick

Use a pair of locking pliers to compress it more, just not muscling it enough...

There a pain, you have to use channel locks or nice pliers to compress the link enough to slide the master link deal on. Keep at it. And yes, running the link without the 2 o rings would be bad.

Yep.....you need to clamp on one of these for a minute, then remove and it should stay compressed enough for you to put on the clip.

vise-grip-1402L3.jpg

If you have a chain breaker, most of the new ones can be used as a chain press as well. Once compressed it will not come back apart unless you pry it. Then you simply assemble it like you would any other chain.

Edited by BDubb106