Sign in to follow this  

California Beware of Hunters - Rower Flats

Just something I thought worth posting......yesterday while me and buddy Rod were out for a Sunday morning ride, we came across a couple of fully dressed hunters pretty pissed off at our presence.  They were dressed in full Cammies with the neon orange hats......rifles in hand.

Of course they thought it was "Their Trail" and we were trespassing on their area scaring the deer away.  Started with some serious attitudes, but calmed down after we were apologetic for bummin them out.

I told both the guys that they should put some flags on the trail heads that would alert us to their presence so we know to avoid the gun fire! The last thing I would want is to bum out or get caught in some cross-fire.  They did have a white Chevy Pickup parked at the trail head, but no signs hinting to their activities.

Awesome ride though and met a few cool locals out riding as well.  Good times:)

PS....we entered from Bouquet Canyon where we call "The Kennels".  Basically Vasquez and Bouquet Canyon.  I guess the hunting season is ON!

• Like 1

Just something I thought worth posting......yesterday while me and buddy Rod were out for a Sunday morning ride, we came across a couple of fully dressed hunters pretty pissed off at our presence.  They were dressed in full Cammies with the neon orange hats......rifles in hand.

Of course they thought it was "Their Trail" and we were trespassing on their area scaring the deer away.  Started with some serious attitudes, but calmed down after we were apologetic for bummin them out.

I told both the guys that they should put some flags on the trail heads that would alert us to their presence so we know to avoid the gun fire! The last thing I would want is to bum out or get caught in some cross-fire.  They did have a white Chevy Pickup parked at the trail head, but no signs hinting to their activities.

Awesome ride though and met a few cool locals out riding as well.  Good times:)

PS....we entered from Bouquet Canyon where we call "The Kennels".  Basically Vasquez and Bouquet Canyon.  I guess the hunting season is ON!

I met those guys a couple weeks ago parked at Bouquet crossing.  they were good ole guys and didn't get the impression they were pissed at us dirtbikers. kind joked and told them we will scare the deer towards them, and hope they don't mistake us for deer.

Bastards :foul:

attachicon.gifHunters.jpg

LOL.  they said they were looking for Bambi when I asked what they were hunting for.  these guys started on the trail, but shortly went up the side of the mountain. They had the full Cammo gear.  at first, i thought it was the Rangers coming out to stop me from going up bouquet during the federal closure, lolololol. 

• Like 1

I went to Rowher once it was too hard for me.

lol I will stick to El Mirage for now.

I met those guys a couple weeks ago parked at Bouquet crossing.  they were good ole guys and didn't get the impression they were pissed at us dirtbikers. kind joked and told them we will scare the deer towards them, and hope they don't mistake us for deer.

If it's the same two guys, they both came off with attitude straight away, but were reasonable after a few minutes of talking with us.  I am sure they are good guys, but shouldn't expect us to yield trails to them.  I guess most importantly is to let others know that they are hunting in the area. 

Rowher...  from your house it's near Canada.

Think Magic Mountain.  Closer than Gorman.

Can we correct the topic name spelling to Rowher? Thanks!

Using a small OHV area as a hunting ground??

I think its safe to say these guys are not to bright, I would be careful.

• Like 6

I think DD nailed it.

I was told a few weeks ago that some hunters were up there too. I just didn't want to get shot, I guess that's a good thing about the orange bike!

• Like 1

I think DD nailed it. I was told a few weeks ago that some hunters were up there too. I just didn't want to get shot, I guess that's a good thing about the orange bike!

I don't know, a guy wearing green riding an orange bike would look more like a sneaky dear than if the same rider was riding a blue Yamaha. :D

• Like 3

I worked for nearly twenty years as an outfitter/guide for big game hunting. In all that time I never had a problem with motorcycle riders The reason for this was I didn't hunt where motorized travel was permitted. As riders it's our responsibility to find out what areas are and aren't open to ride, and as a hunter it is also up to me to do the same, if I expect to stay away from bikes and quads. Seems pretty simple to me.

When I ride during hunting season, I have exactly zero sympathy for a hunter who is trying to find game on a legal motorized trail. If they choose to hunt there they should expect to see bikes, if they don't like it, I say tough shit.  

• Like 6

We  saw at least a dozen different groups of hunters today.

And 6 deer sitting on the ridge laughing their asses off watching Joe Hunter sneak around aimlessly in his camo clothing he uses to hide underneath his bright orange vest. :lol:

• Like 1

Went to a local riding spot a few weeks ago and ran into a similar problem. As we were heading back to the truck a young guy flagged us down. "Ya'll aren't supposed to be out here with them dirt bikes, are ya?" My friend proceeds to tell them we're both riding street legal motorcycles and have every right to ride these trails. His response was "Well yer scarin away our deer." Which I wouldn't of had a problem with, if we were riding around WOT making asses of ourselves, but that wasn't the case. And the other thing that bugged me about the situation was the fact a 1/2 mile down the road there was a large group of people unloading into some targets, yet the dirt bikers are to blame for the deer running off!

Edited by Brandon B
  • Like 1