Sign in to follow this  

Best dirtbike to turn supermoto for the street and reasons why.

Let's hear it and show photos if you wish. Just wanna see what's out there hear why people chose their bike. Iv got an 06 KTM 525 exc I chose it because I thought it was the best compromise for reliability vs stock power an I like the looks too but I'm thinking Husaberg next.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383005596.098972.jpg

ktm because you can buy street legal bikes already that arent compromised.  After that wr450 would be the next one that i would choose to convert or maybe an xr650r if its a street only deal.

ktm because you can buy street legal bikes already that arent compromised. After that wr450 would be the next one that i would choose to convert or maybe an xr650r if its a street only deal.

Yeh all the people I ride with have wr450s which is another reason I chose KTM just to be different.

• Like 1

I have a DRZ SM. After many mods, It's really up to the job, but it took awhile to get it right.

Other SM is a converted 2004 GasGas 450. Took 17"wheels and new sprockets to get it right. After those few changes, it was good to go. Photos of it are still listed in this SM forum.

In Calif converting off road bikes bikes to street use is difficult at best. In looking for an off road conversion to street use in Calf the first thing you need to do is find a 2004 year model or earlier that was converted and plated prior to 2005. Off hand, the models that seem to offer the most interest are the Honda 650R for it's power and reliability, the Honda CR500 just for it's light weight and sheer power and the GG 450 because of it's similarities to the DRZ. That's why I picked the GG with it's dry sump and 2 qt oil capacity.

Many other bikes have been plated in Calif. after 2004 but with them there is always the possibilty and the probability that the DMV will dis-allow their plating status at a renewal time.

The above listed bikes that are plated sell on Craigs list for 3 to 4 times the price of the un-plated ones. Important thing to know is that you have to look at the pink to see when it was first plated. If it's not prior to 2005, the plate can always be dis-allowed and that does happen.

Tony

• Like 1

xr650r is lighter than a drz and a wr450 fyi:)

Combined?  WR is 273 pounds wet.  XR 650 is more than that dry.

Edited by funt

For a little while..... :rolleyes:

Got them both. I don't even ride the 650r anymore. Both are great bikes, but I prefer the Ktm now. I was sceptical at first, but a buddy bought one and had no problems for 3 years. I've had mine 3 yrs now and haven't had one failure. Besides it eats up most DS 4 strokes. Mine weighs in at 247lbs, and the R is 296. Ooooffff my 650L clocked 343 on the title. My wife's klx250s weighs more than the KTM. as for speed, the KTM beats all of mine at I believe 106(I'd have to look). My only machine that beats it is the CR500, and that's just a different beast. Believe it or not the KTM is not that far behind. I've even been playing with a 450X and that's a pretty fast bike, but the Ktm still beats it.

Combined?  WR is 273 pounds wet.  XR 650 is more than that dry.

not true.  xr650r dry weight is 275-280 depending on which market.  Gassed and ready to go is about 300 or a little less.  Lighter than a drz for sure.  Yamaha claims the 2014 wr450 wet weight is 273.  Ill believe it when its on a scale.  Everyone ive seen has been much heavier and been closer to 300lbs.  My drz even after some lightening is still 307lbs.  But the xr650r wears its weight much better than a wr does.  Dont get me wrong, i love the wr450, i think its a good solid bike.  Its just not a far cry from a modded drz or a xr650r.  Not to mention the stock xr exhaust weight is more than the wr.  So an exhaust swap on both bikes would yield better results.

if it comes down to weight being an issue its ktm all the way.  For just a street bike the the wr and xr are both great choices.  Just don't fool yourself to thinking that either are featherweights.  Heck even the yamaha wr250x was over 300lbs!

You have to remember each manufacturers definition of dry and wet is different.  Yamaha might say the wr450 wet is 273 but i bet its got enough gas to fill the float and not a full tank.  Probably a tiny amount of oil and very little coolant ;)  It has been my experience that KTM claimed weights have been closer than anyone else.  My ktm spec was 235.67lbs dry.  Its 259 wet in supermoto trim(a bit heavier than in dirt trim).  suzuki claimed the dry weight of my drz was 291 and that was pretty accurate as well.

Edited by shift1313

not true. xr650r dry weight is 275-280 depending on which market. Gassed and ready to go is about 300 or a little less. Lighter than a drz for sure. Yamaha claims the 2014 wr450 wet weight is 273. Ill believe it when its on a scale. Everyone ive seen has been much heavier and been closer to 300lbs. My drz even after some lightening is still 307lbs. But the xr650r wears its weight much better than a wr does. Dont get me wrong, i love the wr450, i think its a good solid bike. Its just not a far cry from a modded drz or a xr650r. Not to mention the stock xr exhaust weight is more than the wr. So an exhaust swap on both bikes would yield better results.

if it comes down to weight being an issue its ktm all the way. For just a street bike the the wr and xr are both great choices. Just don't fool yourself to thinking that either are featherweights. Heck even the yamaha wr250x was over 300lbs!

You have to remember each manufacturers definition of dry and wet is different. Yamaha might say the wr450 wet is 273 but i bet its got enough gas to fill the float and not a full tank. Probably a tiny amount of oil and very little coolant ;) It has been my experience that KTM claimed weights have been closer than anyone else. My ktm spec was 235.67lbs dry. Its 259 wet in supermoto trim(a bit heavier than in dirt trim). suzuki claimed the dry weight of my drz was 291 and that was pretty accurate as well.

Yeah I didn't account for the the stuff I swapped and ripped off. Surely my R's diet has taken her down quite a bit. The L was put on Jenny Craig and lost quite a bit also. The Ktm, well she came supermodel from the start, but I still made her lose a few! The CR was a meth addict from the start.......
  • Like 1

The Yamaha website says all fluids and a full tank of gas if you read the fine print.  I don't think they would lie.  Didn't Ford have to recall a bunch of Cobras one year for lying about the power they put out?

The Yamaha website says all fluids and a full tank of gas if you read the fine print.  I don't think they would lie.  Didn't Ford have to recall a bunch of Cobras one year for lying about the power they put out?

put your wr450 on a scale and let us know what it actually weighs and ill believe that.  Is it street legal?  I am talking about street legal vs street legal setups.  Lights, signals, horn, fan etc etc.  And all things equal, meaning all 3 bikes we are focusing on here(drz, xr BRP and the wr) I have seen have been the wr and xr pretty close to the same weights.  285-290lbs on the wr, 295-300lbs on the xrr.  Also consider the xrr has a larger tank.  Sure its only a 3lb difference but it adds up:)

For what its worth I dont believe any advertised weights  until i see it for myself.    My rmz dry weight is 220lbs,  my ktm is 235.67lbs.  Both bikes in sm trim are 251 and 259 respectively.  The suzuki has a light exhaust on it while the ktm has the stock everything(except rims and brakes). the suzuki holds less fuel as well but in the end the 15lb difference dry ends up being 8lbs wet. 

Also remember when someone is converting an older wr that was kick only they end up adding a battery(1.5-5lbs depending), lights, tail light, mirrors, signals, horn, etc etc.

Aprilia sxv5.5

No bike can touch it in a supermoto venue.

Won piles peak 2x outright... Stock.

That means beat ducati hypermotards, all super motos, and all other 2 wheel vehicles.

And won supermoto of nations

Aprilia sxv5.5

No bike can touch it in a supermoto venue.

Won piles peak 2x outright... Stock.

That means beat ducati hypermotards, all super motos, and all other 2 wheel vehicles.

And won supermoto of nations

And if I'm not mistaken, prior to 2008 every one of them blew up. Many of them within the first 1000 miles. After many mfg fixes that did not work Aprilla just replaced all the motors free of charge. On the web sites that catered to the 5.5 again, it was my rememberence, that the suggested maintenance was to change all the oil every time the bike was ridden.

So, everything said above by englertracing is true. Except for the CR500 in "SM" trim, it is the ultimate "SM" kick ass bike but it is also a maintenance nightmare.

And having one or the other is still on my wish list.

Tony