stearing bearings grease Q

im going in to my garage to take apart the front end of my bike to grease the bearings since im sure they havent been greased in years by previous owner... 

My Questions are : is it okay to use lucas wheel bearing grease? ive heard people using boat trailer wheel bearing grease for keeping out moisture but i dont have any in my garage.. should i go out and buy some? is there a special grease brand i should use ? or is my lucas wheel bearing grease just fine?

And basically anything will work well.  I use BelRay, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, etc. Whatever I have handy in my garage. Never a problem with any in 40+ years. Zero need for high heat greases but I always use something that is waterproof or a marine grease. Whatever you can get at WalMart or any auto parts store will be fine.

• Like 1

Any general bearing grease will work fine, but I always recommend quality synthetic stuff.  And synthetic is not "fake," it just means the petroleum bases have been refined very specifically to prevent chemical breakdown and loss of lubrication/protection.

I grease my steering head every 25 hrs, and inspect the bearings. 

i don't see one Lucas  bearing grease that isn't waterproof ?  I say use it if it's one of these

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products_overviews.sd?iid=7&catid=6

i read the label on mine, it doesnt say waterproof but says it exceeds marine specifications and is ideal for boat trailer bearings. yes i did use it thanks

I use this stuff and never had an issue. Everytime I go to regrease my steering or axles/bearings, there is still plenty of grease still looking like I just greased them. I have found that it last longer then Belray.

acc-raceg-re-as.png

drill a hole in the front of the head tube and put in a grease fitting, then start pumping. should take 10 mins

And it'll work its way to where it should be? And that's a lot of extra weight? I know on my bike that'd be a lot of grease? Idk, it sounds good in theory but I feel l like that shouldn't be done, idk, if I'm proven wrong I guess I should try it

I'm looking at my triple clamps right now (seriously, in the kitchen) no bearing rust or any sign of deterioration.  Bright and shiny after a year.  We used Red n Tacky, just liberally on the bearings.  That said, as a result of this thread, Bel-Ray or that Yamalube stuff makes more sense.  If it can defeat salt water, it's got to be good.

drill a hole in the front of the head tube and put in a grease fitting, then start pumping. should take 10 mins

And it'll work its way to where it should be? And that's a lot of extra weight? I know on my bike that'd be a lot of grease? Idk, it sounds good in theory but I feel l like that shouldn't be done, idk, if I'm proven wrong I guess I should try it

?

on my 06 yamaha's I was going through 2 sets of stem bearings a year, and I would repack them every year. and my buddies had the same problem, there must have been something wrong with the seal they used. they would have rust building up on the rollers.

so I got pissed, and removed the front plate and the cdi box and drilled a hole in the stem, then screwed a greese fitting,

it worked great, never had to change them again just gave it a pump once in a while and you would see the water squeeze out, then wipe the excess off.

it may weigh a lb more. so may people say they wouldent do it because weight. lets not be crazy people, your not Jeremy MCgrath and I can almost guarantee you wont notice it

my buddy went nutz, and he put greese fitting in his linkage and hubs lol. I didn't think that was necessary

on my 06 yamaha's I was going through 2 sets of stem bearings a year, and I would repack them every year. and my buddies had the same problem, there must have been something wrong with the seal they used. they would have rust building up on the rollers.

so I got pissed, and removed the front plate and the cdi box and drilled a hole in the stem, then screwed a greese fitting,

it worked great, never had to change them again just gave it a pump once in a while and you would see the water squeeze out, then wipe the excess off.

it may weigh a lb more. so may people say they wouldent do it because weight. lets not be crazy people, your not Jeremy MCgrath and I can almost guarantee you wont notice it

my buddy went nutz, and he put greese fitting in his linkage and hubs lol. I didn't think that was necessary

Did you plug off the rest of the frame? The frame spars are open to the steering tube on the YZ's, meaning if the steering tube fills up then the rest of the frame starts to fill up with grease. Yamaha updated their steering head seals after 06 to help seal better, when I had my 06 I found that the updated seals worked much better.

To the OP, your Lucas grease will work fine. Like someone else said earlier, any grease is better than no grease on these.

Edited by KJ790