Sign in to follow this  

250sx on the trail?

I know the XC is ready for the woods right out of the box, but I was wondering if anybody out there rides their SX on the tight trails and if people wouldn't mind offering their opinions on the matter.

My son bought a 13 250 SX right after they came out. He's a woods rider and races hare scrambles with it 90% of the time. I rode it several times and had to have one. Got a smoking deal on a left over 13 a couple of months ago and started setting it up to suit me. Aside from the protective farkles most folks add to any bike, I also added an 11oz fly-wheel weight to reduce the massive hit and improve the way the bike hooks up, as well as having the suspension revalved for my riding. I've never ridden a bike that'll rail single track corners, as well as thread the tight technical sections like this thing. The bike is absolutely amazing...

These bikes can be great for off road.  I had an '03 250SX with a 10 oz. FWW, Rekluse Clutch, sprung for my weight and revalved, FMF SST pipe with TCII SA/muffler, PMB kickstand, and 13/52 gearing.  I only sold it to upgrade to electric start and get a generally newerbike (2008).  For a couple weeks I had both bikes and rode them back to back.  The SX was so much faster and since I hadn't done the suspenders on the newer bike yet, handled better.  At 57 I'm not really an aggressive rider, so the 250 XCW I have now seems to be a better mount for me at this time.   I would think that a younger, more aggressive rider could really haul the mail on an SX.  Happy trails.

I really like the SX and have used them for Hare Scrambles and Enduro.  Great all around bike.  It is light and nimble with lots of power.  It was a toss up for me and I chose the XC because I like the estart and 6 speed trans otherwise it would have been another SX.  

Ahh, please do not appeal to the "younger, more aggressive" man in me! I gave up dirtbikes for Harleys when I was 16 and only started riding trails again a few months ago, but my YZ426 is just a pig on the tight trails that I like. I definitely have the bug and now that I have 2 little ones, it's time to bring my adventure closer to home. I left a few fingers in Afghanistan so the weight of the bike is a factor for me by the end of the day. There are certainly some good deals on the 250SX and you guys are really making it sound awesome- I just wonder if it has the versatility the 300 XC-W offers.

Ahh, please do not appeal to the "younger, more aggressive" man in me!There are certainly some good deals on the 250SX and you guys are really making it sound awesome- I just wonder if it has the versatility the 300 XC-W offers.

SX is gonna be a more focused bike, focused toward aggressive riding and racing. It also depends on what kind of tight trails you are talking about. I ride some tight trails east of here that are single track but have good loam, not alot of rock or square edge trail trash. The sx wouldn't give up too much there. On the other hand, most of the trails around here have alot of rock and square edge ...one of the guys ('13 250 Sx) that rides here sometimes has a hard time with the sx suspension on that, I've ridden the bike and I could see where a little more compliant forks would be better. An SX is very responsive, more responsive than my '13 300 XC with SX head and SX cdi . An 300 XC would be a happy medium, more versatile in several ways, a little more mellow, more torque. You can also run a good headlight with an XC .

• Like 1

I have a 2003 SX250 with no FWW and i nly ride trails. I love it to death the power is insane, really aggresive powerband but thats the way i like it :)

• Like 2

I think you've sold me on the 300. I will be living in the rocks for the better part of every ride. And since my riding partner's KDX200 has a light, I cannot let him have the lead at night every time- he's too slow! Thanks a lot guys.

• Like 2

I think you've sold me on the 300. I will be living in the rocks for the better part of every ride. And since my riding partner's KDX200 has a light, I cannot let him have the lead at night every time- he's too slow! Thanks a lot guys.

Make sure they give you a headlight mask if you get an XC , The masks that fit the XC are on backorder right now .

Ok, guys, I ended up with an 04 300 EXC. It came with the Gnarly, steering stabilizer. Factory connection suspension set up to my exact weight, bark busters, quick release wheels, 18" in the rear and some ugly graphics. This thing is definitely not as fast as my YZ426, but it is so nimble that I can just whip through every tight space with ease! This is my first KTM and I must say that I'm pretty happy with it.

Does anybody know anything about the steering stabilizer and how I should find out the best setting for meImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383441616.689684.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383441639.883689.jpg

Any recommendations on fuel/oil mixture? Specific oils, etc...?