Sign in to follow this  

Carb problem on kx125

Hi when im done riding and i forget to turn off my gas, then my carb will release all the gas inside of it! This has gotten me in lots of trouble because then the whole garage smells like gas. Also i have changed the gasket and cleaned it well but its still draining all of the gas inside of it. I have thaught about just plugging the end of the overflow cap so this doesnt happen but im afraid if it will cause other problems

Hi when im done riding and i forget to turn off my gas, then my carb will release all the gas inside of it! This has gotten me in lots of trouble because then the whole garage smells like gas. Also i have changed the gasket and cleaned it well but its still draining all of the gas inside of it. I have thaught about just plugging the end of the overflow cap so this doesnt happen but im afraid if it will cause other problems

Thats a sticky float right there. Take your carby apart and clean it, possibly replace fuel valve and float seat. Sometiems even a soft tap from a rubber mallet to the float chamber fixes it. Reset the float height while you're in there.

I have cleaned it many times and the needle wasent stuck. So it should be the adjustment that will help?

Is it just the fuel in the carb that leaks out?  If so, then yes, most likely the float level is a little hi.  Are resting the bike on a side stand when this happens?  (is the bike leaned over?)  Does it do it when on a center stand? (bike straight up)

Remember to turn the fuel off about 15 seconds before you shut off the engine and that solves your problem!

I had a problem like this, but float adjustment never helped, heres what happened. The little brass piece that the float needle goes in to has a oring around it. That had dried up and fuel was getting around it, replaced and problem solved. Try adjusting your float first though, but it usually doesn't just come out of adjustment.

What year is your bike? If it's old enough carb, you may not be able to replace the brass stopper assembly if the o ring goes bad. I'd buy a new stopper and try that first. If that's bad it will leak gas. Or just remember to turn your gas off. Don't plug overflow. It will lead to ALOT more problems and it will still leak gas.

Edited by Yz4481f

Only time I turn my petcock off is when I'm removing the fuel tank. Never have I had issues with plug fouling or leaking gas. Unless I lean it over anyway.

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. If it's the stock Mikuni, look into trashing it and putting on a Kehein. Jeekinz had a thread on it and I'm getting ready to do it as well.

But mine leaked bad and I had to set my float height to exactly 9.5mm. Not .4 or .6. And it still leaks. It's not the o ring because I have rebuilt the carb with all new parts.

It's still a PITA to jet, still sputters in hotter weather, etc, etc.

bascially the Mikuni is junk. Read up on Jeekinz thread. Good info and he picked one up for $50. I'm getting a new one from carbparts.com.

If it leaks fuel, it's still a float issue. Whether it's a level adjustment or, being that it's an 02, a bad seal like gscx said.

Get a rebuild kit and start with that.