hawaiidirtrider

What do the top extreme enduro riders use for a rear tire?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, kashtyaatsi said:

Anybody spend any serious time on the motoz arena hybrid gummy? Slavens built the tire up so much but I don't think it holds up. It's definitely a good tire, but I like the 525 better. I only have 100 miles on the the motoz though. Interested to see what other people think.

I ran one out to about a thousand miles 110 size.  It was better in the really loose stuff than a 505, but I won't buy it again.  The 505 is too good of a value for me not to run.

• Like 1

I ran one out to about a thousand miles 110 size.  It was better in the really loose stuff than a 505, but I won't buy it again.  The 505 is too good of a value for me not to run.
I'm about 200 miles in and I definitely won't be getting a 1000 miles out of it, maybe 600. I still think I like the 525 better but the motoz is a bit better in the faster desert riding.

Paul Bolton used a x30 at Hawthorne
Well that's definitely more of a hare scramble race, not as technical. Probably not quite the need for such a sticky tire.
  • Like 1

Well that's definitely more of a hare scramble race, not as technical. Probably not quite the need for such a sticky tire.
Yeah i ment the comment as in they use all kinds of tires, not just one brand or model.

Yeah i ment the comment as in they use all kinds of tires, not just one brand or model.
Bolton is a good guy to look cause he's a privateer. All these other guys just run what their sponsors give them.
  • Like 1

Noone runs a Bridgestone X30 on purpose, basic peasant tyre.

On the Shinko Cheaters you almost have to state wether its 120 or 110 size. They are basically different tyres. 505 is epic in either size with the 120 lasting longer. 525 we dont bother selling in 110 size. The 120/100 is great.

For a harescramble type tyre the Mitas C-18 shits on everything and is right up there for everything but the most extreme waterfall rocky stuff, which is why the pros use Ef07, Gt216 type tyres for erzberg type events. Megawatt type events the Mitas boys use C18

• Like 3

On 10/25/2018 at 5:10 AM, kashtyaatsi said:
On 10/25/2018 at 4:11 AM, sixdaysoffun said:

Bolton is a good guy to look cause he's a privateer. All these other guys just run what their sponsors give them.

Bolton doesn’t get free tires from some manufacturer? He’s a top guy. .. even as a privateer

10 hours ago, livefivetwofive said:

On the Shinko Cheaters you almost have to state wether its 120 or 110 size. They are basically different tyres. 505 is epic in either size with the 120 lasting longer. 525 we dont bother selling in 110 size. The 120/100 is great.

For a harescramble type tyre the Mitas C-18 shits on everything and is right up there for everything but the most extreme waterfall rocky stuff, which is why the pros use Ef07, Gt216 type tyres for erzberg type events. Megawatt type events the Mitas boys use C18

I really like the x30 does that mean im a peasant? not that I mind being one.

I don't ride extreme enduro tho, just trails with a few technical spots so a decent allrounder suits my riding.

I've read this whole thread, some of it more than once even tho I wont be running any of the tires the pros run, I wear them out too quick and don't need all the grip they have.

I don't ride extreme enduro tho, just trails with a few technical spots so a decent allrounder suits my riding.

I've read this whole thread, some of it more than once even tho I wont be running any of the tires the pros run, I wear them out too quick and don't need all the grip they have.
Ive been trying out a ton of tires from GT's to sedonas and shinkos and i keep coming back to the x30. I love the tire, it hooks up everywhere,wears decent and transitions well from dry loam to mud to rocks. I can usually get 2 races and 3 practice rides out of one tire. I will say that once the edge gets rounded past a certain point performance goes down hill pretty fast. I just wish the had more 18" options esp since a ton of people run them for HS and enduro races.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:09 PM, filterx said:

My 505 has been incredible for performance/life and cost and still waiting to wear it out so I can try out the 525 Cheater i've had sitting in my kitchen since June :)

Why did you choose the cheater over the ibex, i'm about to order a set for winter, going M59 on the front. Looks like the 525 would corner better because of how close together the side knobs are on the Ibex, and possibly last a bit longer as well. I'm running the equilibrium right now and it only sucks for braking in mud. Anyone run an Ibex and just remove every 3rd or 4th side knob?

26 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:

Why did you choose the cheater over the ibex, i'm about to order a set for winter, going M59 on the front. Looks like the 525 would corner better because of how close together the side knobs are on the Ibex, and possibly last a bit longer as well. I'm running the equilibrium right now and it only sucks for braking in mud. Anyone run an Ibex and just remove every 3rd or 4th side knob?

IMO the 525 is more like a motocross tire than the 505. IMO same compound but blockier and should hook up good in the slop and I'll find out about the closer threads. Not that 505 the didn't work good everywhere really just to compare them.

Still have the 505 on and honestly I could still use it all winter if its mild but I'm ordering a new drive train and might finally put on the 525 when I have the wheel off.

I've had the Ibex on my list for awhile and the price is right for around $75 US and doing this so I can see the differences.

ken_18_tir_k_774_ibe_hyb.jpg

shi_18_tir_r_525_hyb_che.jpg

shi_17_tir_r_505_hyb_che.jpg

IMO Ibex and 505 are kinda similar.

Let me know how you like the Ibex and PSI :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, filterx said:

IMO the 525 is more like a motocross tire than the 505. IMO same compound but blockier and should hook up good in the slop and I'll find out about the closer threads. Not that 505 the didn't work good everywhere really just to compare them.

Still have the 505 on and honestly I could still use it all winter if its mild but I'm ordering a new drive train and might finally put on the 525 when I have the wheel off.

I've had the Ibex on my list for awhile and the price is right for around $75 US and doing this so I can see the differences.

ken_18_tir_k_774_ibe_hyb.jpg

shi_18_tir_r_525_hyb_che.jpg

shi_17_tir_r_505_hyb_che.jpg

IMO Ibex and 505 are kinda similar.

Let me know how you like the Ibex and PSI :)

I ordered the M59 and a 525 cheater. I'm sure they'll be an improvement over my worn X30 and Equilibrium. ?

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 4:32 AM, biglake said:

I run X30s on the local track, GPs and some XC events and desert trails and it's great, but even aired way down on tubliss the rear just doesn't grip at all in my local winter woods riding and the front packs up bad. Good all around tire though. 

I should have mentioned the Mitas C-18 we sell for harescramble and trail riding is the RED stripe. Lasts longer than green stripe, still hooks up EVERYWHERE better than X30, corners better and wont chunk.  Everyone that trys it converts.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, HevyRotashunz said:

I ordered the M59 and a 525 cheater. I'm sure they'll be an improvement over my worn X30 and Equilibrium. ?

Might give the M59 a try but I'm thinking a 90/100 Maxxis Desert IT (I loved this tire) or a Michelin StarCross 5 Soft or Shinko MX216 (even with a few poor reviews)

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 6:47 PM, livefivetwofive said:

Have you had the Shinko 525 cheater 110 and 120 beside each other? Ran acouple 110 525’s this summer, awesome tire. Just ordered a 120 525 and it looks huge compared to the 110. Not just in size but even the lugs seem a lot bigger. Now my 110 is quite worn but wondering if there really that much different??  Looks more like a irc m5b! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigd450 said:

Have you had the Shinko 525 cheater 110 and 120 beside each other? Ran acouple 110 525’s this summer, awesome tire. Just ordered a 120 525 and it looks huge compared to the 110. Not just in size but even the lugs seem a lot bigger. Now my 110 is quite worn but wondering if there really that much different??  Looks more like a irc m5b! 

My 0.02, and a sample size if like 4, but folks I know who've run the 110 absolutely shredded it after a handful of rides. Knobs torn off, everything. The couple guys I know who've run the 120 (myself included) didn't have any of those problems. I got 450 miles out of my 120 (50% worn), and was very pleased with it. But none of us have run both the 110 and 120. 

It's enough of a data point that I won't be trying the 110. Whereas before, I was a little concerned that the 120 was too big/heavy for my 350. But the 130 M5B is also a big tire (my current tire), but doesn't do as well as the 525 in slick conditions.

Edited by jrodicus100
  • Like 1

My 0.02, and a sample size if like 4, but folks I know who've run the 110 absolutely shredded it after a handful of rides. Knobs torn off, everything. The couple guys I know who've run the 120 (myself included) didn't have any of those problems. I got 450 miles out of my 120 (50% worn), and was very pleased with it. But none of us have run both the 110 and 120. 

It's enough of a data point that I won't be trying the 110. Whereas before, I was a little concerned that the 120 was too big/heavy for my 350. But the 130 M5B is also a big tire (my current tire), but doesn't do as well as the 525 in slick conditions.

Took off my 110 at 350 miles and had no torn knobs. Some side knobs were showing serious distress and probably would have torn after another 50-75 miles. Center lugs were chewed up but not torn. About 150 of those miles were out in the desert too. I try not to spin the tire when I can help it.

The 110 shinko 525 is my go to. Which size tire do you like better? And what bike and terrain do you ride?