What do the top extreme enduro riders use for a rear tire?

7 hours ago, filterx said:

Ya I put my first 505 cheater on before the July long weekend 5 day trip to Duffy/Kamloops in 2017 honestly at a higher PSI I really liked the tire. its now Nov 2018 and haven't been riding as much as I normally do but I still have the 505 on and shocked at how well its held up (after a flip) and really I could probably ride it all winter if we don't get tons of snow on the coast.

As I've said and IMO it all comes down to terrain/riding style. As far a muddy/slop goes its been raining here non stop for about 2 weeks and there are going to be some axle deep muddy/snotty trail sections in Squampton and I can ride with 5 dudes with 5 different tire setups and when we stop ALL the tire's will be completely clogged with mud. Then its being out front and how fast to can spin the tires to get the mud off and cover your bud behind you ?

505 Cheater today and on since July 2017 (I guess I need to ride more ) ?

I started ripping knobs off well before I got to that level of wear.  But I ride a lot of rocky sections. 

For reference here is my Shinko 505 120 cheater. Not quite sure how many hours but between 20-30hrs. The tire worked alright but wouldn’t run another one. The 525 and Mitas are better for my terrain. The one place the 505 sucked is in shale rock climbs. Lugs are to close together. 

B4870521-7AFE-41B2-B0C9-646010A21523.jpeg

On 10/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, Bigd450 said:

Have you had the Shinko 525 cheater 110 and 120 beside each other? Ran acouple 110 525’s this summer, awesome tire. Just ordered a 120 525 and it looks huge compared to the 110. Not just in size but even the lugs seem a lot bigger. Now my 110 is quite worn but wondering if there really that much different??  Looks more like a irc m5b! 

Ijust bought a 120 525, can confirm, its frikin huge

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 5:24 PM, filterx said:

Might give the M59 a try but I'm thinking a 90/100 Maxxis Desert IT (I loved this tire) or a Michelin StarCross 5 Soft or Shinko MX216 (even with a few poor reviews)

Monk said that 216 blows but neither of us rides anywhere close to his warm up pace so who knows. 

On 11/3/2018 at 2:45 AM, filterx said:

... IMO with UHD tubes I've really been playing with PSI in my tires and it depending on tires/terrain/riding style etc it can make a HUGE difference and i find I run lower PSI's than my buddies but I'm also try different tires a lot more.

PSI is easy/cheap to try (carry a gauge and a small dual action hand pump if you really want to play around) and I haven't had a pinch flat in like 6 years ?

Agreed, UHD is a good choice if you can keep above 8 psi. But sometimes 8 psi is too much and you need to go lower. This is when UHD tubes are no longer useful.

41 minutes ago, droom said:

Agreed, UHD is a good choice if you can keep above 8 psi. But sometimes 8 psi is too much and you need to go lower. This is when UHD tubes are no longer useful.

Depends on your speeds, and I guess if you are racing or not. I run UHD tubes down to 3psi in the rear, no issues. If fact I've never run over 8psi w/ UHD tubes. Obviously this is tire-dependent, terrain-dependent, and riding style-dependent. If I was racing, I might have a different outlook though.

Edited by jrodicus100
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HevyRotashunz said:

Monk said that 216 blows but neither of us rides anywhere close to his warm up pace so who knows. 

The key to any 216 fatty is to raise the forks in the triples to regain the proper ride height. Otherwise the  tire height will play havoc and make the bike push 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Graham said:

The key to any 216 fatty is to raise the forks in the triples to regain the proper ride height. Otherwise the  tire height will play havoc and make the bike push 

My yz already pushes lol. Monk did an extremely intensive review on the 216 here and he covered a ton of combinations of settings including ride height. But again, he's a freak so his findings either don't apply to mortals like me or they apply double because i don't have the skill to ride around shitty performance. I tried a 216 on my dual sport and thought it was just ok, the fact is that ive no inclination to cheap out on front rubber, if i want that style of tire I'll just buy the GT.

• Like 1

I find no difference between the shinko 216 fatty and the golden , that said golden had different compounds over the years with that tire and vastly different performance .  Also everyone’s terrain and psi makes a huge difference . But I also agree I would spoon on a golden over shinko if the price is within $50 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andrew Graham said:

I find no difference between the shinko 216 fatty and the golden , that said golden had different compounds over the years with that tire and vastly different performance .  Also everyone’s terrain and psi makes a huge difference . But I also agree I would spoon on a golden over shinko if the price is within $50 

I tested both... the Shinko weighs almost 2 pounds more than the GT (by my scale). The Shinko also started shedding knobs at 400 miles. The GT I don't have enough miles on yet, but it feels a bit more precise whereas the Shinko had a bit of a dead feeling to it. Both soak up the rocks and roots really well, which is why I love the "fatty" size. I expect the GT to last twice as long. I also raised my forks (lowered the front end) by ~7mm when I went to the fatty size, and I don't notice any sluggishness or pushing. 

Edited by jrodicus100
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 7:47 AM, jrodicus100 said:

Depends on your speeds, and I guess if you are racing or not. I run UHD tubes down to 3psi in the rear, no issues. If fact I've never run over 8psi w/ UHD tubes. Obviously this is tire-dependent, terrain-dependent, and riding style-dependent. If I was racing, I might have a different outlook though.

Same here 3 to 8 lbs depending and yea I do race with it and it’s good. It’s like you say terrain depending too. I have no problems with tubes and it seems more have issues with tubliss. No one runs mouses here. I think guys need the option to run very low tire pressures when weather changes. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 11/6/2018 at 12:20 PM, Andrew Graham said:

Really?  50 bucks more expensive and still go gt? Being that close enough in performance Id go the less money route. 

5 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Really?  50 bucks more expensive and still go gt? Being that close enough in performance Id go the less money route. 

I dunno, twice the life and not shedding knobs seems worth it to me. There's the almost 2 pound weight savings too...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

I dunno, twice the life and not shedding knobs seems worth it to me. There's the almost 2 pound weight savings too...

Oh that’s why.. thought they run close to the same. Just to note from those running them locally there isn’t any noticeable difference other than price. I had one to try but gave to a good friend and he likes it.  Maybe different terrain or different batches of tires??

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

11 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

GT is a way better fatty tire based on my limited sample set of running 1 GT and ruining 1 Shinko. In my randomness of tire selection I foolishly went back to a non-fatty and am regretting it somewhat. Next front I will be back on the GT Fatty. Thinking of popping a 333 on the rear as soon as I have run down my M5B more or have one more ride in cold, wet roots where I am thoroughly pissed at it.  On the plus side, flipping that M5B 180 degrees  I'll have nice big knobs on there for riding the sand sections and hills at Mattawa.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

GT is a way better fatty tire based on my limited sample set of running 1 GT and ruining 1 Shinko. In my randomness of tire selection I foolishly went back to a non-fatty and am regretting it somewhat. Next front I will be back on the GT Fatty. Thinking of popping a 333 on the rear as soon as I have run down my M5B more or have one more ride in cold, wet roots where I am thoroughly pissed at it.  On the plus side, flipping that M5B 180 degrees  I'll have nice big knobs on there for riding the sand sections and hills at Mattawa.

I'd be curious to know if the 333 performs much better in cold, wet rocks & roots than the M5B. I have the M5B now after my 525 Cheater finally wore out, and partly based on your reports, and partly my own, I ordered another 525 even though my M5B only has 30 miles on it.

I'd be curious to know if the 333 performs much better in cold, wet rocks & roots than the M5B. I have the M5B now after my 525 Cheater finally wore out, and partly based on your reports, and partly my own, I ordered another 525 even though my M5B only has 30 miles on it.
Can't wait to try my new 525, this darn Equalibrium still has some rides in it though. [emoji19]

Here’s my shinko fatty after  2 Hare scrambles ( 2nd place in both , one faster and one technical )  and about another 10 hours . It’s $80 + tax Canadian . The golden tyre fatty is now $160 Canadian and tax  It lasted an entire season , but I try to buy on the US side as most don’t ship tires across the border .  Both get run about 8 psi  and are tubliss 

B066A3AB-FE16-4C79-8D2E-5251BFF52325.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andrew Graham said:

Here’s my shinko fatty after  2 Hare scrambles ( 2nd place in both , one faster and one technical )  and about another 10 hours . It’s $80 + tax Canadian . The golden tyre fatty is now $160 Canadian and tax  It lasted an entire season , but I try to buy on the US side as most don’t ship tires across the border .  Both get run about 8 psi  and are tubliss 

B066A3AB-FE16-4C79-8D2E-5251BFF52325.jpeg

120/18 is about $108 US $160 does not compute. I guess that's why the biggest business in Sumas is  a drop box.

Edit I was thinking of the 333  at $108

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 2

I ran only once a UHD tube with a rear, at about 6 psi I think, and I thought it could work for training, but only on tracks which are not very long or remote because the terrain we ride is full of sharp stones and is very easy to cut the tire, even one that has a stiff carcass like the Maxxis EnduPro. And I don't know anyone out here to carry a spare tube with him. ? 

I do run a UHD tube in the front of my practice wheel set, but for racing I prefer a mousse for the piece of mind that it gives me.    

• Like 3