hawaiidirtrider

What do the top extreme enduro riders use for a rear tire?

13 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I’ve seen tubliss getting flats too. Id be more interested in the bib but I’m concerned on the low 3 to 5 lbs pressure days that are greasy slippery mud days.. still it’s all pro and cons on everything in life. How difficult is it to put on a bib???

Ya IMO we sort of ride the same wide variety of terrain/conditions  and IMO I like the flexibility of adjusting the PSI in tubes cus as I posted, I can vary it quite a bit and IMO easy to try and I tend to run way lower PSI's than my buddies but I also usually try way different tires than they do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Littlewillie7 said:

That's very interesting. A couple years ago it was almost all Golden Tyre. 

Yes and the same guys are winning now without them. Talent wins not tires.

Edited by indy rider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, indy rider said:

I've noticed that. Even when I go out riding it shows when I'm using all my "talent" rather than just trying to rely on my tire hooking up. Crazy how many skills can go into the sport. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, indy rider said:

Just made me think of an interesting Hard Enduro event and slightly off topic

Get the top 10 hard enduro riders as per the current standings.

Pick a venue.

Have a lottery and pick one bike manufacture and have them supply 10 of the exact sames bikes. (It would be really interesting to see say a 4T MX bike but that would exclude some manufactures :)

Riders can adjust controls, PSI etc for them and do a bit of practice riding BUT otherwise bikes/tires etc are exactly the same.

Then let them have at and find out is it the rider or the bike :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, filterx said:

Just made me think of an interesting Hard Enduro event and slightly off topic

Get the top 10 hard enduro riders as per the current standings.

Pick a venue.

Have a lottery and pick one bike manufacture and have them supply 10 of the exact sames bikes. (It would be really interesting to see say a 4T MX bike but that would exclude some manufactures :)

Riders can adjust controls, PSI etc for them and do a bit of practice riding BUT otherwise bikes/tires etc are exactly the same.

Then let them have at and find out is it the rider or the bike :)

Sort of like race of champions?? Give everyone an IROC camaro and limit hop up and let them go!! Or the kids racing minibikes at Supercross on all ktm same  mini bikes?? .. Yea that would be fun.. and of course it would probably be something like ktm sponsoring as they have the biggest pockets. 

Really all the 2 stroke enduro brands are still pretty close though. All are pretty good bikes out there..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Top 3 on Erzberg 2019  used Michelin Enduro Medium FIM. Graham used a standard mousse which his technicians drilled for him.  The Michelin Enduro medium is a very good tire, rubber is similar to old 216GT HBN, but you will get longer life time out of it. Funny part is, the tire -even when it looks totally fooked- still grips excellent. Its better for hard enduro than anything else Michelin has, its even better than their MX tires unless its muddy.

Lars, who finished 11th used the new X-Grip soft Jack the Gripper.

35956302pp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

I would second @Doc Brown Michelin Enduro medium lasts a very long time and is a very good allrounder. However it gets some minus points for its sometimes lacking lateral support on side slopes compared to some other brands.

Top 3 used Michelin, Top 10 used Metzeler, the KTM chaos boys all had Metzeler on their bikes.   

2 minutes ago, droom said:

sometimes lacking lateral support on side slopes compared to some other brands.

If the pressure is low enough, like with soft mousse this isn't an issue. Its an issue on a Mitas 754, but even this one may work, but only with super soft mousse or Tubliss at 0,2 bar.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 5:14 AM, Doc Brown said:

Top 3 on Erzberg 2019  used Michelin Enduro Medium FIM. Graham used a standard mousse which his technicians drilled for him.  The Michelin Enduro medium is a very good tire, rubber is similar to old 216GT HBN, but you will get longer life time out of it. Funny part is, the tire -even when it looks totally fooked- still grips excellent. Its better for hard enduro than anything else Michelin has, its even better than their MX tires unless its muddy.

Lars, who finished 11th used the new X-Grip soft Jack the Gripper.

35956302pp.jpg

The Michelin Enduro medium they are using is just the standard compound? Kinda assumed they would have a gummy version they are using. Hard to see them going from the 216 gummy or Mitas double green to just a standard tire. 

5 hours ago, Bigd450 said:

The Michelin Enduro medium they are using is just the standard compound? Kinda assumed they would have a gummy version they are using. Hard to see them going from the 216 gummy or Mitas double green to just a standard tire. 

I imagine they had special compounds but the standard Michelin Enduro medium is pretty soft. Definitely softer than the Mitas single green.

The GT 216X  absolutely sucked for local riding.I guess the hbn is a little better but the low knobs don’t cut it.. 216x works  good for too short a time and when the knobs quickly come off then it just doesn’t hook up in local slippery mud . Throw that tire away. It’s good for a few hard rides then it has to be taken off. Overall the fim type knobs( michelin, metzler etc)  just can’t compare to other bigger knobs hybrid tires like kenda Ibex and the cheater 505 and 525 type for local riding . Guys are using that knob hybrid type or like a dunlop trials tire which works well for different reasons. There’s extreme enduro riding all over the world. I guess it seems Id like to see what the pros use for riding in the similar type of soils in races that are similar to local riding. Some locals  are trying moose now but guys are still seeming to like tubliss and heavyduty tubes so the psi can go much lower to hookup in very slippery conditions.  

I wonder if some newer fim tires will be better.. but from the ones Ive seen running locally.. Im not confident ahead of time of newer ones working better than what guys are running now.  Hope they are.. A better tire is always welcome.

It would be cool if a redbull or whatever hard enduro sponsored race that all the top pros would come here to race.. Id like to see their choices then. 

Different hard enduro races are vastly different in environments . 

The great thing is we have a ton of great choices now no matter where you live and ride.

1 hour ago, indy rider said:

I imagine they had special compounds but the standard Michelin Enduro medium is pretty soft. Definitely softer than the Mitas single green.

Good to know! Haven’t seen one peraonaly and by the description didn’t think they’d actually be that soft. 

9 hours ago, Bigd450 said:

I don't know really, but I have posted your question to the supplier in the UK. The Michelin Medium Enduro, in my opinion, is the best tire Michelin has ever made. It's a tad softer than the standard GT 216 HBN but the surprising point is that it still grips when it's knobs are rounded and look pretty worn. All it needs is a soft mousse and its almost unbeatable except in loam or deep mud. Cross tires are over estimated, 3 or 4 mm of longer knobs play a role in mud and loose soil, on rocks and hard pack the difference plays just no role.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't know really, but I have posted your question to the supplier in the UK. The Michelin Medium Enduro, in my opinion, is the best tire Michelin has ever made. It's a tad softer than the standard GT 216 HBN but the surprising point is that it still grips when it's knobs are rounded and look pretty worn. All it needs is a soft mousse and its almost unbeatable except in loam or deep mud. Cross tires are over estimated, 3 or 4 mm of longer knobs play a role in mud and loose soil, on rocks and hard pack the difference plays just no role.

See your view is a perfect example. Different terrain /soil and conditions in different places are different concerning what tires work better. Your descriptions of enduro tire performance where you are are dramatically different than local performance with the tires mentioned.. and we try all the different types of tires to find whatever gives the best edge riding.. Dealers have been bringing in a wide variety of tires and with experience almost no one buys fim style tires. Its trials dunlop and a variety of knobby Hybrids and some mid knob tires here and there. I remember the local dealer up the street had a sale on a huge stack of GT 216X tires. He sold them all before a local hare and hounds. Later I asked him why he didn’t bring anymore in. He said it was just a couple of rides.. the knobs blow off and there’s no traction. Guys complained so he said he wont bring them in again.  Different places are different performance. 

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Guess I’ll just have to try one. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Bigd450 said:

Guess I’ll just have to try one. Thanks. 

I have no answer from the supplier yet but from some guys close to Jarvis it has been said that a soft tire like the 216X (the gummy tire) isn't what the top boyz need. The supersoft tires are worn long time before Carl's Dinner. Hence the decision to use the standard tire (which is relatively soft anyway). They also said a supersoft would work for us hobby riders but not for the pro's...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I have no answer from the supplier yet but from some guys close to Jarvis it has been said that a soft tire like the 216X (the gummy tire) isn't what the top boyz need. The supersoft tires are worn long time before Carl's Dinner. Hence the decision to use the standard tire (which is relatively soft anyway). They also said a supersoft would work for us hobby riders but not for the pro's...

Ya its one race so makes sense to be able to choose the best tire/PSI etc to get you through it to the end.

• Like 1

My Boy out there with a 140/80 M5B at LDS. Next time it’ll be a 130 he said they didn’t have a 130 when he ordered it. The 140’s don’t turn well. 

But he was the one that cleaned the hill climb. Even the pros got stuck. 

CDB4E8A2-BB4E-4A0F-8298-25B0CF9E252A.jpeg

7F7F1A2B-66DA-4CCB-AE4F-9BE1FF883CDF.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I guess there has been an evolution from some years ago. Back when , the pros like Jarvis were using the 216X for extreme hard enduros . It’s a race day tire although we didn’t know that at the time till guys bought and used them.... most don’t have money to blow for a one day tire. Pros get free tires. ..Because the pros were using 216X then is why one of our local dealers brought in so many to sell .  So we have more options of tires and tire development is constantly happening..All is good. It’s pick what’s best for whatever type of course and location and weather. There were vids out of showing jarvis riding around on 216X with blown off knobs. It might have worked ok where he was. Here it didn’t hook up that great and then when the knobs came off it was useless . 

That big xgrip looks interesting.. wonder how that might work.