Sign in to follow this  

09 Whining noise

I have an 09 that has a whining sound when you let off the throttle. It does it in all gears. Sounds like a jet engine slowing. Any ideas?

That's the sound of all the KTM's in the background, wishing they were Hondas.

LMAO !!!

I have an 09 that has a whining sound when you let off the throttle. It does it in all gears. Sounds like a jet engine slowing. Any ideas?

A whining sound that goes up and down with rpm's is almost always a bearing. I have come across crf's that previous owners had oil filter in backwards. This starves the cam bearings and they can make a heck of a noise.

Mine is doing exactly the same!!! From doing some research I know I need to change the bearings on the counter shaft balancer, but could this be making the whining noise?

Any help would be great !

Id start by checking the kicker idler gear. #7 and 8. One of the easiest way to rule this out is to run your gear oil about 150cc higher than the book says. For whatever reason the sleeve seem to go under oiled. Could be #3 and 9 too.

1600.png

Crank Bearings might be going bad - My 09 wined a little for a while then got real bad,  Drained the oil and found small shards of metal in the oil.  The Main bearing went bad and ended up trashing the oil pump and the cases when the shards went through the oil pump.  Had to put in a new crank, bearings, seals, cam chain, guides, piston valves and valve seals.  I rebuild everything because metal was floating around for probably 20-30 minutes when one of the balls in the bearing started to fall apart. 

Not a cheap fix - expect $1000-1500 in parts.  Because if you are into the bottom end, you might as well fix the transmission and update 3-4 year and the shift forks with 2011-2012 parts.  

Edited by smrscott